The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Empowering.....

"Something that is empowering makes you more confident and makes
 you feel that you are in control of your life."
I am one week into my new Gleason Park 
"Sculpt Your ASSets" class.
2 sessions.
5:30am - Tuesday and Friday.
So far there are 12 of us.
Talk about loving life.
I don't know if it is as good for my attendees as it is for me.....
(hope so), but I am really enjoying it.
I do really enjoy my class at the club,
but it is different,  more pressure, numbers count, 
loud music, glaring lights, very obnoxious microphone, etc.
Don't get me wrong...I am thrilled to be teaching there,
and hope to add more classes in the future,
but as a comparison, our little out door body sculpt 
class is my preference hands down.
It is quite,
calm, and peaceful.
No music, just bird songs and our quiet voices.
It is just us.
It's mostly dark, except for the lights lit for us.
After the warm up lap around the track,
we meet in the middle of the pond on the big round dock.
The time goes by quickly, 
again, not sure if it is just me or the same for everyone.
We are joking around, 
laughing, whining, groaning, exerting,
encouraging each other to push a little further.
Stay up longer.
Making fun of Shelly's super human powers,
and my terrible counting
(that's what they think.....it is all for their good).
Attempting to avoid the little piles of seedy 
bird pooh our friends left for us the night before.
Enjoying each others company, and the start of a brand new day
It feels good being there....improving together.
It is a thrill to see my ladies 
(and Cy)
limping around at church a day or two later....
still working off the burn we created.
Knowing their muscles are coming back stronger and better
after only a few sessions.
That is satisfying.
....................................
Something else that is a super thrill is being able to generate 
my own paycheck.
This is my first check with my name on it.
 Man that was fun to pick up from the little check drawer at Our Club.
Every other Friday.
I know $60 is not a lot.....but it feels fantastic to have earned it.
Over the past 14 years as I have been at home with our kids,
for the most part I have not worked....(brought in any income).
Yes, I did have my little getting out of the house 
excuses and hobbies which were very enjoyable
at the time.....Partylite, SouthernLiving, and Layers,
at different intervals,
but truthfully they were not really money makers at all. 
(But heck yeah, I did acquire many fun goodies and lots of great clothing) 
These ventures required no skill on my part, 
and were possibly more irritating to my friends and family 
than I may have thought to guess.
(Please don't be discouraged if you are into home parties...
I did have a blast on many levels and wouldn't 
trade my time with them....
I am just noticing a difference in the way I feel now.)
(a time and a season for all things....no way I could have done my 
certification and pursued to do anything w/ it w/ all my children home)
The difference is that I worked for, and attained the marketable
skill I have now.
I have confidence in my abilities.
 I have seen positive changes in my body,
 and know how to help bring those changes out in others.
That is an empowering feeling.
I am $60 away from paying off the $409.56 cents I put into my certification.
I thought it might take me half the year to re-coup,
in reality... 
I will be less than three months into my fitness "career".
Again, I am not clueless to the fact that I am not bringing in 
significant amounts of cash,
but I am bringing it in....and it feels wonderful.

3 comments:

Shelly Hyde said...

Melissa. I love our outdoor class to. I look forward to it. Love being together with everyone. And working my ASSets too. You are my fitness mentor... really. Might sound funny but it is true. Thanks for doing this for us ladies (and CY)

Anonymous said...

So proud of you for doing what you love and finding a way to make $$ at it! AND so thankful to you for helping us get fit at the crack of dawn! I love love love it. It feels good to be outside, with friends and doing something good for my body! THANK YOU!!!

HB said...

I am glad it is going so good. I'm sure it will only grow, but I like the number 12 - it is big enough to be a class, but still intimate enough to be personal. It sounds like fun. HB