The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Saturday, January 12, 2013

This little light of mine.

Tonight Kev and I had an interesting experience.
K had been gone working all day long, I thought it might be nice to 
try and sneak in a movie together.
I knew it would be tight, 
but we decided to give it a go.

He made it home,
sped through his shower. 
We made it to the theatre and through the line.
We asked the movie clerk if we were too late to make it to 
the show we wanted to see.
No, of course not, it is just starting.
Great!
Are there seats left?
oh yes, at least half the theatre.
Wonderful.

We made our way into the movie,
each holding a small popcorn and trying to be inconspicuous 
and respectful of those already seated and enjoying the show.

We waited off to the side for there to be a break in the action so we could
step across with out being too big of a pain.
It was very easy to see the entire theatre full of people as we waited and 
scoped out the place, 
scanning for two seats together.

There were none.
(That kid was waaaaaaaay off).
However we could see several seats scattered about,
and if a couple, 
or an individual moved one seat in one direction or another
we would be able to have the two seats that we required to enjoy 
the show as well.

I was a little hesitant to make the move to step over two people and ask
an older lady if she and her husband would mind sliding over one seat.
Kev said, ok, I got this.
I watched,
it was still very easy to see every thing going on.
He kindly asked if she wouldn't mind scooting over one seat.
She was instantly loud and pretty much enraged.
She said, no, she most certainly would not move down.
She picked this seat and this is where she intended to sit.
It was shocking and bizar.

ok.
We took our popcorn and moved along.
Again.....EVERYONE CAN SEE US.
We are sticking out like a puffy, red, sore thumb.
We come to another set of people,
this time with two seats right there available.
I ask if we can sit there,
no, I'm sorry these are saved.
Ok, I am sure they were.
This went on,
until the only option was to either sit on the absolute front row,
which Kevin went and did, or go up and brave the
lady actually laying on several seats.
I couldn't do the front row.
It makes me way to sick.
I decide to go back up and try the lady
laying over three
seats herself. 
Kev had me avoid her before saying she probably 
has a back issue. 
However, 
between she and her husband they 
were taking up 5 seats.
I go over, 
hi there, is there anyway you could slide either way so my
husband and I could have a seat?

I need these seats because I have an injury.
No problem,
but there are two seats on either end that are open,
would you mind?
(you had to walk to get into the theatre!!! I know you have the 
capacity to move!)
Finally she grudgingly had her husband move to her other side.

During the movie, a few times she was moving
around trying to get comfortable and
leaning toward my seat a bit,
I said she was welcome to the armrest if she
needed it.
She briskly said no with out looking my way.

After the movie we hustled out,
she had gone down a few minutes before the show ended,
and was just outside the door.
I noticed her and said goodbye,
have a good evening.
She averted her eyes and said nothing.

WHAT IS GOING ON AROUND HERE?
What is wrong with people?
We were completely flabbergasted by the cold indifference offered
up by pretty much an entire theatre of people.
At their hard fast self preservationess (my own word).....
Their complete lack of civility.
WOW.
Wow!
Did we crash a reunion?
Were all these people somehow related and we stumbled
into a private showing?
Geeeeeeeez.

It was really sad.  
I felt bad for them.  
Doesn't it feel good to be kind to others anymore?
To "help a brother out?"
To make room for everyone?

We didn't like seeing that.
We were both kind of shaken by the whole thing.
I know it was only a seat at a movie,
but it seemed to speak volumes about our current society.

I want a reminder of peoples innate goodness.
I know it is there.....surely we just got them on an off night.


please.thankyou.yourwelcome.afterme.afteryou.takemine.goodnight.
goodmorning.haveagoodday.
asmile.
"I suppose no one is as handsome or a beautiful as he or she wishes, or as brilliant in school or as witty in speech or as wealthy as we would like, but in a world of varied talents and fortunes that we can't always command, I think that makes even more attractive the qualities we can command - such qualities as thoughtfulness, patience, a kind word, and true delight in the accomplishment of another.  These cost us nothing, and they can mean everything to the one who receives them".                       

Jeffrey R. Holland 

2 comments:

HB said...

Wow is right. I really expected a happy ending. The silver lining to this story is you weren't alone in your experience, Kev was there to join in the excitement. Hope you enjoyed the movie at least. :) HB

Anonymous said...

i remember loving that talk by Elder Bednar. he is the most potent speaker to me. I'm glad you took that experience and decided to make it a point to remember something else instead. love you, A