The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Friday, January 27, 2012

Noooo......is this really happening?

I was dying to get on and write about my experience 
yesterday
right after it happened.
It was fresh, and raw, and still felt like such a big deal.
Now today....eh.
What a difference 24hrs makes.
It is not the devastating blow I had imagined it to be.
I will still tell you about it though because you 
might find it interesting, and surprising.
This feels like gossipping....
about myself.

I taught my usual body sculpt class yesterday @ 8:30am.
I say usual, in that I teach it each week. 
Every week I vary it and change it up quite a bit
to keep it fresh, and to keep those muscles guessing.
We did a hard sequence of plank work,
(picture being up in push up position)
but I talked about ways to modify, and make it easier as needed.
We did lots of other stuff also.  

After class, which I thought went pretty well,
I went to volunteer at the desk for three hours like I always do
on Thursdays, only today, I was subbing for the 10:30 pilates class.

Around 10:25 I headed into the locker room to change into a 
different pair of yoga pants....freshen up a bit.
I was in the handicap stall on the end.
No sooner had I gotten in and changed, and was about to 
hurry off to pilates when I heard this,

Were you in Melissa's class this morning?
Yes.......NOT a fan.
I know, what was the deal with all of that plank work?
That was so ridiculous.
That killed my back.
I had to do something totally different.
She doesn't even count.
I do not like....
I can't stand....
I sure do miss Maria!
....on.....and.....on......

I was so frozen to my spot.
I knew I was going to be late.
I knew I needed to get out of that bathroom stall.
But I was so startled and taken aback.... and they just kept 
going on about their dislike of everything I do.

I finally could wait no longer.
I went out and over to them,
two middle aged women, maybe late 50ies.

I said, Hi, I couldn't help but over hearing,
I am so sorry you didn't get what you had hoped for from
my class this morning.
I hope you won't give up on it entirely, 
since I change it up each week.
I appreciate your feed back.
I will tell you what, 
how about I take it right back to basics next week?
Nothing fancy, or tricky, just a good hard workout.

What, oh no, you don't need to change it on our account.
We just need more modifications.....
.........
.......
......

Well, I hope to see you again.
Take care now.

I was three minutes late, instead of early like I planned to be.

That really messed with my mind all day.
Especially during that next class.
I was so paranoid....
who is hating this right now?
oh my gosh,
am I holding this too long,
I can't tell if that person is enjoying the class........

After I finished the class I went back to the front desk.
I was really wanting to tell someone about what I overheard.
Soooo.....
I told Jack and Pat in the office.
(there was no mention of who said it, doesn't matter)

That was probably not my best move.
I had just told Pat that hey, I never told you,
but my mom's name is Patricia also!
Then Jack was like,
hey, that is my daughters name.
We had this grand talk about how wonderful that name is,
went over all the nick-names that go along with it.
To include all of the middle names that our own Patricia's have.
We all like the name, 
and agree that it is totally "old school"....
pretty cool.

I didn't cry....but.
When I went back out to the desk they were like,
hey, why don't you cut out early today?
....get out of here.
You have had a long day already.
I said no, 
of course not....I have already put two hours down for the day.
They look at each other....
pst.
Like we care.
Go home and relax.
Jack says, I can finally read my magazine in peace.
When I read in the back office,
people say I'm not working....
when I'm up here at the front desk they can see I am working.
You are doing me a favor.

Off I went.
I did cry my eyes out then.
Cried and cried.
I have never been caught in a situation like that before.
I have no illusions that everyone likes me, or my classes....
or my hair.
But to overhear them going on and on was a rough ride.

The funny thing is the striking contrast between this post and 
my last.
Just like life.
UPS and downs.
That is what makes it so exciting.

People only see what they are looking for.
They don't know the consideration and time you put into 
what you do.
They aren't aware that you are already trying to work around
Judy's bum shoulder, Irene's painful knees, the metal in Holly's back,
Tina's week core, and V's spine fracture,
the fact that the class doesn't want jumping,
 but they want their heart rate up,
they want variety, but they don't like change.

You can't please everyone ever.
But you can please someone, sometimes.

Better make sure you enjoy the process enough yourself to 
make it worth it.

I do.

It is.

I just got my tax paper yesterday.
I have made $1060 teaching classes at Our Club.
Maybe that should be embarrassing,
but I was totally thrilled to see it.
$20 bucks at a time....53 classes.
Kev and I were like.....huh, that is pretty good.
The side bennies aren't too shabby either. 

Just a few random photos with the cousins,
 doctored up for fun.
 Bye-bye bunnies!
We will miss you little guy!


3 comments:

HB said...

What the H??? I am SO SORRY you had to experience that. I am a bit surprised you didn't cry when you talked to those ladies, but I am SO IMPRESSED that you had the guts to go express gratitude for their feedback to their faces. You did the right thing in a kind and humble way...that is tough to do.

I like your final analysis of the experience as well, but I know that was a hard thing to go through. Did it make your stomach ache? That would have ripped the tiny self esteem I have right out my belly button!

Always remember...you is good, you is important, you is special...:) Love you. HB

Anonymous said...

HB LOVE the Help reference! Melissa.... You are amazing. My body can testify of that today! I can barely walk you worked me so hard yesterday! WOO HOO. Everyone needs something or someone to complain about. Im sorry those ladies chose you and your class. I think YOU ROCK:)

Melissa said...

It made my heart race and go crazy....when I was home and thinking about it, I could see and feel it going bizerk. Took me many minutes to get my heart to settle down. Very intense how our bodies react......I love how my whole system was on my side, graciously waiting until I was home to grapple with the experience.

Thanks HB....good to hear. I will remember. You to!