The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Friday, November 12, 2010

The Good (pre-run) Cookie

We are down to 7 days until the big Run!!

Last night the girls got together to decorate our "Sole Sisters" tees.  Pretty cute...I still need to iron my name on, so I will post a few pics later.  (Dumb not to get any photos last night.)

It seems like what to eat before a run comes up over and over again.
It is hard to know what to eat, and when.  
We have all experienced extreme fatigue from eating nothing...not the best plan.  
Most of us have accidentally chosen the wrong thing to eat before a long run and had to pay the piper, maybe even been forced to cut it short, due to angry bowel issues
(praying all the way home that we would indeed make it in time).

Soooooooo.....drum roll please...........

I found this new recipe recently at 
 * the little red house blog.
(Very fun place to visit - check out her Ragnar Run video.)

Today I finally gave it a try.
Here's the scoop.....taste report and tips at the bottom.
I have heard of similar recipes w/ peanut butter and oats...
but this one sounded sooooooo jam packed full of 
health bennies that it is the one that finally won me over to try.
(ok, maybe not the Nestles so much...but everything else)


As you will see you will be doing a lot of pureeing and mixing in your blender.
My vita mix was sweet grinding up the wheat, flax seed, and chick peas.

I have been curious about Agave Nectar for a really long time, 
I finally got some for this recipe.

Have you tried it for other things???

The Good (pre-run) Cookie 

(I took the liberty of changing the name by adding pre-run)
3/4c  peanut butter
1/4c agave nectar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 can chickpeas, pureed in food processor
1 1/4 c rolled oats
1/2 c whole wheat flour
1/4c ground flax seed
1/8c wheat germ
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2oz good quality dark chocolate, finely chopped

In a seperate bowl combine oats, flour, flax, wheat germ, baking powder and salt.

Combine pb, agave, and egg in mixer, and beat until well combined--about a minute.
Add vanilla.
Stir in chickpea puree until well mixed.
Slowly stir in dry mixture until well combined. Mixture will be thick.

Shape into a rectangle on a lined cookie sheet, about 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle chocolate over the top.

Bake at 350° in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, until cookie is set. 

Spread out chocolate, allow to cool for about 10 minutes, and cut into bars. Let them cool completely before you eat them. Store in refrigerator to keep the chocolate nice and crisp.


* Important tips I need to share - 
the chick peas should be rinsed and drained!!!!
I didn't find this out until after when I went to get the link for the recipe.  I think that would be a major improvement to the taste....although it is pretty darn good as it is...
I just don't think all that bean juice is healthy...is it??

I would not recommend you tasting the batter!!  I repeat...don't lick the spatula...NOT GOOD.
This fact made me very leary about tasting the finished product.
No need to have worried.  It is great!
I will make a new batch for the run to share!
(without the chick pea juice!)
By the way, I did not line my cookie sheet...just sprayed w/ a little Pam.

Before you go make your pre-run cookies.....
....why not get inspired and pumped!!!???
I have a new favorite running song....
this will be my theme song for the run next weekend.

I wanted to add the actual video, and make it look way cooler....but I couldn't figure out how...
I decided seeing the lyrics on YouTube and just listening may be even better.


If Today Was Your Last Day


   be sure and go full screen   : )  


3 comments:

C and K said...

Thanks for the recipe! I will try it!! Now I just need a cure for my heel. Can't wait to do the run either!

Shelly Hyde said...

CANNOT believe it is in one week. So crazy. Cant wait to try the cookies. You gonna share with Van 2??? come on! Any more tips on what to eat and what not to eat?

Great song Meliss.

HB said...

I loved the song - I am looking forward to hearing about the race...Whew hew - almost here. HB