The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Sunday, October 13, 2013

There Isn't A Person You Can't Love.....


Had a great time at church today,
I'm excited to share a recap with you.
It was a well spent four hour block of time.
I say 4 hours.....rather than the normal 3, 
because McCauley and I have joined the choir!!
Sheeeesh.
We don't know what we are doing.....
at least I don't.
M is lucky enough to have music a few times a week at school,
she is really enjoying it.
I am bumbling my way along.

I won't lie....
It is torture making myself walk in that room and stay that extra hour....
however, once we get going, 
the time scoots by pretty quickly.
It's just the getting started part,
 the part when you see everyone else walking out to their
cars to go gorge themselves on food and sleep.
Jealousness.
I tell myself this is only temporary.....just until after Christmas.
..................
Anyway,
sacrament was excellent.
We had three great speakers, a youth speaker, and 
a sister that is fairly new to our ward that I don't know well.
She shared some personal experiences with us,
and a strong testimony. I know her much better now.
I am happy for that, and thankful for the trust she had in us to open up.
The last speaker, a brother in our ward was giving a good talk,
just kind of going along.
I was listening, 
but sometimes veering off to watch these guys.....
 The Jorgensen's have twins.....they are hard not to stare at.
At one point McCauley had her head down, 
and suddenly popped 
up and said that she had counted the speaker saying 42 ums so far.
oh. K. 
This surprised me, 
because  
I had actually also started mentally counting them as well.
(stay with me....this sounds like I am bashing this poor brother,
I am not....hang in there)
When at last he came to what he really felt inspired to say
to us today,
his entire countenance changed.
 His talk became personal,
and meaningful to him,
which in turn, made it personal for us and brought 
him into full focus, for me at least.
The ums were lost,
 and he was now speaking from his heart.
He said that the sister before him had changed what he had
intended to say for the course of his talk.
She had shared how her father had died,
and he felt impressed to share his own experience.

He was on his mission when he got a call from his mission president 
to come to the mission home.
When he got there, 
the president told him that he needed to call home.
This brother said that he thought the mission president was 
testing him or something,
because just the previous week he had called home for Mother's Day.
No,
go call home son.
He spoke with his mom, she told him that his father had passed away that morning
from a sudden heart attack.

He was shocked.
It was so sudden.
The loss so full and instant.
After as he was alone, the emptiness was terrible.
He prayed.
He told us that he prayed for Christ's Atonement to work in his life.
He was filled with a deep love and peace.
It filled him up.

He was sharing the experiences of his heart.
The spirit was very tender.

Throughout it all,
 I kept thinking of my own dad.
This brother sort of looked like him.
I'm serious....when he was much younger.
But the thing that really got me, 
was when this fellow pulled a white handkerchief out of his pocket.
He said he is always prepared.
My dad also, 
always carries a folded, ironed, white handkerchief.

That used to be one of my few jobs when I was younger,
ironing dad's white hankies.
First,
 lay them out and iron flat, then iron in half,
then fold into fourths, 
iron. 
Repeat all the way down to a small square.
I liked seeing my little stack grow tall.
My dad had a ton of hankies.

This brother did something else like my dad,
he dabbed his eyes and nose, just like him!
It was so great.
I realized this is a wonderful association I have for my father,
one I was not aware of before.

Just the other day I practically broke into tears at Publix because
I saw a box of brightly colored straws.....
these make me think of my mom!

Life is precious.
Memories.
Relationships.
Sharing.
............................
The second best part of church was during Sunday School.
Again, Brother W nailed it, 
but with something that at first 
sounded kind of simple and insignificant.
He likes to go around the room and have people introduce themselves 
and share something personal.
A few weeks ago it was something others would not know about us.
This week he asked us to share, 
THE NICEST THING ANYONE HAS EVER DONE FOR US.

Ok, easy, one popped right into my head.
As we went around the room I was astounded time and 
again with the precious insight I was glimpsing 
into each person's life.  
I don't really know any of the people in the class well.
Some are brand new converts,
others are just coming back to church,
still others, like me,
 come to this class because it is a little more low key,
back to basics.
Several are missionaries.

Here are a few Nice Things I made note of:

Brother V said he remembers the time when he was 10 years old,
he was supposed to mow a yard for someone, but did not show up.
His older brother went and did the job for him,
and then took him horseback riding with the 
money earned from the job.

A sister missionary shared the time her older brother 
gave her a piggy back ride up the temple steps 
when she had a cast on her leg.

A brother shared that he had left the church
23 years ago, but the nicest thing was that the 
sister missionaries found him at the library
and invited him back.

Jim told us of the time his car broke down in a blizzard
going up Parleys Canyon,
he got out to walk to a gas station.
A woman with three small children stopped to pick 
him up.
He said he thought she was crazy.
He could kill all of them!
What was she doing?
But he was so very thankful for her kindness.
He has thought of it many times since.


One of the missionaries shared an experience
from when he was about 10 or so.
He spoke about his dad, and how he had just gotten
a really cool new running shirt.
It was a very nice material and they both really 
liked it.
They went on a bike ride together that day.
The missionary crashed his bike and badly banged up
his head.
He remembered his dad taking off his new shirt and
ripping it up to wrap his head and stop the 
bleeding.


