The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Sunday, March 6, 2011

ATLAS SHRUGGED.....

I am always up for an excellent book recommendation.
Always keeping an eye out for my next 
reading conquest.
Tina read, and became obsessed w/ 
Atlas Shrugged a few months back.
She raved over it.
I had heard about this book before, and seen 
that one of my sisters was reading it at one time.
It was time to get my own copy.
It is a hefty 1069 pages....
exceptionally small print to boot...
I finished it yesterday.
 I will say I enjoyed the book very much.
I was involved with the strong characters,
and intrigued by the political ideas and Ayn Rand's point of view
on human nature, both positive and 
negative aspects.
I thought it was very interesting that she wrote it in 1957,
yet it mimics the running of the world today.
The welfare system, 
taxes,
the fake "for the good of the people" mentality of government.
Maybe this sounds very boring to you...
it sure did to me.
However, intertwined w/ Ms. Rands life philosophy,
which is that,
 "the concept of man is as a heroic being, his own happiness
as the moral purpose of his life,
with productive achievement as his noblest activity,
and reason his only absolute",  
the book revolves around relationships....
There is just enough spice....
enough tears of joy and accomplishment.....
enough...if not too much frustration.
The book did not have the ending I would have imagined,
that was the only let down for me.
which is huge for any great book.....it sort of
sputtered to an abrupt halt for me.
Sorry Tina,
just keeping it real.
I loved the vocabulary used in the novel, I kept track of my favorites, 
hoping to utilize them competently in my own communication.
(full list at the end of post)
I was amazing that the title came from one paragraph in the book.
The term, "Atlas Shrugged" was mentioned only once...
- excerpt pg. 422 - 
"if you saw Atlas, the giant who holds the world on his shoulders, if you saw that he stood, blood running down his chest, his knees buckling, his arms trembling but still trying to hold the world aloft with the last of his strength, and the greater his effort the heavier the world bore down on his shoulders - what would you tell him to do?"
The movie comes out April 15th....there is still time 
for you to read it and join us for the showing.
WE CANNOT WAIT!!
join us!
(Kevin is going to start reading my copy tonight,
or I would loan you mine.)

After you read the book...
you will know the answer to the question,
"Who is John Galt?"
You will have a strong desire to listen to Halley's Fifth Concerto...
You will hope to find the Gulch....
and
You will have a deepened respect for Human Ability...


Vocabulary Word List -  

spu·ri·ous  (spyr-s)
adj.
1. Lacking authenticity or validity in essence or origin; not genuine; false.

in·cred·u·lous  (n-krj-ls)
adj.
1. Skeptical; disbelieving: incredulous of stories about flying saucers.
2. Expressive of disbelief: an incredulous stare.

indifference [ɪnˈdɪfrəns -fərəns]
n
1. the fact or state of being indifferent; lack of care or concern
2. lack of quality; mediocrity
3. lack of importance; insignificance

de·ri·sion  (d-rzhn)
n.
1. a. Contemptuous or jeering laughter; ridicule.
b. A state of being derided: The proposal was held in derision by members of the board.
2. An object of ridicule; a laughingstock.

rec·ti·tude  (rkt-td, -tyd)
n.
1. Moral uprightness; righteousness.
2. The quality or condition of being correct in judgment.
3. The quality of being straight.

e·go·ist  (g-st, g-)
n.
1. One devoted to one's own interests and advancement; an egocentric person.
2. An egotist.

al·tru·ism  (ltr-zm)
n.
1. Unselfish concern for the welfare of others; selflessness.
2. Zoology Instinctive behavior that is detrimental to the individual but favors the survival or spread of that individual's genes, as by benefiting its relatives.


ac·qui·es·cence  (kw-sns)
n.
1. Passive assent or agreement without protest.
2. The state of being acquiescent.

in·tran·si·gent also in·tran·si·geant  (n-trns-jnt, -z-)
adj.
Refusing to moderate a position, especially an extreme position; uncompromising.


pla·cate  (plkt, plkt)
tr.v. pla·cat·edpla·cat·ingpla·cates
To allay the anger of, especially by making concessions; appease. See Synonyms at pacify.


n.im·mo·late  (m-lt)
tr.v. im·mo·lat·edim·mo·lat·ingim·mo·lates
1. To kill as a sacrifice.
2. To kill (oneself) by fire.
3. To destroy.
1. One devoted to one's own interests and advancement; an egocentric person.
2. An egotist.


I never like ending a book....
I miss my companion for a few 
days after.

$

2 comments:

HB said...

I don't know if I can read a book that is that long. You make it sound interesting and it seems like one of those books it would be cool to say I've read...plus I am curious about this John Galt fellow...:) I love that you put your favorite words on here. There are a few listed that I have looked up recently - I loved that. I still don't find much opportunity to use some of them though...HB

Anonymous said...

I love this post! So glad you read "THE" book. You did a great job explaining it here. I can't believe you looked up those words! CAN"T WAIT for the movie!!