The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

FCAT Bonding ....

 This week starts the "dreaded" FCAT testing for Florida Students.
What school is all about these days.
The ever anticipated, hyped up week long state mandated tests that 
judge how our kids are doing in school.

Dumbo.
Huge waste, unfortunate, and all that.
But, just because I, and I'm pretty sure every other parent feels the same,
 means nothing.....they will still happen.
So around here, and everywhere that children are in public school,
I am sure these tests are built up,
and 
focused on like crazy.

One of the big tips is to have your children get
enough sleep this week.
 Also, to be sure to get a hearty, breakfast each day.
The rest of the days of the year.....what ev.....but these few days,
really be careful and attentive and whatever you do 
don't mess up.

Ok.
I'm down with that.

So I make the big announcement,
Kids, tomorrow expect a big FCAT breakfast.
I want your brains to be in full gear.
They all say the FCATs are easy, and don't seem to notice all the hubbub....
which I am grateful for.

Yesterday I woke them up with the wafting smell of bacon, eggs, and crossants.
Plus a mini super charged green spinach shake which they all appreciated.
We all sat at the table and enjoyed our breakfast together.....
minus K : ( he is back in Asheville.

Last night L says, hey mom, I don't have testing tomorrow, 
but could we have another FCAT breakfast in the morning?
Heck yes we can.

This morning we sat down to Colleen Johnson's best ever 
banana chocolate chip bread muffins 
(recipe will be provided!!)
Along with dark chocolate silk Almond milk K purchased.
Yummo!
So, here is the part I really wanted to write about:

We are again sitting together at the table with a cloth on 
and the whole shebang.
We are enjoying our hot muffins.....
and Lawson says,
Hey everybody, 
When was a time when something really painful happened to 
you that you remember?

(crickets)

We are all intrigued.
He has us reined in.
We aren't sure if this is leading up to a punch line,
or if he really wants to know.

I say that I have one.....
Do you guys remember the time when the horse stepped on my foot and I fainted 
into the barbwire fence?
Mom!!  You can't always use that one.
Ok, what about the time I dropped my jello in grade school and I 
hit my knee picking it up and fainted off the bench.
Are you kidding!!?  That is so long ago.
Ok, ok, wait.....oh yeah! 
Having all of YOU!!
That hurt pretty badly.
No, that doesn't count.
Finally having kidney stones was accepted.

M remembers the time that Ryker pushed her down
onto the bricks after she head butted him in the 
Stomach trying to be friendly. 
R reenacted that several times and we laughed our heads off.

L shared the time he had a painful pimple 
right on his nose.  
He had to pop in a huge rush because 
his friend was waiting outside for him.
It was the most painful day of his life so far.

R recalled the night he ran into the spicket at church playing
man hunt.  It tore his favorite jeans and he has the scar to
prove it.  Lawson showed us his scar on his leg from doing the 
same thing another time....

Ethan....we were all looking at him,
waiting....he said, well, it hurt pretty bad having Mursa and
going on the sling shot ride several years ago.
We roared with laughter,
and
amazement at how long Ethan went on not telling Kev 
and I that he had a huge boil like cyst on his rear-end.
It was so sad.
He was so embarrassed, and it hurt him so badly, he was limping,
(YES we asked obviously.....he told us it was from his bike crash,
which he really did have at this same time)
He would not sit on his butt.
I remember getting mad at him for always reading on his hands
and knees behind the couch.
I was like,
what is going on?
Let's take you to the doctor!.....NO.
I'm fine mom.
It is nothing.
He was so adamant.
One day K gave him a little swat on the rear, 
you know how sporty guys do.....
like to say, that a boy!
Ethan came unglued and went off on him.
We were all dumb founded.
Gee....K does not know his own hand strength.
The night of the slingshot ride in Orlando we had taken the kids 
on a "special" outing to see the live Pirate show.
All through dinner on the hard benches
Eth had to sit on one side and try to make it
through with out saying a word.
He never complained.
........
I have been baking bread, making favorite cookies....
all in the name of FCAT.
Not really.
Guess I am just feeling so grateful for our children.

 I am so broken hearted and afraid for the Provo, Utah family whose
little girl did not come home from school yesterday.
Charice Beaumont.

This could be any one of our stories.
Provo is a safe place.
Satellite Beach is a safe place.
I guess this is hitting me so hard because 
the little girl reminds me of M.
I know the place....
McCauley rides her bike to school often.....mostly with Lawson 
on his skate board, but occasionally she will ask if she can 
leave early.... sometimes I say yes.
I am back to riding with them.
Why wouldn't I?
Who cares what class I have coming up...
I have time to be with our children and soak them up.
While they are in my care.
While I can Behold Them and Learn from them.

I am sure you are praying for the family as well. 
...........................

M has become quite the responsible little mother's helper.
(L reverently snuck these shots for me.)
Last night during his Family Home Evening presentation R found 
this long attached hair.
It took him forever to pull it out.
(I'm kind of surprised he didn't recall this as his most painful event!)
The rest of us had a grand time watching and offering to hold
his under eye skin down while he pulled.
A great shot of L during Soccer.
 Sure love these guys.
.............

One more thing real quick.
Last night the most glorious thing happened.
I was saying good night to the boys.
I had gone over and said to Ryker, come here and give me 
a big hug....he did,
next thing I hear....or think I may have heard, but doubted it very much,
was 16 year old Ethan say,
hey, can I get one of those?
................
He did say it.
................


5 comments:

C and K said...

LOVE. As always. You put me to shame with my toast and turkey bacon breakfasts. I want some of those muffins too! Thank you for your wonderful posts. You have such wonderful observations, and find joy in the little things, like I always hope to do. Sure love you!

HB said...

This was a fun post. It sounds like you can get some good stuff from the kids at breakfast - FATC breakfasts should be made a tradition - maybe you can change the acronym to Friday's Absorb The Chow Breakfast - or something the kids come up with to make sure it becomes a regular quality time moment. I know I could stand more of these stories. It is awesome that you captured their stories here.

I will now be curious to see how they all do on the FATC tests - since they all say it is easy. Do you remember that time you were on a date at the Jazz game and your date reached over to get a hair off your neck and it was attached? I think of this often when I find a rogue hair like R did - it is one of my worst fears that will happen to me someday. I guess it could be worse.

Great post!! Love you all! HB

Melissa said...

Thank YOU Colleen for supplying our family with our favorite muffins! I appreciate your comments.

HB - actually, No. I do not recall the rogue hair incident, but thank YOU for describing it, and remembering it so faithfully for me. I can understand why I have buried it. Great idea on making our Big Breakies a Friday tradition....I'll see how that one plays out. : )

Anonymous said...

Hey Melissa just thought you would like to know. We were up at Heathers for dinner the other day and had the chocolate choffey cake. JP loved it and has requested it for his birthday cake! I need the recipe. When you come this summer, I need to officially try choffey. Its hard to believe, but I have not even tried it. C ya soon, Mel

Melissa said...

Yeah!!! The Choffy cake is pretty amazing....glad JP liked it. I will hook you up with the recipe....as well as some amazing Choffy this summer. In the meantime, my mom has a ton of Choffy at the house. She can walk you through how to make it. I will email you a link to the recipe. It is on the blog.....(of course!).