The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Thursday, October 6, 2011

For Tina.


This is a snippet off the running blog
I read about this guy, and I thought his first marathon experience was 
worth sharing.
Each time T and I have to up our mileage, or think about  an 
upcoming mega run, i.e. 17 miles in the very near future
she stresses and wonders if she can do it.
Always saying that it is not too late to switch down to the half.
I know she is mostly kidding, 
and there is no way we are not running this guy.
I know we will be ready,
 as well as all the other girls running the half or 
whole right a long with us on TEAM NECK n' NECK.
We need to stay inspired and motivated....
check this fella out.


richardBefore 3 (2)
SUAR: What did running your first marathon symbolize to you?
Richard: I trained hard, following any marathon training program I could find on the internet and on social networking sites like Facebook. I was determined that on my 1 year anniversary of starting my weight loss journey I would complete my first full marathon. It so happened to be the Denver Rock n Roll Marathon in 2010. My partner and I were on a pace to complete it around 3:30 and at mile #20 I went down with excruciating pain in my left knee. It took me over an hour and a half to complete the final 6.2 miles, but with indescribable pain I finished it in 4:27.
Everyone told me that you would cry when you reached your goal of finishing your first marathon, however, I was all out of tears from the pain of the last 6.2 miles. Despite the IT Band issue, it was an amazing sense of accomplishment, not only had I lost over 100 pounds but I completed something that only a small percentage of people in the world can say they’ve accomplished. It sparked something in me to embrace a lifestyle of fitness and health, but also to continue to set and reach goals that I never dreamed I would be able to accomplish. It also allowed me to share with others my successes and help them also reach their goals. It also allows me the opportunity to train with my partner.
3 weeks later I registered for and completed the Rock n Roll San Antonio Marathon on my  35th birthday and was able to cut off 19 minutes off my time. I have not stopped trying to reach new PR’s at every event, all while having the time of my life!

When we finish....
How do you think you will answer that question??

2 comments:

HB said...

This reminds me of the Iron Man stories. Trav and I love stumbling on the coverage of the Iron Man on TV. EVERYONE has a story and an endurance event means something different to each participant. One thing I love is the spirit of the event. Each event has one and for that day you are ALL united in a common as well as a personal goal. I bet you don't just cry at the end either...it is too powerful and there are too many opportunities to recognize greatness along the way - enjoy the journey...even those 17 mile runs.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I need to keep these motivating people in my mind around mile 20:) This guy and that old man we saw the movie about. I need to store up about 50 more by January to actually make it through the marathon. I am not going to lie. I am so so so scared.