The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Herbie's days are numbered....7 to be exact.

This is a post I have been anticipating 
writing for years.
Well, writing it I have only been considering it for a year....
only been blogging that long....not even that...
whatever.

We have had our dog Herbie for 7 years.
I have felt trapped in this relationship
for the past several years.
At first Herbie was our family dog.
We (I) picked her up from a neighbor who couldn't keep 
her as a puppy.....(makes it sound so easy, "couldn't keep her").
I thought our kids deserved the right to have a cute little doggie.
I thought it would be good to help them learn responsibility.
We had just started schooling at home,
I also thought we needed to have a farm at our home.
I went through a stage of accepting every free
animal that crossed our path.

Well, times have changed.
Our kids learn responsibility by washing dishes, 
and folding their own clothes.
I care more about the smell of our personal living quarters.
I value my sleep at night.
I only like paying for human food.
I don't enjoy urine, (or any other dog made product) on our carpet.
.....and so on.

We have been down to just Herbie
for a while now.
We (I) have kept Herbie, the kids and Kevin really don't 
care either way.
Why would they?
Do they clean up the frequent "accidents"?
(not that they haven't "tried", but it is just not w/ the same vigor 
and driving force as when mom cleans it up, you know what I mean? 
I have the strong
impression that the accident is really still there when anyone 
else does the job)
Do they remind themselves to get Herbie water on a daily basis?
Do they force themselves to walk Herbie at least once a week?
no.

Let me see if I can get to the point,
We (I) have kept Herbie for our neighbor for years.
YEARS!
Our neighbors are an older couple and the wife will 
not let the husband have a dog.
So he has our dog....only we have to still give room, board, food,
and medical fees.
Sounds like a pretty sweet deal right?

Herbie has been a huge nuisance.
FOR YEARS!
I can't put into words the countless escapes
and bring backs...
The bites!
Yes, the bites.
The annoying barking, (before she went def after 
her umpteenth ear infection) 
whining, digging, poohing.

OK.
I know you get it.

Guilt has forced me to keep Herbie
for our neighbor because he loves her so much.
They hook up every day, they have their routine.
I say guilt because I fantasize of ways Herbie can die all the time.
I want to end this w/out me having to make 
any decision or be a murderer 
in my neighbors eyes.
I have been trying to use "The Secret" and just use my mind power
to bring about Herbies demis w/out
actually having to take part in it
for as long as I can remember.
That way is not working.

Well, until now.....Herbie is her own worst enemy.
Always has been.
 Three days ago she bit our neighbor's friend on the 
back of her leg.  
Two puncture wounds, bleeding, urgent care, 
the whole nine yards.
Our neighbor came banging on our door, and said,
"Your dog bit Sally"
(name has been changed)
awwww, hmmmm, really?
ok, now what?

Now I have these people at my door the next morning.
That's now what.
 Sally did not call them,
Urgent care did.
It's the law.
Herbie is on house quarantine for 10 days,
starting the day of the bite, so she has 7 days left....
TO LIVE HERE.
Finally I was able to say with all confidence that  we are done.
That is enough.
Final bite.
YES.
No more!

I finally had the realization that I am not 
responsible for my neighbors happiness and contentment 
in this life.
That would be HIS WIFES JOB.
She says no to a dog.
Why have I felt it is my job to facilitate one?

I don't know, but it is over.
168 hours to go.
the clock is ticking...
tick -tock..
tick...
     tock .......

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow, not a fun deal...geez! I know you're not into free pets but our 2 boy gerbils will not be going to NM so if you'd like them, their bedding (bought way too much), and cages (1 cage, since we may keep the other) you're welcome to them. :) No worries though, the pet store will be their home otherwise.

HB said...

There is nothing worse as a dog owner to find out your dog bit someone. It sounds like you have given Herbie the best you had to give her and your neighbor has had several years to enjoy Herbie's company. I do wish to say, however, that I hope Herbie will have someone who cares about her with her when she goes.
HB

Melissa said...

No thank you Melissa. We will pass on the gerbs. Been there, done that.

HB, I only said Herbie will not be living HERE. There is a slight chance there is a friend of a person down the street them may adopt her....I will try and hook up with them later today. No worries, I know I sound cold....

HB said...

Que a sigh of relief. It was hard to read such a gleeful account of Herbie's last days on earth. :) HB