The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Perfect Practice Makes Perfect.....

Tonight was very rewarding and exciting.
The kids and I were all pretty nervous with anticipation, 
a desire for them to all do their best under pressure.
Several months ago their piano teacher had encouraged 
the boys to sign up for Federation -
This is an opportunity to compete with yourself and attempt
to play two qualifying piano pieces to your very best ability.
I love that you are not competing against someone else....
just striving to reach your personal best.
Each participant plays their selections in the room alone w/ the judges.
(we can see and hear through the door)
They are rated on:
Memory
Accuracy
Rhythm
Technique
Musicianship
The event is really on Saturday.....however, I made a huge mess up 
with overbooking this weekend...
Ethan also has his Eagle project this Saturday.
....he kind of needs to be present.
We were lucky to be able to have a make-up appointment.
McCauley just started piano this year so she was not 
quite ready for Federation.
The boys made me very proud.
It was so much fun to watch and be excited each time
they came out of the room with their score paper 
including the judges comments and ratings.
It was like on American Idol....
they try to act tough...like they got low scores...
when really THEY'RE GOING TO HOLLY WOOD!!!
3 X Superior!
Whoohoo!
 Look at these cool cats.
They say they are never doing that again....
but guess what...
as their mother I know differently.
I know they felt very good 
working hard for something and getting the reward they deserved.
It feels good to put effort into something.
To have a goal to strive towards....
Besides, when we showed up tonight there 
was another young man (around 15 years old I think)
also there to perform.
This was his 9th time!!!
He said he was shooting for another gold cup.
a what?
Yeah, after every 3rd Superior you earn, you are in the running for a 
GOLD CUP.
.....they are hooked.
I know them well.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I did Federation for 10 years...oh the memories! Still have my cups, no clue what to do with them. Glad you're keeping up with this stuff!

HB said...

I thought I already posted a comment to this...weird. I am super impressed with the boys and know Mc will give them a run for the "Superiors". I'm curious to hear them all play and wish I had asked at Christmas...Maybe this summer we can have a play off...Hmmmm. Maybe I should challenge the others on Sunday - it would be good motivation to practice. I'll let you know how that goes. HB

Melissa said...

Melissa that is so cool! I will have to tell the boys. Can't believe you have the "cups"...wow!