The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

TWENTY.

The time came this morning to own that 20 miler that has
been looming over us for the past several months
during our marathon training.
I had a fitful sleep, but woke up excited to take on the day.
I got my cold weather running gear on,
and was getting ready to eat a few baby oranges for
breakie when Amy called.
She had just finished a steaming hot bowl of hearty
oatmeal, a peanut butter spoon, some toast,
and I think there was more.
It got me thinking I should maybe load up also.
I gave a holler into my dad,
who was still in my parents room chitchatting.
"Hey dad, how about coming in to make me a bowl of your
famous oatmeal?"

- silence -

I heard him ask my mom,
Did she just ask me to make her oatmeal?
Yes, she'd like you to make some oatmeal.
He comes into the kitchen.
I will make you some oatmeal but I have never made oatmeal
once my entire life.
what??
Not true.
Your oatmeal is excellent....you used to make it all the time
for us kids.
It was again perfect...a breakfast of champions!!
M, my dad and I listened to "The Best of Queen" so I could get
pumped up for the run.

I arrived at Amy's.
We had her husband Lance capture a few high energy
pre-run photos.
We were indeed ready for the time of our lives.
Off we go.
Mile after freezing mile.
We did take time to get in some "planking".

As well as a few sky shots.
Plenty of stretching.

Photos of our magnificent surroundings.

Snowy over passes.
We did pretty dang good up to our half way point, which was
my brother Jason's home...this is his dog Bo.
We took a pit stop, refreshed our water supply and did a little
stretching.  We felt sure we could do without our gloves and jacket.
They were just weighing us down, extra baggage.

We took off from Jason's,
 and then began our gradual decent into
freezing drudgery.

We were now running familiar territory to both Amy and I.
She and I have run the last 8 miles together several times on other runs.

After our halfway point we had changed directions...
and in so doing the wind and cold changed on us as well.
It turned from a cold day,
to a bitter COLD one.
Our mouth and hands we frozen.
They were two of the "funny" things we had to laugh about.
Each time we hooked up and tried talking it was 
quite hilarious.
When we attempted using our fingers to manipulate the lid on the 
water bottle, or re-zip a zipper.
HA!
Oh....what fun.

Time passed.
It seemed like we ran from morning until evening time. 

This whole was a big mile stone we were looking to pass.
On our last run Amy told me she is always happy when she passes this,
because she knows she isn't far from home.
About 3 miles.....ouch, ouch, ouch.
Here is another we were watching for.
Amy says that she likes to think that this mailbox was put in by
a family whose son left on his mission.
The flames are the mothers hope for his speedy return.
huh...that's cool. 
Whatever passes the time...right?
Here is another spot.
I won't say what happened here, but it was one of Amy's
darkest running hours....the longest 8 miles of her life.
The last two miles for us today were quite torturous.
Not surprising.
Amy rose to the occasion.
She absolutely pulled me along and kept us running.
I had not anticipated being the weak one at the end.
Not at all.
But that was indeed the case.
I was really proud of that girl....not to mention grateful to her.
Not sure what was so ultra funny here...
but for sure we were more than happy to be done.
We were both frozen to the bone.

I took off pretty quickly for my parents house.
I phoned my mom as I started the 10 minute drive.
Mom, I am on my way.
So you are alive?
Yes, just.
Will you ask McCauley to prepare a few baby oranges for me?
I will hop in the tub when I am home.

When I walked (hobbled) into the kitchen,
my dear mother was stirring my hot cocoa.
She said, here are your peeled orange slices.
I heated you up some spaghetti,
and ran your bath, there are clean towels and
I refreshed the bathroom with a little perfume.
?

Home Sweet Home.
I was so happy.

Thanks Mom.
You are so thoughtful.
Dad, thank you for your wonderful oatmeal.
I wish Amy could have been here for the same treatment.
Great job today.

2 comments:

HB said...

WOW - good job girls. You actually make it sound like fun and the pictures are fantastic. I have to say it is nice to be in the "know" for some of the most special pit stops/landmarks. I bet it is great to get that 20 miler behind you; once you do 20, you know you can do 6 more - no problem.

Anonymous said...

I have no idea why I am crying after reading this but I am.