The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Growing up...UP....and AWAY.....

Today was a lot of fun, and a lot of work.
Shelly, Vanessa, and I had a combined garage sale at our place.
It was the perfect day for it.
We had crowds of people....a pretty steady flow.
I had posted it on Craigs list, but I think what really brought em in by
the car load was that John, Shelly's husband, placed several 
signs in strategic spots for us.
I sold a whopping $503 -
I know this sounds outrageously high and amazing, 
but only because I was able to sell a $700 motorcycle 
for $300.
But you know what....I will take it.
Thrilled with the outcome.  
Had a blast all day with with friends
laughing about how much people try and rip you off left and right.
Wishing we would have taken that dang rip off offer later
when we ended up actually selling it for even less,
or
 even worse, were left stuck still holding that blasted
piece of unwanted garbage at the end....what we wouldn't give to
get another shot at accepting that low ball offer.
Whatever....
I love garage sales. 
Love going to them, like having them.
Definitely a lot of work.
Mostly the clean up afterwords.
We had most of our kids in the house roaming around and
what looks to me as possibly "having the time of their lives".
Can't tell you the places I found Dipping sticks powder,
and fruity pebbles cereal.
It felt good to give our, not quite so jam packed house, a good once over.
I am ready to crawl in bed....but no, not yet.
Kev headed out of town for a few days this morning,
and Ethan is off at his first Stake Dance tonight.
It is so weird and crazy to believe.
He turned 14 on the 7th of this month.
When I reminded him about the dance he said there was no way he was going.
That I couldn't force him to go no matter what.
Oh, you know I love a good challenge.
It was not w/out some effort that he did end up going....
I bet he has a great time....can't wait to hear about it.
My mom has a knack for picking just the right, classy item for each of her
gift recipients.
This card, as well as the one HB sent to Eth have been used, and used often.
Can't believe the longevity of these things.

7 comments:

vanessaq said...

"Boo-ya"for my $101. Did anything else sell after I left. Also, so sorry about the huge mess. I should've stayed and helped clean!

Shelly Hyde said...

It was a great day. i thought we raked it in with that old gals goods. Wowzers... Must have been all that gasex!

Melissa said...

Um, Shell, I believe it is Gas-X.....

HB said...

Glad it turned out good for you. It wouldn't be a garage sale if you didn't have some super negotiators around...I recall a certain person writing about her own great skills around a $2 item she got for 89 cents or something...? Remember? I don't recall the exact details, but I admire the skill, truly. All I am saying here is 'turn about is fair play' (is that right?).

I remember those dances...I remember my favorite dress that I tended to wear to them (white with purple flowers). Did Ethan have to wear a suit or do they dress down these days? Can't wait to hear how it went.

Melissa said...

HB, they still dress up. Shirt and tie. They have a few that are casual dress throughout the year. It went well, he danced 6 dances, all slow. He was encouraged to ask a few girls to dance that were looking lonely, he and a friend asked two girls w/ glasses, and a leader prodded him to ask a few others. He got asked a couple of times as well. He told us about some of the songs they played, and who knew all the moves for the line dances etc. They had a chocolate fountain and quite a few good refreshments. I think he came away maybe anticipating the next one just a little. I think it was a success.

mytalkinghead said...

No Doubt Hug, Min you gotta know that the negotiations are out in full force!!! YOU MELIS ARE THE MASTER OF THEM ALL!!!
Unless of course you are named Golden and Keri, then you go to garage sales and pay the sticker price... I take it back. We did get our t.v trays for a dollar each!!! lolol...

EEEEWWWWWEEEEEE.... Ethan at the dances now! WOW THE TIME FLYS! I always remember mom encouraging us to go, even though hug told me I had no rhythm.... hehe... No really though, all it takes is actually getting there, and then watch out! Here comes the fun!

Melissa said...

Ker, I can't help but picture your face and expressions as I read your comments....I read in the hint of sarcasm, I see between the lines, and I am back home again. Love it. miss you girl.