The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Possibly my favorite trip memory.....

I always enjoy our trips home to Utah.
I love the time we get to spend with family, both mine and Kevin's.
Each trip we are able to come home with at least a few special memories we want to keep.
This year this experience is one of my favorites.
No, really I am just going to say it is my favorite.
 One I will enjoy looking back on.

This is my dad.
Cortney Glen Dana

This is the first of two big snow storms that graced us during our stay.
The kids and I were visiting my parents in American Fork, Kev had not made it into town yet. 
I had thought about going up to my brother Jason's in Kaysville, but w/ the oncoming 
storm we decided just to stay put.
During the night we got around 8 " or so.
It was beautiful.
Around 5:00am I woke up to the sound of the snow plows.....
it reminded me that I forgot to move my in-laws car into the driveway, 
so it was out getting buried by the plows.
This made me a little nervous, so I decided to just stay up and read.
I was really loving my book so this was just fine by me.
Next thing I know my dad is gently taping on my door, he had also heard the plows, 
he wanted to get the car keys so he could go and dig out the car and move it.

Oh....super!  Thanks, what a relief.  
Glad I'm a girl so I can stay right here in this cozy bed and read. 
Good luck dad, see ya soon.

He left and I planned on not leaving.
NO GO.
With the first scrap of the shovel I was outa there.
Something told me to get my hiney out there on the double.
(I am pretty sure that something is called my conscience). 
I scrounged up a sweet snow outfit and joined my dad on this 
most beautiful morning.
We worked together and shoveled the driveway and walks.
It was so peaceful and still.
I had such a sweet feeling as we puttered around and took 
in our surroundings together.
I have never loved and appreciated my father more than I did in 
that one hour block of time.
I watched him going about his daily routine as he would 
on any other snowy day.
He scrounged around his packed shed digging out the blade 
for the four wheeler.
We drug it over to the downstairs garage....also jam packed full of things of our families life.
Stuff my dad has collected. 
We got the heavy blade on together and then he proceeded to plow away. 
I loved looking around while he was zooming here and there with the plow.
My memories were sweet.
 (There is no question where I get my sweet nose from now is there?!
Look at my snow angel....haven't made one in years!  Look....my parents are trying to sell their house....?!)
One thing my dad has always done is post random pictures of Christ in unexpected places.
There were two that I located in the garage....I don't remember seeing one in the shed,
but I wouldn't be surprised.
These are his areas.  His domain. 
It is amazing that just those little unframed pictures could set the tone,
and effect thoughts and actions.

I haven't always agreed with all of my dads decisions.
I have not always shown the proper respect.
I have questioned his wisdom on certain issues.
But I have never questioned his faith.
He is not perfect....not required...
I can see that my dad did his very best in raising his family.
I am so thankful for that.
I am thrilled with the grandfather that he is to our children.
Sometimes I feel that he is trying to make up time he feels he may have not taken advantage
 of with my siblings and I.
I welcome it.  I drink it up.  
My kids have asked why Grandpa Dana is always pulling them over to the kitchen table with his 
scriptures and numerous lessons and quizes on the constitution.
I say, you are lucky to have them.
He loves you and he wants to share his beliefs and the things he holds dear to his heart with you.
You will never have to guess how Grandpa Dana feels about the gospel, 
or about our founding fathers, or about our freedoms and how they came to be.
Nor will you be with out the latest Glenn Beck book....
Never change dad.

I hope the lessons continue for years to come.....

1 comment:

HB said...

Ah - sweet photos and sweet ode to Dad. He really does take care of business doesn't he? I always thought that four wheeler was pretty fun to snow plow with. Dad would always take care of several neighbors drives as well with that thing every storm. He is a GREAT man. Looks like you got the long skinny Dana nose and I got the short wide version...wear it proud right? HB