The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Friday, July 6, 2012

Summer Road Trip Photo Frenzy....

wowsa!
Talk about a lot of photos!
here is a handful of the best.
This post is a quick look back over last month's 
MEGA Road Trip across the USofA.
I say quick because I am going to try to use minimal words
to recap our fun....
and
hopefully I will be able to add a video for your 
pleasure at the end.

The best part of the trip for me was the driving out to 
Yellow Stone with Kevin and the kids.
You will see why as you go through the pictures.
We drove the looooooong way from Satellite Beach, FL
to (eventually), Kaysville, UT.

These may not be in chronological order....
but we did all of this stuff at some point,
so you will get the gist,  and we will be able to recall good memories
when we browse this string of photos.

These shots are from Cumberland Gap, TN (I believe)
This was a fun little look out point we veered off to.
It is also the home of the 
"1 MILE TUNNEL".
This brings me to reason #1 that I loved the drive out 
to Utah.
The curiosity that we were able to employ.
Kev would say something like, 
"Hey, that looks interesting, should we check it out???"  
"Why Not."??
So we would.
We did this many times over.
Sometimes it would take us a bit farther away from our ultimate
destination, 
but.....Who Cares??
We didn't....
we wanted to relax and see some of this 
magnificent country we live in.
 It was liberating to be in charge,
and yet not have a single plan of where we were going next.
Not to be rushed and hurried....for once.

These next photos were from North Carolina,
we pulled off to watch a bunch of river rafters, and kayaking.
We sat around and put our feet in the crispy water and 
decided we will have to come back here again.
We need to river raft as a family ASAP.
This was a fun spot to stretch and relax. 
 These were taken in Chatanooga, TN  
We went to Look Out Mountain, where you can see
6 or 7 different states at once.
Pretty cool.
It was a beautiful area.
 We came across a very enjoyable Civil War museum. 
We spent a bunch of time there.
K was really into it....the boys were making plans to 
get their hands on any kind of confederate money, flags, 
or rare documents so they could leave them 
around for Grandpa Dana to find.
They thought this place was big time fun.
We rode the tram up the steep incline and took in the sights.
 In Dayton Ohio, we saw the "Great American Ball Park"....
and this super cool Air Force museum.
This was the day of the only disagreement K and I got into 
on our whole trip.
It lasted a few hours....
but dissipated 
as soon as we found my name sake airplane.
Loved seeing my name plastered up on the side of the plane like that.

This museum was massive!!
So much to see....planes, helicopters, and memorials of all kinds.
It was so well done, and very entertaining.
not to mention....
FREE!!
This picture of the women pilots I had to have....
I pretended it was myself and my girls.
 Some fun random views....
corn fields aplenty.
Kev loved pointing these out to us, time and again.
They just never got old...
ever.
These tall and strange moving vehicles were also aplenty.
Beautiful sunsets each night.
Chocolates on my lap.....a sight I ALWAYS love.
Choffy and creamer at my feet, 
plus the bargain book I found at one of our stops....
"Age Erasers"...... I have had the best time with this book.
and it was only 5 bucks!
Steal of the trip I think.....I am still referring to it.
 A super fun highlight was meeting up with my Aunt Danae in 
Nauvoo, Illinois.
On this day she was serving in the School House 
for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
It was fun to pop in on her, and then hear her tell us about the 
saints of olden time.
Love you Auntie!!
 Kevin's favorite stop on our quick visit was the 
Gun Smith Shop.
We heard the history of John Browning.
K was mesmerized and fascinated with this man... his 
genius, generosity, and goodness.
If he wasn't a Browning Gun fan before....he certainly is now.
 McCauley got to make her own rope at the Family Center.
She was extremely stoked by this.

We concluded that we want to come back and spend more time
at Nauvoo.....we did not get to see all that we wanted, 
and can picture coming back just to visit this great place of Church history.
We ended up following the Mormon Trail for the rest of this day and 
into the next.  All back roads, winding through towns surrounded by
fields and cows and green.
Loved the slower pace for a time.
 This same day Kev introduced the "Shouting Tree" to our family.
Being in the car for hours on end,
in such tight quarters with one another, occasionally brought out 
negativity.
Kev told us to "Save it for the Tree"...
at the end of the day,
when we all needed a little alone time K found a private area
that each person got to walk up to,
and have a few minutes to unload any built 
up negativity they were harboring. 
This helped us get on peacefully with our trip.
This proved to be not only a smart idea....
but, a pretty entertaining one as well.
 The giant wind mills went on forever!
A few times we saw large semi trucks carrying one of the 
arms of one of these big boys.....
talk about unbelievably big!
One arm is like the size of a whale.....really!
maybe I am way off....but I don't know what else to compare it to.
 Bridges, tunnels, and overpasses!
So much variety!
 McCauley and I finally got to see Mount Rushmore.
The boys have gone with K for the past several years on their annual
hunting trip, but this was our first time to see 
their stomping ground while they are away on their
"guy trip".  
They took us through the Black Hills and showed us some of the places
they stay, and their favorite hangouts to eat at.
We finally made it to YellowStone!!
Immediately upon driving into the park, the wildlife was upon us.
What a fun thrill!

