The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Human Factor:

Last night we watched INVICTUS
 for family movie night.
It was a very excellent show....there were a few swears but overall
it was family worthy.
I loved the team spirit.
The One Team, One Nation mentality that developed.

This is a political drama adapted from author John Carlin's bookThe Human Factor: Nelson Mandela and the Game That Changed the World. Set just after the fall of apartheid and during Mandela's first term in office, The Human Factor explores how the political prisoner-turned-president used the 1995 Rugby World Cup -- which was hosted by South Africa -- as a means of bringing blacks and whites together after decades of violence and mistrust.

I love to read, watch, and learn about
the amazing "Human Factor".
The show makes me want to pursue the book to learn more
about this amazing human.
The poem called Invictus that helped Nelson Mandela through his
27 years in prison is hard to grapple with, because I cannot
relate to the hardship, but I do relate to, and strongly
believe that I am the master of my fate, the captain of my soul.

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
 


William Ernest Henley 
.............................
Another poem I have been reading a lot
lately, even before seeing the movie is called 

The Winds of Fate
....it is much less dramatic, but has the same powerful
message...
I can't read it with out getting just a little choked up.

One ship drives east and another drives west
With the selfsame winds that blow.
‘Tis the set of the sails
And not the gales
Which tell us the way to go.
Like the winds of the sea are the ways of fate,
As we voyage along through life:
‘Tis the set of the soul
That decides the goal
And not the calm or the strife.

By: James Dalton Morrison

I want to memorize it with the kids.
I think it is a good one to have in your back pocket for 
when you really need it.
When life is pressing down upon you.
When we have tough, or seemingly minor decisions to make each day.
Life is a wild ride.....lots of ups and downs.
Lots of surprises, good and not so good,
but they always end up working for our good.
.....sooooooo in the end they are all good.
hmmm.
What an adventure...
....glad I chose not to miss it.


1 comment:

HB said...

We recently saw that movie as well. It is constantly amazing to me how inspiring people are and at the same time how human their lives seem to be - the man was an incredible leader and yet he had troubles at home just like we all do. It seemed to me that he had a very clear understanding of the basics - in my opinion, the most important principles to lead by and to live by.

I LOVE your poem. I think I may try to memorize it as well.

Love you,
HB