The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Back to real life again.

Spring break has come to an end.
What a great, fun, unplanned, unscheduled week we had.
The week began with our big annual ward cake auction and spagetti dinner.
This is the one fund raiser we do each year to benefit the youth program
and help with high adventure trips, scout camps, etc.
My Choffy cake went for BIG BUCKS!!
It is a pretty hot ticket item around these parts.
Grab the RECIPE HERE if you'd like it. 
The pictures below are a few of the items we bid on and won.....
the I-Phone cake by one of our young women,
Ryker and Aaron's cheese cake (mom's recipe),
Giant chocolate cup cakes.....
There is Tina and Christi w/ Tina's S-more Cake....SUPER YUMMY!
Toby's Tower of Doom-nuts.
It was a fun night and a huge success. 
We also had a court of honor for our scouts.
Toby got his Eagle....Great job!
Ryker is in the pipeline for his.
 This is where the week got really good....
for me : ) anyway.
I was pulling jobs and projects out of my hat like a magician.
The kids would have been happy sitting the days away in front of the
computers and gaming systems.
But not I.
I certainly don't mind a portion of each day being taken up with that past time,
but while there is still breath in my body I will help them 
make other,
 better choices on how they spend the majority of their time....
even on Spring Break.

I had the gang out cutting, and hacking down dead wood in our yard,
they dug out stumps, 
Axed through limbs and carried them out.
I LOVED IT!!
(and truth be told....I don't think they minded it much)
This got them energized to put on their backpacks and ride to 
Walmart for something they needed for their gaming system....
cuz oooops, I'm stuck at home trying to get caught up on some important things.
ALRIGHT!!  See you in a while...You go boys!
Cookie was here with us for a short visit as well.
She is always a welcome guest.
The weather has been pretty chilly, but we managed one afternoon at the 
beach with friends.
It was so relaxing and enjoyable to sit and visit and listen to 
the waves wash in and out.
The kids had a blast creating this Lord of The Rings structure.
LoVE the work of imagination!  and Team Effort!
 Another Favorite project:
The ceiling of the play room.
I have been putting it off forever, because it is
soooooo hard and tedious.
Well, that is because last time I did it by myself, probably pregnant.
This time,
I demonstrated  how to wipe every slat and groove,
moving the ladder and rinsing the cloth often and squeezing almost all of the
cleaning solution out so it doesn't drip into your eyes, etc.
Then Ryker and Ethan finished the job!
Having older BIG KIDS IS A DREAM!!
When they have something they really want to do,
and all they have to do is get "mom's job list done first"
They are angels and extremely hard workers.
It's called LEVERAGE.
It keeps the peace and makes everyone happy in our home.
M dusted and vacuumed the entire house,
she is happy listening to my little ipod.
Look at the team doing dishes, they figured it could be done
quicker if one rinsed and the other washed.
GOOD JOB GUYS!
I Love spring break.
I get sooooooooo much done with these guys around.
I kinda hated to see them go back so soon.
Hope you had a wonderful Easter.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say I hated reading your blog this time. It brought back memories from years ago of my mom and how many lists we did on weekends and holidays! I'm sure she had that same gleem in her eyes that the kids saw in yours. All giddy and elated to have them in your power for so many hours of their time off from the pressures of school.
Holding over their heads promises of what they could do once the imporant things were done for MOM! Oh the power of being a mother who can crack the whip and herd the little slaves around at will. I unfortunately didn't realize the tight grip I had in my power over you kids until it was to late. But you have learned from my poor example! Keep it up my girl and know that my mom would be mighty proud of you!

Melissa said...

Oh please.....these guys are totally spoiled. They are way too lazy for their own good. I HAVE NO CHOICE but to assist them until they are ready to head out at the age of 18. Cuz if they don't learn it at their mother's knee.....they will learn it at some other joint. Am I right? Don't dream to flatter me that I have them in "my power" HA! Not hardly. It is just super fun to have a little leverage now and then. Thanks for the comment Gammy : )

HB said...

Hey - we had Saturday chore lists...My mother taught me to clean a bathroom with attention to detail and how to get the most out of the space in a dishwasher. I learned to like yard work via the Saturday chores as well. I have many memories of helping Dad with projects about the house - probably more in the way than being useful, but I still remember trying to help out. These are very distinct memories for me. I guess the only thing I would say is I should have been held more accountable for daily duty on my own space - Make my bed, keep my room clean. Now I JUST clean on the weekends (except the kitchen of course) and this creates procrastination and I do not keep up on laundry and such during the week. Oh well. Childhood was good - projects are good for kids and I loved reading this post. I remember this past year how M's kids helped paint my fence. They weren't super enthusiastic, but they were good sports and very helpful - it is good for them to do a little work.