The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Last of the Derbys......

Over the weekend we wrapped up our last family 
PineWood Derby.
We (Kev and the boys) have made 9 cars.
They have participated in 9 events -
(3 boys x 3 Derbys each, some over lapping of course)
over the past 7 years.
We have cheered them on at each one. 
We felt the thrill when they won a race,
and 
the bitter disappointment when they won no races.
Man, I will tell you, these events can be brutal...
there is a lot of pressure to get a win under your belt so
that your son does not feel like a complete failure,
and so you don't look like a total looser parent (father).
We have had a race (first year) where the wheels go skittering off after the first
race...thankfully that was never repeated.
None of our boys have ever "placed"....
although many of the boys good buddies have.
It is an exciting event....albeit a long one....
I don't want to sugar coat it for those of you that have this
event in your future, but it is truly
a memorable time in a young boys life.
Something that is very much looked forward to and anticipated.
I remember growing up always hearing about pinewood derbys.....
but we never went to one as a family that I recall.
I always thought they were cars the boys actually rode in.
I had no clue they were these little cars on small tracks.
(Seth, Lawson, and Aidan)
 The boys have always done their own designs and painting,
Lawson's is the bird.
Ryker gave him a helping hand this year.
I have to say this is probably my favorite car they have come up with.
I really think it has personality.
 Here are a few others from different boys.
 Some of the cars you can see the dads were the driving force
behind them....but not so much in the photos I took.
These all look boy directed....which is how it should be,
and great to see.
Here are the highlights.
From the building, to the celebrating the success of fellow cub scouts.
So long Derby Days.....

3 comments:

HB said...

I remember when Jason and Dad did the derby's...I'll have to ask Jason, but it seems there was some scandal about illegal weights being put on a car...just sayin. I don't think I knew families were invited to those gigs. I think I have to agree with you on the bird mobile...pretty cool. It looks like a good time.

mytalkinghead said...

WHOA WHOA WHOA..... I NEVER KNEW IT WAS SMALL CARS! I ALWAYS THOUGHT THEY DROVE IN THEM!! Well, learn something new every day, right?!

It sounds like a good time for sure! I'm with you in that the kids should be in charge w/a little assistance from the parents(Dad)... just like a science project or whatever.
3 each... Yeeeeeeaaaooooooooozzzaaaa. That's a lot of little cars! Do they keep them when they are done? It would be a fun collection, I think....

Melissa said...

well, well, well, I am up at 4:00am in the middle of a coughing attack (sipping my hot tea and honey...the only thing that helps me stop) and look who I find has visited. Nice.....what in the heck are you doing up at 3:00am? hopefully something way funner (that is for sure, you are reading my killer blog finally...yea!)
Yes they keep their cars. They keep them and talk about them, compare them, remember the year the "title" should have been theirs, etc. They keep them on display on their dressers, and bed shelves.