The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Shabby Hammers.....

Yesterday I had an appointment to get our very old piano tuned.
The kids have been complaining about it for a while now,
even one of the missionaries complained about it 
the other day when they were here and he volunteered to play the hymn.
To be honest I don't hear it.
I can't tell it is out of tune.
To me it sounds imperfect, but still very beautiful.
Well, what pushed me to spend the money right now was that 
another key stopped working.
G - 
as in the one in the middle.
The other two were way up high where they are "hardly" ever played.
Our piano teacher here in Satellite Beach,
Holly Jedlika, recommended the technician she uses. 
I was able to get her here very quickly.
I was surprised when I met her.
She is a very slender, beautiful, older lady.
Didn't really look tough enough to man handle pianos if you asked me.
I could see right away that she was disappointed in our piano.
She had a very tough time discovering even how to 
take it apart it was so old.
She was unfamiliar with this Kimball model.
She was highly put out at its bad shape.
She was astonished at the worn down hammers and pads.
She was very vocal in her displeasure.
Wondering why I wanted to put any money at all into this old thing.
Did I have someone with me when we went to purchase it?
no.
Well you should have.
K.
We will next time.
There are way better used pianos out there.
Got it.
It felt like she was going to throw in the towel before she even began.
I was very hopeful she would not choose that option.
I defended the piano....
I let her know we were not in a position to purchase a new,
or even another used one at this time.
I have four children that play on this piano.
Would she please just see what she could do?
I understand she is not a miracle worker,
but possibly she could just get the key that is not working to work,
and try and tune it the best that could be done.
I was planning on paying $150.
Would she just mind staying and doing anything she could do for that amount?
She reluctantly agreed.
I loved seeing inside this old girl.
Quite frankly, for some unknown reason, I love this piano.
I feel very sentimental towards it.
It is part of our family.
This is the piano I hand picked on Space Coast Craigs list.
I knew nothing of pianos, and it is apparently obvious.
I recognized Kimball as a well know piano company,
and went with my gut.
We picked it up in Palm Bay from a gay couple.....
I am thinking around 6 - 7 years ago.
I remember when Kevin and I went in to look at it.
It was not very light in the room, I couldn't see as well as I would have liked.
But, from what I could tell, and hear, it seemed like a keeper.
Come to find out after loading, 
and then unloading at our home, it had a huge crack in one of the legs,
which promptly severed w/ the pressure of moving and being rolled, etc.
That was not a good sign.
With the first, and I am ashamed to say, only tuning we have had
on it since the day we brought it home, the technician jerry rigged and 
tried to mend and cover the bum leg.
As long as we don't move it much,
(no problem there), it is just fine.
The cover over the keys has become week over the years, 
it has a tenancy to fall down on fingers if you POUND...
so again we pass on that.
I am watchful that little visiting children for the most 
part stay clear of pounding as well.
The keys are yellow (another thing I couldn't see in the dark).
But, I still maintain my loyalty to this piano.
It is the piano that our children are learning a precious skill on.
They are developing a talent that will last a life time for them.
I love to hear them practice and improve.
I love to decorate the mantel....we don't have a fire place,
so I kind of think of the top of the piano....(what in the world is that called?)
as a little hearth.
I decorate it with the seasons and change it often.
I love the dark wood.
The upright style.
Look inside.
I think this was a grande beauty in her day.
Coming back to Becky.....our faithful technician.
I was in and out of the room, puttering here and there.
Working in the office, I could hear her letting out 
exasperated sighs and puffs of disgust.
Seriously....it went on for some time.
After again saying that it took her an entire hour
 just to fix the G key, her saying she doubted she could do any good
at all for the horribly out of tune piano.
I asked it she would please give it a try,
anything she could do would be an improvement.
She dug in.
She tuned, and tuned, and tuned.
She was amazing.
No more sighs.
She was bringing this old girl back to life.
I was so impressed and thrilled with Becky's efforts and determination.
She was here well over three hours.
She was not happy with her accomplishments....
she said it should sound better after a tuning.
But I was thrilled.
The kids had gotten home.
They could hear the difference.
She said, now you know that you don't just tune a piano and 
then you are done forever.
You have to keep up and maintain it,
or it will go back.
You will need to re-tune w/in 6 months.
Then every year after that.
Well.....I won't make any promises....but I'll try.
I recommend:  
Becky Beerensson
Registered Piano Technician
321-452-7866
She is amazing!

Lastly, one of the things I was doing while she was here was -
Making the MOST DELICIOUS BANANA BREAD ON EARTH.
Tina gave me this recipe...raving...she got it from Colleen...
is that right?
Well, I am here to tell you....YUMMY!!
I will never stray to another recipe again.


Best Banana Bread on EARTH

1 c. sugar
½ c. oil
2 eggs
2 med. Mashed bananas
½ c. sour cream
1 t. vanilla
1 ½ c. flour
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
(I added chocolate chips (da) +
Several shakes of wheat germ
to justify the several pieces of bread I planned on eating)
Grease pans. 
Bake @ 350 for 50 min.
It did not take that long for me….maybe 40ish.
I used one large and one small pan.

Ohhhhhhhh soooooo goooooood!!
Thanks Tina and Colleen!
  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your piano commitment! And very glad you like the banana bread. It is the BEST recipe for sure. Sometimes I sprinkle brown sugar on top before baking and that SEALS the deal.

HB said...

She is a beautiful piano. I often lament my decision to give our old family piano to Amy when we moved. I hope to one day replace it with a newer, lighter version. The neat thing about the oldies is the sense of history they bring with them. Our family piano was purchased by our great grandma after saving her own money for $18. She must have loved it very much. I am glad your sweet girl has a home - you know how important vitamins are for you - now you know how important a tuning is for her. I think it is awesome that your kids care so much about it as well. I hope she still has some good years left in her...HB