The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Friday, December 2, 2011

Fuel for thought....

Look at this young fellow.
Do you ever feel like this when you run?
You might think he is trying to power through his first marathon,
but no,
He is nearing the end of his 5K.
Way to go Ethman!
Regardless of the distance you are running,
this is your race.
Your challenge.
Your mind plays a huge role in the outcome, and in your performance
throughout your training and on race day.
I found some tips and strategies in Running World Magazine I
wanted to share.

"To ensure your mind is strong enough to perform at your best,
it's important to start your mental training long before the race itself.
The first step is to create specific racing goals.
Make sure your goals are realistic, but at the same time, never
hesitate to shoot a bit high.
It's amazing what adrenaline, 
support and desire can do on race day.
Keep this goal in mind throughout your training.
In the days and hour before the big race, visualize yourself
moving through each mile of the race with strength.
Imagine feeling calm and confident
keeping in mind the milestones you've already achieved in your training.
When the moment arrives, tap into your strong, 
competitive center, 
(your competition is you!)
I personally like to focus on passing one individual ahead of me,
 and then setting my sights on the next racer.
When the going gets tough,
remember all the hard work that led to this point.
Stay true to your goal and confident in your ability.
Enjoy the journey and let the spectators boost you along
to the finish."
....and trust me they will at Disney!!!
Loads and Loads of spectators....
You will be loving them!!

Wow! Get a load of that heavy duty HEEL STRIKING!
Mental Race-Ready Formula
  •  Set specific goals before the race.
  • Keep these goals in mind while training
  • Perform visualization exercises in the week leading up to your event.
  • On race day, stay patient in the first half of the race.
  • Keep calm and confident in the later stages.
  • Reel in runners ahead of you one by one.
  • Allow cheers to boost you through the finish.
  • CELEBRATE your success!!!.....each milestone....
  • Welcome and enjoy those hard earned tears (I added this one)

I loved this too much not to post it twice.
I tried applying it as my profile pic....but OF COURSE I CAN'T.

5 comments:

laura said...

i am going to use your tips tomorrow while i'm running a 1/2 all alone! i'll need all the help i can get lol

Melissa said...

Laura, you will do fantastic!! One year I ran the Disney 1/2 alone. It was second only to the one I ran with my sister. I felt nervous at the beginning, and asked some stranger if they minded me hanging with them until we got started. Then I was off and very carefree. I made sure to have loads of great music. I had a blast having little random chitchats with other runners. It was fun encouraging others, and going as fast, or slow as I wanted. Turned out super fun!! Enjoy it!

Which run are you doing?

laura said...

ok now i am feeling better! :) i figured i'd find the pace runner and try to run with them for a little bit. i just don't want to be last! lol

HB said...

Ethan looks wrecked - good for him to finish a 5k. I am not even sure I could walk a 3k...ya gotta start somewhere.

That last photo is way cool - you should make some of those of the nieces for them to color when you come out.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the tips. Every ounce of motivation is going to be needed!