The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Proven strategies for staying warm.....

If you know me, you know I am "thrifty".
Maybe you also know I like a good challenge.
It has been record breaking (at least it feels like it) cold the past few days 
here in Florida.  Well, one of the challenges I have set for myself is to never run the heater in Fl.
It's FLORIDA for heck sake!!
Several, I'm guessing at least three years back, when I was still 
paying our bills, I was shocked to see our electric bill.
It was outrageously high, and clearly there had been an error in 
the meter reading or something.
I called FPL, and they sent someone out straightaway to take a look.
When the service man was here looking at the meter he asked me to look at the meter with him.
He had me go click on the heat, then come back and look.
That meter was booking!!!...it was speeding around and around.
The guy said that heat was the most expensive thing to run in the house.
Way more costly than the air conditioner.
Whoa.....!
Good to know.
Well, since that time I have not had the heat on.
No need.
I have come up with other ways to stay adequately warm on these days 
when it is 59 degrees inside.
  • Many Layers of clothing
  • Automatic Oven cleaner (last night finally got the grease out from the turkey spill over)
  • Baking
  • Loads of Hot Cocoa
  • Make toast several times a day
  • Hot lemon water ....yow!!! Pucker up!
  • Running in place
  • Roaming the house with blanket wrapped around waist like a towel
  • Mid day baths
  • My Favorite....my desk hand warmer....Plenty of Candles - when we get a little too chilly I just light a few more candles.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
(Art work by McCauley, don't you love the eye lashes?)
Am I the Grinch?
Sometimes....

This song has caught my attention this year.
I never gave it a second thought in the past....
but this year I really took a listen, and I truly think they added a few verses.
Just when you think it is over, here comes another slew of absolutely outrageous insults.
I am going to try and fit many of these into my vocabulary...
can you imagine how fun these would be to 
fling at the one you are having, 
shall we say, a disagreement with.
I bolded the ones I am really hoping to use.
(unfortunately I couldn't locate this long version for your listening enjoyment)




Lyrics to "You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch"
a.k.a The Grinch SongYou're a mean one, Mr. Grinch
You really are a heel!
You're as cuddly as a cactus
You're as charming as an eel,
Mr. Grinch!
You're a bad banana with a
Greasy black peel!
You're a monster, Mr. Grinch
Your heart's an empty hole!
Your brain is full of spiders
You've got garlic in your soul,
Mr. Grinch!
I wouldn't touch you with a
Thirty-nine-and-a-half-foot pole!
You're a vile one, Mr. Grinch
You have termites in your smile!
You have all the tender sweetness
Of a seasick crocodile,
Mr. Grinch!
Given the choice between the two of you
I'd take the, um, seasick crocodile!
You're a rotter, Mr. Grinch
You're the king of sinful sots!
Your heart's a dead tomato splotched
With moldy purple spots,
Mr. Grinch!
You're a three-decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwich
With arsenic sauce!
You nauseate me, Mr. Grinch
With a nauseous super naus!
You're a crooked dirty jockey
And you drive a crooked hoss,

Mr. Grinch!
Your soul is an appalling dump heap
Overflowing with the most disgraceful assortment of rubbish imaginable
Mangled up in tangled up knots!
You're a foul one, Mr. Grinch
You're a nasty, wasty skunk!
Your heart is full of unwashed socks
Your soul is full of gunk,
Mr. Grinch!
The three words that best describe you are as follows and I quote:
Stink, stank, stunk!

Stay WARM !!

4 comments:

Mamapierce said...

I would like to not have our heat on, but it's freezing cold in here! We have 4 sliding doors to our patio and I blame them for all the heat escaping! My daughter, Iryna, has no body fat on her anywhere - so even when I bundle her up from head to toe, she's still cold. Poor girl. :(

Shelly Hyde said...

You ARE a CRAZED woman. But i LOVE YOU!

Melissa said...

Yes Jill, you bring up a good point...this methods are NOT for everyone! Happy Holiday ladies!!!

HB said...

Well...I'm not sure employing the Mr. Grinch song into your vocabulary won't bring about "regret, relent, repent"...although I don't doubt you will have opportunity to use it while you are here visiting!! :)

I also HATE the high heating bill...no choice in this area - have to keep the house warm so the pipes don't freeze.