The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Friday, January 11, 2013

RAGNAR Take Aways....

I wasn't going to do a write up for this Ragnar.
I wasn't feeling motivated, or inspired.
We did it.
It's done....good job team.

But today I finally got down to loading our photos onto my computer
from our run, Christmas, and so forth....
I quickly realized 
there was no way I could pass up talking about my teammates.
They are way to AWESOME!!

I was a little jealous of Tina's Welcome home sign her boys made her.
Well guess what folks??
McCauley hooked me up right!!
Booooya!
Look at this relaxing scene....an open chair waiting for me 
to flop down on and get some well deserved R&R.
(Thanks M....love you a whole bunch.  Glad to be home.)
2013 RAGNAR Florida
Miami - Key West
Last Ragnar I am ever going to do.
It was great....but I am done with these fellas.
I am graduating to Tri's or mud racing or something.

Here are a few thoughts about each of my team mates this go round.
Van mates are really what make or break a Ragnar.
I am happy to say these guys made mine.

This is Sonia, she may be on the quite side, but she is one amazing
lady.  I have known her for several years now.
I have watched her transform into the strong woman she is now.
She is an inspiring person, an example of patience and endurance for me.
Thank you Sonia!!
She was also my sleep mate throughout the trip.
We faked it for several hours in the van together while a 
zillion hippies and freaks loud mouthed it out side.
We decided laying there had to do something for us....
right? 
Lance.
Way to go buddy!
For real.
You held your own as the only guy.
You surpassed my expectations for your 
FIRST RACE IN YOUR LIFE!
It was great to have you along.
I hope you keep running, and running.
I also want to say, THANKS for all the driving.
You were a trooper.
I am sure we can all recall 
what it was like having Tina drive in the dark....
So help us.
Speaking of T.
I am very proud of this lady.
For someone that can tolerate very little contact with sweat and
things that smell, namely other humans,
and canned chicken,
you did remarkably well.
I think you were sort of spoiled by Amy a little.....
but dang it, you earned it.
I was so stoked with how amazing you did on your long 
9 miler....
I felt so proud of you.
There are very few dull moments with you around.
Vanessa was a True Hero.
She rocked every run.
She is a Hero because she did this all while also sustaining a 
severe bout of debilitating "Runner's Trots".
She spent more time in the porta potty then our 
entire team combined.
In the end though, it turned out to be a good lesson for one of us.
Tina admitted that V changed her life for the better.
 She taught her the system she used to survive her extended bouts in the ports....
involving baby wipes and holding her
breath while using them.
Tina will never forget the lesson.

Another thing about V....she is ALWAYS good for a photo.
Anytime is a good time for a shot.
I never feel like a freak when I pose for pictures if 
Vanessa is with me.
She is a mega poser and game for just about anything....
especially muscle shots,
my personal fav.
This girl is no quitter.  
 Amy!
Whooohoooo!
My little sissy baby saved the day.
First, she and Lance flew out here with very short notice.
Very big surprise to me....did not think they would be 
able to swing it in a million years...
(thank you family back in Utah!!)
Second, she was handing out massages left and right.
She brought a smile and some sweet relief to several runners.....
not me, but several others... ; ) 
She made our masks,
(which we lost in the van....until we got home)
decorated our van,
and was a fine example of Paleo eating.
She provided a constant stream of ham wrapped 
carrots and almonds.
As well as full sticks of celery packed w/ almond butter.
She offered up spoonfuls of avocado, 
and other non dairy, non grain, non legume, non processed items.

The one thing I did not expect from Aim was her 
stanche unwillingness 
to bend her Paleo ways.
This is not the sister I know.
In the past she has always been a junk food junkie...
with me!
She can take in sugar until the cows come home.
Sooooooo, for me, 
eating four doughnuts alone was really 
a let down.
Eating the tops off the 6 sweet rolls by myself was a huge downer
with no one to enjoy them with.

Sure, I still did it.
But it wasn't really that satisfying w/out someone 
i.e. my sis to share it with.
In all honesty.
She literally blew my mind with her will power of steel.
She was doing hand stands against any unmoving object,
sit ups on a whim,
jumping jacks on the fly.....
who is this masked man??
No one I am familiar with,
but 
someone I could certainly get used to in a speedy fashion!
It's just that I thought I was the healthy one.  
Geeez.
Amy was true to her eating until exactly after her last run.
Then it was 
C - YA PALEO....wouldn't wanna be ya!
She was off the wagon....
to the point of me having to pry 
a burnt cookie out of her hand when we got home 
to our place after 11:00pm Sunday night.

Aim.....no, we are not going to do this,
I will save it in a baggie for you to enjoy in the morning.
(actually I ended up enjoying it myself).

You are looking amazing!
You are the powerhouse I remember from our youth!!
The "Brick".

I enjoyed my runs.
Two were night runs, not the greatest to enjoy the city scenery.
I really enjoyed my final run, 
(when I was not lost during the last 
mile and a half or so).
Felt strong and capable....
most of us reported feeling this way.
I enjoyed being runner number 12....bringing our team home.
The best parts of the Ragnar are always the times when your
van comes to find and support you.
It is a boost,
 and makes you feel rejuvenated and special.
I loved having this person in town.
Good bye Ragnar days.
They were good times.
Look what I was eating during this post.....
wrapped carrots.
Thank you Aim!
Here is a video Tina put together for us.
Enjoy!
It is a sweet little wrap up of our time,
plus you can see the rest of our Justice League team,
Van 1 - They ROCKED THE HOUSE.

ooops...
I spoke to soon, this post was too long.
I got desperate for CHOCOLATE!
Brownies are in the oven. 
I will never be Paleo......It is good I was not born in
Caveman time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice little summary on our van. Glad to hear you aren't going Paleo! Thought I was going to loose you there for a bit:) Long live the brownies!!

Anonymous said...

LOved it. You are such a great writer. You have a gift for capturing a moment. I'm in for a Tough Mudder next! Let's do it!!!!

HB said...

FINALLY - I had given up on the Ragnar recap. So glad you decided to share. Looks like a lot of fun and hard work. Too bad you didn't have those masks for the run - they are AWESOME! My favorite photo is the picture Mc drew for you, how sweet is that? It is awesome Amy and Lance got to join you. I am hoping to hear what Amy has to say tomorrow...woot! Loved this post M. I'm proud of all of you and love hearing about your friends - it feels like I know them by now. Love ya. HB

Anonymous said...

M I love you so much! Thank you. You've been such an inspiration to me in so many ways but running especially. I remember so clearly when I wanted to back out of the marathon, (because I have kids, that was my main excuse and running takes too much time... I just don't know how... ). I wasn't expecting to be talked back into it, but I hung up the phone with new vigor and excitement ready to grab my tennies.
This time around with Ragnar I found myself frequently pep-talking lance into believing he CAN do this. I knew if he wasn't on board there was no way I could be!! So what if you've never run, and we only have 7 weeks, and your ankle may be messed up! Everything's fine we got this!
I know I can always count on you to be up for a workout.
You have the right balance for eating (the acid reflux after tossing paleo to the wind like a hurricane was coming still haunts me!! Ouchie!!).
I love that you value a good brownie like me and I marvel at your ability to call it good.
I made paleo brownies yesterday for mom Keri and hug, they all thought they were coconut barf! Fine by me- you know I ate them!
Lastly- I too loved our van. An awesome group, so good to lance and I! Thank you ladies. I love that m is in good hands! I want her back here so desperately but know she is loved and fits into a wonderful spot with you all:)
xoxo aim