The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

August 8th, and there they go.....

It's that time of year again.
FB is flooded with back to school pictures.
I guess us moms are all the same.
We all think it is such a big deal that our kids are heading off to school again.
It is.
HUGE.
The first day is always so surreal.

I have so much I have been letting go,
waiting until the kids are back in school....
(floor mopping being one of them).
that when they finally do walk out the door, 
I feel like I am in a 
dumb stupor.
I can't get my mind around what I am supposed to be doing.
...........
I did remember at the last minute that I upgraded from school store chair,
to secretary at Ryker's school. 
I managed to change out of my work out 
gear (too bad), and make it on time to our two hour meeting.
(hope I made the right choice!)
(it was really only 2 hours because we had to go to the bank to make some 
school account switches, etc.)

I also knew I wanted to get a post off on my blog.
Priorities!!
It is 12:25 already.....make that 1:00 now.....!
Geeeezzz.
The time is slipping away.

First, 
We said good bye to Cookie and Challemander last night.
Our friends the Quigleys are back in town.
(They were recently featured in the local paper also.....famous!)
I actually got up and turned to go let her out this morning,
caught myself before opening the boys door.
She was a fun little addition for 40 some odd days.
Cookie is a sweet and lovable dog.....
character and charm to spare.
But truly I am
happy she is back home with her family where she belongs.
....she might be missed just a little.
Saying good bye.
 McCauley wanted special hair for the first day of school....
I totally agreed.
I love these sleep in rollers so much!
 I made sure the kids started off with only the best in sugared cereal.
Come on....it's the first day!
It is supposed to be a party!!....right?
 Quality lunch fixins below
....practically the only thing salvageable
from our recent freezer disaster were the several boxes of
Uncrustables I had purchased.

I rode with Lawson (6th grade) and McCauley (2nd) who leave first at 7:50.
I was anxious to meet the new cross walk helpers.
We have been so spoiled over the past several years to have the kindest
most loving couple you would ever meet.
They finally retired.
Very sad.
The new ones seem ok at first meeting.
We will see as the year progresses.
I remember having mean cross walk people a few times.
It makes a difference I think.
Ethan is in 10th grade.
I have not seen him in jeans forever!
I was happily surprised when I saw he was wearing a pair today.
I liked it.
He seemed chipper and happy to be heading off.
He even turned to give me a picture....hmmmm.
He usually walks the half mile or so to school, 
 he did as well today.
 Ryker (8th) is the last.
This kid was pumped and ready to go....
he didn't say so,
but I could tell.
He didn't leave until 9:10.
I walked out with him and got a few good bye photos.

I love how they all have their new clothing on.
I think they each got four or five new shirts, new undies, some socks.
M purchase one extra shirt with her own money and has been soooooo
excited to be able to wear her new fashionable shirts.
I remember getting lots and lots of new clothes.
Our kids are not so lucky (or spoiled),
mostly just got what they really needed.
That doesn't mean I don't want to get them more....
(I half way bet I want it more than they do!)
I just know I shouldn't, because they have enough, 
I think it would take away from some of the specialness of it all.

Love these guys so much.
I hope this year is rewarding and magical.
Is that asking too much?

There is so much potential for a wonderful experience....
but also potential for things to go in another direction.
We just get to wait and see....
and hope
and pray.

I started on some of my projects.
I found the purple button I have been missing in my scary makeup 
drawer.....gonna get that sewed on.
Then I plan to get on to the removal of the green crayon smears in about 
thirty spots on the office floor.
Then I am going to try and fix a favorite shoe that recently came apart,
then mop,
then bake bread,
then make cookies to welcome the kids home.....
and prepare to devour every detail 
of their one and only first day of school for this year.
Sooooo excited! 
One bigger project I have on my mind for ASAP,
is to create a new blog page.
I finally dared to remove our family photo from the top of this blog.
I did it in hopes that it would let me change it to a new one....
no way.
It appears, like it has been telling me all along,
that I am out of space for this one.
So, time to start over.
I have got to research and find out how to make this guy into a 
book to keep.
.......see.......
another project I will have more time to tackle.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love love love your posts Melissa. I didn't get that overwhelming 1st day of school feeling today since only Claire and Laken went. Isa is home sick and the others start next week. But you have inspired me to make some cookies anyway! Cute Cookie collage too. Thanks again for adopting her while we were away. You guys are the BEST!!!

Sarah said...

Love it! Funny thing is that the first thing I did with my day was mop the floor! Ahaha -So don't worry- your not alone when it comes letting things of that nature slide a bit more over the summer. ;)

C and K said...

Love your posts. Love that you take pictures of your stuff to do! I sat and stared at my cluttered house, suitcases in the bedrooms and very dirty kitchen floor, and thought I just wanted to read my book! No reading done, but I did do some cleaning out that felt SO good! Yes, back to school is bittersweet, but some very sweet time to self! Thanks again for sharing!!!

HB said...

Where was Venessa for 40 days anyway??? I love how Cookie sits - she looks like a little person.

Ah - the first day of school...ah - the sleep in rollers. Very nice. So nervous and excited at the same time to go see everyone and start new classes.

I know you are going to get so much done with your "free" time. I can't wait to see your new blog - I didn't realize they ran out of space. If you do figure out how to do a book, let me know. If you don't find a way, we should invent one and get rich.

Love ya,
HB

Melissa said...

Thanks for the fun comments!! I love checking in and seeing little notes from you guys.

V - what a bummer Isa was sick! No fair on the first day. I still can't believe you and Colleen are just strolling in from weeks of vacation. You guys REALLY need the catch up time.

HB - Vanessa was in Utah for 40 days! yes, Cookie does look like a little person most of the time. I don't think blogs really run out of space, I have just run out of free space. I need to start paying monthly....but I think I would rather just rework a new one and focus and getting my original hard bound. I will keep you posted!!