The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Think back 10 years ago.....

I really enjoyed this book....
but more than that, 
I think I kind of needed it to.
I gobbled up the 423 pages in no time at all.
Kev has been out of town for 17 days, so I have had 
a little extra reading time.
When he is away, M always sleeps on his side of the bed,
she reads to me, says her prayers, then gets tucked in.
Next I get the boys settled,
and then I go straight to bed myself.
No staying up for t.v. time of any kind.
I hop in bed and read until I start falling asleep....
usually I get in at least a solid half hour.

When I excitedly told my sculpting girls about my
new book they all rolled their eyes and said 
that it sounded extremely lame.
Huh?
Are you people crazy?
That is what I was thinking about them.

The basic story line of the book is that Alice is a 39 year old
mother of three that has a fluke accident, 
gets a concussion and amnesia that takes away her memory 
of the past TEN years.
She comes to,
 believing that she is 29,
pregnant, and madly in love with her wonderful husband Nick.


The sad reality is that she is in fact 39,
in the middle of a nasty divorce and has become a 
mega control freak BEEEEatch.

It was eye opening.
It was sad and happy.
It was a lucky break for this lady.
An opportunity to see her life from a different perspective,
albeit her own.

I could relate on many levels,
one being Kev and I's communication.
I picked up on numerous communication errors that K and I
have participated in over the years.
We have gotten better on some,
still could improve on many others. 

This story deals with Alice's relationships in general,
she remembers what they were, 
and is surprised to see what they had become over the years.

Anyway.....I recommend it completely.
I think there is plenty to take away and glean from.

It got me wondering about myself.

Where was I at age 29, 
what was I like?
Did I like the person I was.....
am I pleased with who I have become?

We would have been in Florida one year.
Lawson would be almost a year old.
McCauley would not have been born or even thought of.
We were done having children.
We were happy with three boys.
I wore lots of covies....or overalls.....I have seen the pictures.
I guess being comfortable was my top priority.

I just went and found my journal from this time....

I was so wonderful!!!

I used to write all the time with little updates.

A few Quotes:
Jan. 14 2001 - I think I better read my scriptures before
the kids get up.  I'm on my 14th day straight of not missing my 
reading them.  I know that it helps me be a better mother and wife.
I have noticed already more patience, my reactions are more loving and calm.

Jan. 27, 2001 - Two days ago we had to drop Kev off at the airport.
He had to go to Columbia for a week or so....it is the "or so" that I don't like.
Gosh, it is so lonely with him being gone.
I hate not being able to count on him being home at night.
It is amazing how the kids and my days practically revolve around his coming
home in the evenings.  
We miss him a ton......I miss him.

I read of us getting our very first used piano (the piano we still have)
....I am so proud and 
in love with it.

Kev and I went sky diving while Peggy Russell baby sat our kids overnight.

I found out that one of my kids actually did have a "pooh fest" of their own.
It was Lawson....!!!
I always thought my kids were "above that type of thing".
It didn't even seem like I freaked out....phew.
I said....."what a stinker"!

I recorded working every day on our new house.
Put pictures of the new shower curtain I bought, 
the fancy table cloth, my new strawberry pink Landsend modest swimsuit.

I am almost finished reading the filled journal.
I read many snippets out loud to the kids.
There are some important things I can learn from my 29 year old self.
I am thankful for the sweet reminders.

I dare you to read the book and try this stunt yourself.
See what you have become....
and what you would be missing if you lost 10 years of your memory.

4 comments:

HB said...

I read a book kind of like that as well. Can't remember what it is called...but she got in a wreck and woke up in a similar situation, but it was only 3 years she lost - in those 3 years she had lost a bunch of weight, gotten married and promoted at work, also a control freak...It would be so weird. Isn't it fun to read thru old journals? Another good reason to write - look at all the memories you still have because of it. Totally cool. HB

Mamapierce said...

"Pooh fest"?

Melissa said...

Jill, certainly you are familiar with the scenario.....you are super happy your little guy or girl are finally figuring out how to entertain them selves in their crib. You let them stay extra long in their room because they are being so quite, cute, and happy. They are playing and enjoying their own company in their room, you can't help but be proud. Finally when you do go in you are accosted by the stench in their room. The toddler is happy to have found a way to get their diaper off and has finger painted poop all over any and everything they can get their charming little hands on. "Pooh Fest".

Delightful!!!

I had blocked out that my own children had partaken in this adventure. Journals tell all!

Christi said...

I gotta read it now, sounds good!