One man simply said that the nicest thing that anyone
has ever done for him was that is wife saved his life.
That was all he could say.
You should have seen his sweet wife.
I was sitting right beside these two....they reached 
across laps and held hands.


One brother, had asked to be skipped at first,
so Bro. W came back to him.
He told about the time when he was 14,
he was at a baseball game,standing against a tree. 
Overhead was a big bees nest,
they swarmed him and he was badly stung.
He said at that time a girl came up to him
and gave him a hug.
He had never had that in his life.
He felt such compassion from her....he 
feels that was how he first learned to have 
compassion for others.

..............
The stories went on.
All heart felt.
Many life changing....
yet they were all simple acts of kindness from another person,
however
 the effects had significant impact on the one receiving.

It reinforced one of my very favorite quotes:

"There is not a person you can't love, once you 
hear their story".

How true this is.
The way our lives are shaped and molded, and our views and beliefs
become our own is so amazing....
Intertwined and tangled with our daily experiences
and contact with others.
I feel a deeper admiration and respect for the brothers and sisters
in that little class.... 
I wish I could hear more.....from the whole ward....
my neighbors....the mailman....
You know what I mean?

I wonder if reading those snippets gave you the same sense 
it gave me in that room.....
I wish you could have been there.
............................

The nicest thing anyone did for me......there are many 
(as everyone said)
but the one that came to mind very first was on my birthday when
I was around 11 or so.
I had had a lousy day at school.....
kind of felt forgotten and insignificant.
I was down in my basement room after school....
possibly crying,
when my mom came and told me I had a visitor.
What?
Who?
For me?
Come on up and see.

My primary, or beehive teacher stood in our foyer holding 
a small round pink cake, with my name
printed in frosting on it.
Mindy
(that was what I went by then)
I could not believe my eyes.
She had remembered ME.  
You made this for me??
You took time out of your busy day to come see me?
She did.
That little cake changed my day.
It left a mark on my life and memory.
I have never tasted a cake more delicious.
The sweet feeling and confidence boost was precious to me.
 I have wondered....
did my teacher do this for each lucky member of her class?
Or was she on an errand from Heavenly Father to rescue a little 
insecure girl for that day?

...................
The best part is......who are you rescuing, 
and doing the 
Nicest Thing EVER for,
and aren't even aware of it every single day of your life?

That is our potential.

I would LOVE to hear your nicest thing.
Please tell me.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well.. read this post yesterday and have spent the last 24 hours thinking of all the wonderful things people have done for me in my life. Just like your post... so so so many. Really. SO many life changing moments of service to me from others. I almost feel guilty for having to pick one but here it goes. Someone took me in as a teenager and made me feel like I was worth a whole lot more than I thought I was. She saw in me WAY more than I did. I dont remember her ever telling me that but her actions spoke volumes. She opened her home, money, family, and time to me. I am 100% sure I would not have the life I have today if she did not take me in.

Melissa said...

Thank you for sharing. I LOVE that.

Cami said...

Melissa! That was such an uplifting blog post, thanks for sharing that. Loved hearing the different responses. When we first moved into our Washington ward and had nothing, someone ding-dong-ditched a brand new/still in the box Ikea table with a gift receipt attached. I think that was one is pretty high up there on our list. Thanks for the opportunity to think with a Christ-like perspective. I love the way you write!

Shanae said...

When I was 11 Taya and I were on a Rec softball team together. I had been cold at a game so she let me borrow her new fleece jacket she had just gotten from old navy. It also had a few bucks in it of hers for concessions of course. I went to the bathroom and accidentally left it in there. When I remembered and went back for it, it was gone. I had l had lost her jacket, and her money. I was so upset the rest of the night that I didn't write up my paper required for applying for student council due the next morning. I was just going to forget about it. Well taya stayed up that night and wrote it for me, then gave it to me in the morning with a hug. And her paper was so good that I made student council! :)

Melissa said...

Shanae! Your Nicest thing anyone ever did for you, really IS the nicest!! Talk about Christ-like, as Cami mentioned in her comment. Thinking back at myself at the teenager stage, as Taya would have been, I am sad to admit that would not have been my reaction. I am so impressed and SCHOOLED by her example. I appreciate you sharing. As a mother, sometimes I get so wrapped up in trying to make sure my kids "learn the lesson", that I think I forget that Christ-like charity and love is really the best possible lesson of all. Love you!

HB said...

Well - my throat is all tight. Great post. The nicest thing ever?? I can think of about a zillion, but I have to say how grateful I am that my parents stayed with our foreign exchange student and did several projects around the house for us while we were gone for a week recently. These are things that would have either NEVER happened or would take me a collective 5 years to get done on my own. That question is a good conversation question - it would be fun to collect more stories.

THANK YOU for reminding me about Dad and his hankies. I totally remember ironing those as well - or laying in them with all the other ironing while talking on the phone in the pantry. He STILL carries those things around with him - great memory.

Love you,
HB

Melissa said...

HB!! Finally you are back. Yes, laying on the ironing in the "phone booth".....cool set up, and a little bizarre also. Mom and Dad are the best!! I look forward to your re-cap post : )