The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Giving Thanks......

I can't believe Thanksgiving has been and gone, 
THANK GOODNESS for leftovers!
This pie was not pretty enough to take to the Feast....actually I just made it yesterday...
(the day after the feast) but I will get to that.
I just posted a zillion pictures....I don't want to write a book today....just acknowledge the wonderful day we had on Thursday and GIVE THANKS.

One of our favorite family traditions on Thanksgiving morn 
is to get up and run the Turkey Trot  in Suntree.
I have been the only one running up until this year....but happily this go round 
we got the whole gang involved, except McCauley, who stayed with friends during the run.
In years past the boys have always handed out water and Gatorade w/ the scouts.
This race was started about 4 years ago in honor of Dr. Brent Gooch.  
He suffered from Juvenile Diabetes, the procedes from the race go towards help in finding a cure.
There is a 5K and 10K.
Believe it or not, last year our family was on a cruise during this time.....
we were bummed to miss it, and break tradition....but we managed : ) !



The best thing about running this year is that we ran not only with each other....
but also with our dear FRIENDS!!!
Whoohooo!

Ethan made sure he would start strong by stuffing his face w/ a powdered doughnut.
There is Kate, one of my Ragnar girls.
V was pumped....I loved seeing her all nervous and excited for her first run.
Look at these guys go!!
It makes me emotional to see them and cheer them on.
Tina who just finished her battle w/ thyroid ran the whole way!!!
Vanessa has just recently got the running bug and in finally getting it!
She is GETTING IT!!!
I love it.
Nate was rocking the house (V's husband) until he pulled or poped something....but he kept at it and held his own.
Kev kicked hiny. 

But this is the ultimate finish shot!
One day I want a shot like that of myself.  All stretched out and just going for it!
You can see Ethan's leg on the other side, there has been much controversy over who won between the two.  It looks like an even tie to me.
On a side note, Ryker was actually very sick.  He woke up with a major headache.
When he got to the race he threw up.
Poor guy...I could not bring myself to post any of the before pictures I got of him....he looked awful.
He was determined to be a part of this race. 
Good job buddy.
As the day went on, he took a long nap and felt much better.

OK....let the second race begin.
THE COOKING OF THE TURKEY!!!
oh my heck.
This turned into panic time.
We got home around 10:00am, turkey was still in the sink.
I had a smaller turkey, but then got afraid it would not be enough so I went back and got a 23 pounder.
For some reason I volunteered to bring the turkey to the festivities at the Quigley's home.
They took pity on us and invited us over for the feast.
Tina called to see how the turkey was going.....um, it is not going yet.  
What?
What time are you supposed to eat?  3:00.
She said they were eating at 3:00 also, and hers had been in since 6:00am.
Let the Sweat- fest begin.
I solicited some helpers.
Lawson was in charge of chopping the onions and celery for the stuffing, 
(hence the goggles because his eyes were burning).
Why don't I ever think of stuff like that?


I think Ethan really enjoyed breaking the bread.  I know for a fact that he was imagining him self doing the sacrament.  Which I think is wonderful.


The amazing news is that the turkey got done pretty dang quick...I have a convection oven, I am sure this shortened the time considerably.
Now...
I am not a turkey expert.  I have done two my entire life....my mom always did her
stuffing like this....  
she would stuff the bird and then pack the rest around it.
Tina was shocked to hear this and tried to make me dig all the stuffing out of the pan and bake it separately.  By the time I finally got it in the oven there was no way I was touching it.
When we got to V's house, she and her sisters were also not loving the dressing in the turkey pan,
I felt like I was out of my mind and making up the details I had remembered.
When we dug the stuffing out of the bird, I thought it looked normal.
I think I saw V have a little gag reflex going on....but I'm not positive, 
but they were insistent on putting what stuffing was in the Turkey into a pan to bake and dry out,
and the rest "we" 
threw in the garbage!
So, needless to say there was a scant supply of dressing....but I loved it....rebaked and all.

For your information.......when my mother called later that night and I was telling her of my dressing faux-pa....she said, no my dear...you did not have a mix up...
there are TWO stratagems for doing dressing....
WET   and    DRY
Your grandmothers have always done wet.
So I have always done wet.
So you to were doing wet dressing....if people are used to dry.....then it may be a huge turn off for them to attempt the wet.
HA!
I knew it!
DISCLAIMER: I really do think I will switch to dry from here on out...the possibility of bacteria could be a concern w/ the stuffing in the turkey.
I just felt I needed add that in support of the nay sayers....they are probably right.
Yes, the turkey looks remarkably dark....but it was decent.
Kev did the honor of carving.
Here is the crew.  I think we just got done toasting to Hayward's mustache in the photo below.
Loving the bubbly...the candles, the mini tables, the people.

Hayword (another invited guest from our ward) insisted on us singing 
"Because I have been Given Much"
so glad he did.


Because we have.


PS - Tina, there was a huge puddle in the oven from the turkey.
I guess my juices did flow over....I just didn't know it until the next day when the oven started smoking like mad as I was baking my pie!
McCauley kept saying the pie smelled like turkey.....sure didn't stop me from eating it for breakfast, lunch and snack.

4 comments:

HB said...

Yep - that was a short description...HA - I LOVE WET STUFFING, I HATE DRY STUFFING. We haven't died of Bird stuffing after all these years of eating it out of the carcass...now, saying it that way sure sounds gross, but I love Mom's stuffing, especially the parts that get crispy. Sounds like you had a great time. It is weird that it is all sunny and warm there - so different.
HB

HB said...

P.S. GOGGLES FOR ONIONS!!! DUH!!! What a brilliant guy! Tell Lawson "Thanks" for the tip. HB

vanessa said...

Your turkey rocked, with our without wet dressing! Thanks for joining us and sharing that beautiful bird.

Mamapierce said...

What a fabulous tradition!!!