We surprised Kev's parents for their 50th wedding anniversary.
His whole family spent a few days near the park in some
super sweet cabins.
It was great seeing everyone.

One of the books I read on the drive was 
"The Kitchen House"....I loved it.
This book got me into trouble a few times....
occasionally my reactions
were delayed when K was trying to point out something to me on the
drive....he didn't appreciate me being so into my book.
I made a point of having quick responses in the future.

Feet on the dash, and a great book is reason #2 
that I loved the drive out so much.
Pure relaxation, and doing exactly what I wanted to be doing.
Reading, Eating, and Drinking
doing all three 
in the company of my loved ones.
HA!!
My perfect vacation.
I realized I could go for weeks on end like that.
Drink, Read, Eat, Pee, 
repeat.
Look, talk, laugh, take in the beauty.
Read.
Pour Choffy, eat Junior mints, read, shed a few tears over story.  
Check out the bear, be amazed by the waterfall,
feel grateful for each other....
read, fall asleep for a few minutes,
have K take my picture with my mouth open and me looking 
like I'm a million years old.....
and so forth.
The Best of times.

 The kids and I learned we HATE Wasabi Peas....
I always assumed that the white covering on the peas
I saw at gas stations was white chocolate.
So the taste that immediately hit my taste buds was a huge shocker 
when K was passing them out.
Buh-Arf.
We could hardly get the fish or any other wild life to give them a snif.
  Yellow Stone Falls.....
note to self - 
remember to wear some kind of foot wear other than cheap, 
thin flip flops for the hiking.
Kinda slowed me down a bit.
Happy 50th Deanne and Delbert!!!
We love you!

It snowed the second night we were there!
It is June Folks!  So this seemed surprising to me.
...but totally AWESOME!
 HAD to stop at Bear World on the way home.
HAD TO.
Kev's pool guy hat was worn by him A LOT on this trip,
as well as every other family relation.
It was a pretty popular prop.
 Good bye Christensen clan.....

Helllllll-o Dana's
....incoming Cherry Hills, Waxing, Lash tinting,
Lagoon, Spa time, and my older Brothers extra great photo ops.
 We ate a ton of cabbage at my parents.....their garden held mega 
heads of it.  
I do love cabbage!!
We celebrated Father's Day....
on this of days one of the craziest 
things happened while we were putting the final touches on dinner.
My sister Heather and her hubby were there with my parents and I.
My mom noticed a little grape juice around the base of a large
glass container of homemade grape/lemonade.
She had me lift it so she could slip a towel underneath it.
As I lifted it,
 the entire bottom came off!!!
GALLONS of juice came pouring out.
I tried to slide it over to the sink but,
the amazing onslaught of juice was EVERYWHERE!!
That was so very bizar, and sticky, and messy and shocking!
and STICKY.
 We sewed late at night working on Amy's trademark 
personalized dolls for my friends back home.
Keri colored my hair and nearly every grandkid got a little 
lick of color to.....cuz
Why Not?
Love our families!
Loved our visit!
Loved our road trip.
Thanks for the memories!

6 comments:

Mamapierce said...

Holy Cow! You weren't kidding about a lot of pictures! You went to the Air Force Museum at WPAFB. That museum is 3 hangers wide - HUGE! I can't wait to take Keith there as he didn't think about airplanes before we moved to FL. So glad you had a great time. And my grandfather flew the Strawberry B**** airplane back in his day. Ha ha.

Melissa said...

Way coool about your grand dad. Awesome! Keith is going to loose his mind in that museum! It was definitely a major highlight of our trip!

HB said...

Finally...what a great post and what great memories. I LOVED the video - you are getting so good at those. I am going to go back and look at all those photos again. I LOVED the screaming tree...Kevin is so clever. Did he just make that up or did he hear it somewhere? So...I take it the one huge fight that lasted a few hours was your fault? Or were you just holding the grudge until you saw the...light? Very funny M, very funny. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences. It sounds like you had a great time.
Love ya,
HB

HB said...

OH - P.S. It was GREAT to see you and your fam again. I am so grateful you make the effort to come back to visit every 6 months or so. Thank you. HB

Melissa said...

HB - it is my understanding that K just came up with the tree idea.....he was just kidding around, but it stuck right away with the kids. They were like dad, when are we going to stop at the tree? and if someone started to whine or complain about anything another person would just pipe up, hey, save it for the tree, remember? It was pure genius.
No HB....actually the fight was not really my fault....but rather K and I both had a part in it. But it did bring out my Strawberry colored side. Too long to go into in the blog....but kind of an interesting story all the same. Has to do with The Kings Island amusement park....which we did not end up going to.

Anonymous said...

OOhhhh!, I love it!
Thank you Min.
A