The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

the FORGOTTEN GARDEN.....

Done.
I just finished my latest book club assignment.
the FORGOTTEN GARDEN
by: Kate Morton

Phew....
it has been a hot and heavy two day reading marathon.
Well, I was actually finished by 11:00 a.m. today.
So maybe just a full one day read-a-thon.

Don't get me wrong,
I have been reading it since the beginning of March,
but that is really only two weeks ago,
book club got bumped up this month due to spring break.
The first 200 pages were a bit slow for me.
This book has continuous switchbacks,
present, re-cent past, and past.
It took me a good bit of time just to get everyone straight.
I am a bit slow that way.

sooooooo....now I am set free again.

Kinda sad....fumbling around doing wash,
making food again for my family,
phone calls, etc.
Accidentally going to pick my book up when I have a few spare
minutes, only to remember I have already finished it.

Yesterday was a day much preferred.
5:00a.m.Wake up,
5:20 work out.
6:30 walk in door...begin reading.
7:00 arouse kids, nourish them, bike them to school.
7:15 get right to the business of reading.
9:00 hurry to school store, make a few sales, make deposit.
9:45 Choffy break.....walk around, limber up.
10:30 run 6 errands, bank, Walgreens, etc.
get caught up on Tina and Sonia's hair adventure through
pictures and text.
decline lunch date....musen't stray from my task.
11:30 Get home.
read.....tiny nap break.
up again, read more.
Choffy after lunch of some kind.
1:30 dying for something chocolate...
dig through house. 
nothing.
end up making muddy buddies with the rest of the Corn Chex.
ate those for the remainder of the day while reading.
.........
Book is getting good.
finally at page 313....there was a spark of "Romantic Tension"....
that always grabs my attention.

Book Highlights:
I love that "Tess of D'urbervilles was mentioned in the book on pg 352,
that is where McCauley's middle name came from.

"The Rub" was uttered on pg 402.....it is funny, V just said that the other day.
I like that phrase and plan on using it soon.
Today Stacey said, "here's the kicker".....I wondered out loud
if that was the same as "the rub"....
nope,
"the kicker" is a good thing......kind of like a bonus, or the best part.

I love in the book how they refer to coffee, or tea as a "cuppa"
or a "nice drop of warm"....definitely adding those to my vocab for
Choffy reference.

Best word reminder....
dithering - 190 - Stop dithering around!  YES....winner!

The gist of this book was about a women desperately seeking
to pull the threads of her family history together.
Trust me when I say they were in a bit of a tangle.
It was amazing where it all started,
the in's and outs, the intertwining
and all that happened to get her where she was....
and ultimately WHO she was.
I would recommend this book.


 Here is a typical "perfect reading conditions" set up,
a sample pack of what I might have when I read.
I actually had TWO cherry pop tarts....
why are they so dang good??!!
We only have left over green milk from St. Patties day,
I used my Choffy mug from yesterday....if you can see brown
flecks in the cup, that is why.
Must haves: lipgloss, and tons of water.
This way I only have to get up to go to the bathroom, 
refill my water, or get Choffy.
Sweet!!
Thought it would be fun to dress the part for book club tonight....
Eliza was always sweeping in our out in a "white cotton" dress......
soooooo why not?
This book was inertangled with fairytales...and imagination,
it was fun to fancy up a bit and drag it out a few more hours.
The next book is my pick.
Kind of scary and a lot of pressure.
No one wants to pick a dud....or something inappropriate.
I really want something fast, fun, exciting, and where 
I don't have to think too hard about the characters.
(I plan on taking it to read over spring break).
Someone gave me this book at the gym and raved over it.
Then several people walking by sang its praises.
It got 4.5 stars on Amazon.
I went for it.....it looks a little irreverent, innuendoes galore,
but I thought what the heck.
Stephanie Plum has an entire series of these books...
this is the first.
Maybe it will be the last.
Book club is here on April 17th!
I invite you to join us and read One For the Money....
or you can wait a few weeks, I will test it out first,
(just to be safe)
then you can borrow my copy.
HB....you should just read it for fun!

4 comments:

HB said...

You know the movie is coming out soon don't you? I have read (listened to) a Stephanie Plum book...I guess I should say a book by Janet Evanovich, but I haven't read this one. I'll be interested to know what you think. I'm sure there will be lots of funny close calls and def inuendo...It will be a fun, quick read is my guess.

What did your book club think of your white dress? Very cute.

Your reading set up is similar to mine only w/mentholatum. I have such a build up of books to read right now...

devanddar said...

I'm glad you liked Forgotten Garden. The "One for the Money" movie came out in February - I didn't see it yet! I love Janet Evanovich books, but I have never recommended them to anyone because of the language that she uses. But sometimes I laugh until I cry! I still think you should read "Unbreakable" by Lauren Hillenbrand. Here are a couple more good ones - "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield, "The Shell Seekers" by Rosamunde Pilcher, I love anything by Sophie Kinsella, and if you are into any sort of supernatural, fantasy type of books I love Cassandra Clare. Or just tell me to shut up about what to read. I have a book blog that I try to put everything I read onto - but I am a little behind right now. www.devinsbookblog.com if you want to check it out. Or maybe I told you this before? Happy reading!

devanddar said...

Sorry - it's devinsbookblog.blogspot.com

Melissa said...

Hi Devin.....going to check out your book blog today! Looking forward to it. Thanks so much for popping in and saying hi. I am with you on the language in "One for the Money" I definitely did my share of cringing due to the fact that it was my book choice. Yipes. Thanks for all the good book recommendations. I love it.