The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

1st Annual Garden OFF!


Our Long Delayed,
first attempt at gardening in Florida,
has begun.
I have wanted to start a garden forever.
I have listened to friends gush and ooooooooo and awwwwww
about their mega successes. Their fresh thises and thats.
The constant glee over, we have thus and such
coming out our ears!

I am convinced they have all the answers and we have none.
(Well, really only one friend).
I have partaken and drooled over her families produce,
they are always generous in sharing.
I have felt pangs of jealousy and inadequacy.
I have always known we need to have a garden.
But I have just believed we don't have enough information to try.
What is the point of trying?
I know it's not going to work.
We aren't brilliant enough to garden in Florida.

OK.
Get over it.
Maybe it boils down to one thing only....
L. A. Z. Y.
....too Lazy to try.

Luckily,
Lawson needed a family project for his Family Life Scout merit badge.
So Boom!
We are going to be Gardeners!

Just one problem.....
his name begins with K.
This certain person would not conform to the right and proper way
of growing a garden beach side in Florida.
He does not "believe" in purchasing dirt.
God gave us all the dirt we need right here under our feet.

He will not concede, or trust that no plant will grown in our amazing, 
salt laden sand Heavenly Father provided for us.
He won't back down.
He won't believe me when I tell him about my friend's successful garden....
and about all of the notes I have taken.
I know what to do, lets not reinvent the wheel.
Let's follow a PROVEN PLAN for our area.
Here are the school's gardens and raised beds.
I also grilled our gardening expert there...
she told me the same things my friend did.
We WILL FAIL, our plants roots will die, if we plant in the dirt.

(Exibit #1 - School garden....purchased dirt, beds that separate FL dirt from touching garden soil.  Look how hearty, healthy, and strong)

He is sticking to the FACT that Florida is one of the top growers of 
carrots in the world!!
Do we....(the kids and I were all on one garden team) actually
believe that these huge gardeners go purchase bags of dirt?
Do we seriously think they lay down weed controlling plastic or newspaper?
That they raise their planting beds?!!!
Don't think so.

After a bitter struggle.
He won all of the boys over to his side.....and McCauley half way,
cuz she planted items in both Kev's garden and mine.

Ok, that is fine.

I am just happy that we have our own garden(s) to love and nurture 
and do our best with.
This is not about winning,
or whose garden does better.

Mine is the little one up on the table away from the 
contaminated ground.
I am so happy with the kid's feeling of stewardship over our new little babies.
They literally weed and fret over it every day, 
(the one on the ground, mine does not get weeds) 
WITH OUT BEING ASKED!
They go out together to check on it.
They play catch out by it.
Send progress photos and updates to K on his trips.
(Look at the new growth, the small corn plants pushing through for life, sun, and air....
such a miracle.  The blossoms, the beautiful detail.)

 We are struggling to keep a strawberry attached long enough to become
fully ripe.
Our Animal robbers are very active.
M had very good intentions of saving a little strawberry,
she built a brick barrier to keep the animals away.
It had a hole in the top for sunshine....
that plant died over night.
Hey, it was worth a shot.

This bush is out front.
I purchased and planted it in this pot when we moved in thirteen years ago.
At one point I could see it was getting too large for the 
small container, so I wanted to replant it 
to give it a fighting chance.
I went to move it and realized right away that it had taken 
care of the matter on its own.
Its roots had broken through the bottom and were 
firmly rooted deep in the soil below.
I was thrilled.
Good job buddy!
I love this plant because just about every year I am sure it is the 
end of its days.
I just know it's dead.
It goes brown, very dormant, unattractive,
it really looks completely dead.
I get ready to replace it, and then just like magic....
the tiny green buds begin again.
This plant gets tons of beautiful bright yellow flowers
pretty much all summer long.
It tricked me again just this month.
I knew it was all over.
Dang it, I'm going to miss you little guy......
yet look at it now.
(yes, I am a slow learner.)
 You can see our first tomato below, 
(my plant....no big deal I just figured you were curious)
That tree out front has a twin sister we planted around 5 years ago.
I was 94% sure they would not make it.
How could they?
We don't know the first thing about taking care of trees properly!
Yet once again
nature takes over and is proving me wrong.
I love these trees, they are beginning to offer shade and beauty to our 
small yard.
These pink flowers are on the front porch....
I always check out the clearance section at Lowes.
I see what is half price and nearly dead.
Why pay full price when it likely will die anyway?

LOOK AT THEM!
GORGEOUS, Generous Blooms, plenty of life!
That big black pot on the bottom is from several years ago,
That one guy, my competition, purchased me an extremely thoughtful 
Mother's Day gift one particular year.
I was very surprised.
This container was jam packed with tons of lush, beautiful plants.
I have managed to keep a few of them alive.
It is amazing what a little watering can do.
I love that Heavenly Father provides such Bounty.
Such FOOL Proof ways for us to feel satisfaction and joy.

I hope to be like that plant I mentioned, the tree that dug its roots in for dear life.
Not to be swayed by the wind, or tossed.
Grounded. Alive. Faithful. Steadfast. Solid. Strong.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dad and I are so proud of all of you! There is nothing like watching your efforts come to life right before your eyes. We have yet to plant anything this year since we are getting snow, wind rain and freezing temps. continually with a few amazing days thrown in.
However, Uncle jim has already planted peas, 15 kinds of lettuce, Broccoli, cabbage and radishes!
So we have allowed the weather to scare us off. Keep us posted on how each garden is doing and Melissa I think you will be ahead of the game!

HB said...

Good post!!! I WANT SPRING!! I can't believe all this is happening for you RIGHT NOW. It just snowed here again yesterday. In the valley we can plant around Mothers Day - up where I live we have to wait until Fathers Day...Oh well.

Yes, I'm sure we were just curious about this friendly competition. I laughed loudly - may have woke Trav up from his deep sleep. I will certainly be interested in regular updates. I think it is awesome that the kids are excited about this project - such a good one. I will say one thing for your side...I guarantee the farmers do some sort of fertilizing of the ground - for instance crops have to be rotated or the dirt becomes fallow. I will be very interested to see how everything ultimately turns out!!

Great Post M. HB

HB said...

HEY MOM - We both posted at the same time! What are you doing up?