The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Shmappy.....

I am not a lover of Valentines Day.
This was not always the case....
I remember growing up, my mom always made a big 
sha-bang out of every holiday.
I loved it.
What kid wouldn't?
I really only remember one extra special Valentines Day.
My dad was out of town which was not unusual,
my mom loved going the extra mile
when he was away.
It was like a free for all party time when a holiday  came around.
I might be exaggerating...but that is how I remember it.
This V-day it was evening time, dark out,
all of us kids were just milling around doing our thang.
Next thing you know, the door bell rings....
oh my!
who could that be??
We opened the door to a porch full of pink hearts and packages for all.
A mini Christmas in February.
I knew my package immediately.
A grown up pink jacket, with a matching pink purse.
Ohmygoodness.
I felt like the hottest most grown up girl in town.
I wore those two pink items out.
I may have been 12 or 13 years old.
HB - do you remember this V-day?
What did you get?
 I am all grown up now.
A realist.
I know now that V-day is just a ploy on us consumers
to spend money and feel forced into purchasing gaudy items
with hearts on them 
just to tell our loved ones we love them on this day.
Come on....we are not idiots.
I remember when Kev and I were first married, and
I was still falling for that crap of 
"feeling like I had a right to something extra special" 
on this day of all days.
We lived w/ K's parents at the time,
I was whining to his mom....
She shut me down in a big way fast.
She said, If he wanted to get you something he would,
it has nothing to do with the day.
oh.
I dropped the romanticizing right then and there.
 These days I am much more practical.
No expectations =
no disappointment.
I have to say that I am thankful for the public school system 
and their cute art projects.
I loved getting Lawson's Valentine for me.
Soooooo goooood.
 McCauley's little creation.
She did wonder why I didn't include a stuffed animal or a love note in 
her lunch bag today like her friends got.
I said I thought you got embarrassed when I put 
love notes in your lunch....
no mom...I love it...the boys hate it.
got it.
Walking out of school today made my head spin.
Loads of parents were there.
Kids were sporting helium balloons, toys,  and flowers.
Cupcakes, treats, pink, red, glitter....galore.
I hear everyone saying,
"Happy Valentines Day" left and right.
what in the heck....?
It is really such a national holiday?
I love my man.
He is my love every day.
I love my kids...
every day.
....but dang it all,I loved it growing up....why wouldn't they
be thrilled w/ extra fun...?
even on a "man--made" holiday.
Maybe I am just lazy sometimes...
no doubt there.
Well, I will have next year.....
McCauley is trying to inspire me again to write her love notes to 
put in her lunch....
she just wrote me a yellow sticky that says,
momyoowraemianjol....(with two hearts)
translation- mom, you are my angel.

Post script - I left, but just now remember last V-day....K had 
surprised me w/ a package.
It was delivered in the mail.
It was in a very pretty lavender round container.
I opened it up....it was a pajama gram.
It was a set of long sleeved, long pants, soft, puffy pink pajamas.
I remember being totally mystified.....
I blew it again in my reaction to a gift from my husband.
Something I am unfortunately famous for in our family.
oh....why do I do that?


oh...wait...I just got another crack at it!
Kev hasn't given up on me!!!




Who on Earth wouldn't love Valentines Day???!!!
Have you ever seen prettier roses?



1 comment:

HB said...

Of COURSE I remember that Valentine's Day - I was going to blog about it myself. I for some reason think we always got something fantastic...There is def. one time that stands out only I don't remember the details of what I got, only the spectacle of it all. I DO, however, remember that FAB pink jacket of yours...Sweet stuff Sis. How fun is it to get those sweet gifts from your kids...so jealous in that regard. I LOVE YOU. HB