The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Sunday, March 27, 2011

New Owner.....

This afternoon Herbie walked off into the distance with her 
new owner.
Oh, happy day for everyone. 

 Earlier today I saw my neighbor's daughter out side doing yard 
work.  I went over to talk with her about 
all the stuff going on with Herbie, 
and see how her dad was taking the fact that Herbie was not 
going to be here very much longer.
She said they have been doing everything they can to convince
her mom to let him have Herbie.
She will not budge.
The whole family is frustrated with her hard fast stand 
and are very upset over it all.
They have all tried to figure out someone that could keep 
Herbie that they know, some family member that could 
take on another dog,
so that PopPop, could still maintain his companionship.
I knew right away that I could never drive off with Herbie
to the "Animal Care Center" and be ok leaving her there.
I said to his daughter,
If Charlie would just say that Herbie was his dog.
If he would take over ownership and take care of her 
medical fees, collar renewal, etc.
I will still keep an eye out for good deals on food,
(but under no obligation).
Herbie can still stay, as a favor for a friend, in our backyard
and sleep in the playroom....
under the condition that I never hear the words,
"YOUR DOG just bit someone". 
Because we no longer own a dog.
She said she absolutely knew he would accept those conditions.
That is just what we did.
Charlie and I shook on it.
We were both really happy and relieved. 
Life is back to normal around here,
we can stop avoiding contact with one another.
I got my wish, he got his.

4 comments:

HB said...

I love you. I am happy for Charlie and for Herbie. I am crying. HB

HB said...

We were at Amy's house today for dinner and I told everyone about your generous actions with Herbie and Charlie...WHOA...Mom was cautious (of course) Amy was gleeful when I gave her the "7 days 'til Herbie is outta here" scenario and outraged (strong, but dramatic word, which is how Amy reacts often) on your behalf when I told her the final outcome. We of course re-lived MANY animal stories including, but not limited to, Lardo the "Cat came back", Mona the "unfortunate misunderstanding", Hermit Crab "Snap, crackle, Pop" incident AND Katie "the Lip Nipper". Honestly, I cannot really believe how many animals we had growing up...There was a bunch.

Melissa said...

Wow! Sounds awesome. I miss all the good stuff. That really must have been some good reminiscing. That is one thing to say about animals involved in your life...they definitely add color and drama. The way I love a pet the best is the looking back on. The memories.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it. sounds like you are much softer than you appear and that you still have a dog! :)