The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Manatees on Memorial Day.......

We just returned home from our adventure 
to Crystal River.
This was another Groupon Christmas gift purchase-
(I was loving these bad boys this past year wasn't I??)
This was for a half day Manatee Tour and Dive -
the price was right and I thought it sounded like fun.
I have been bringing it up to do since December,
finally we were able to squeeze it in.
Kev was never very thrilled with the  idea....
so I coupled it with my birthday as one of my gifts,
it was go time.

On Saturday I booked our hotel on Expedia,
for two nights at the Holiday Inn Express.
At the time of booking it asked for the number of 
adults and children,  
I put in 2 adults and 4 children, 
along with their ages.  
I always cringe a bit at this point of the reservation, 
because I am sure that it will boot us
out of the one room and force us to get two....
which I then do.
But no, it just made the reservation and showed 
2 adults no kids.
I did it over again......it did the same thing so I didn't worry about
it and just printed the receipt and moved on.
When we got to the hotel I went in to check us in.
The gentleman at the desk was super nice,
at the end of the check in process he said
so it is just 2 adults?
I was like, um, no, we have kids.....
oh, ok, it is no big deal, we just ask for fire code, etc.
He gave me a little shpill and at the end I said,
we have four children.
He said ok, is it ok if I send some cookies for them?
We usually only provide one welcome bag per room,
but I am going to hook you up with three, and throw
in a few extra cookies for the kids if that is ok with you.
Yes Please!!
Phew.  
I am always a little nervous checking in/out of hotels if 
we do not have two rooms.  
We are upfront about our kids,
but I remember a few incidents growing up with
my dad sneaking the SIX of us kids in w/ sleeping bags and 
pillows.  It seems like he made us go in by twos or
something.  I was scared half out of my mind 
we would get caught....
it kinda took a little of the fun out of the 
"vacation" because I was so nervous.
I thought our little trip was great. 
The tour itself was pretty decent.
The water was on the murky side, 
that was really the only downside, and that it took some time 
to actually find any manatees. 
It was jam packed when we went to the springs to swim
due to the holiday weekend,
but...
What did we expect??
This is the best shot I got w/ the manatees....
(sorry, it is pretty bad)
the kids got to pet them and follow them around a bit.
Some people look dang cute in a wet suit!!
 Other highlights included a lot of this.....
Eating out.
Movies in our room with popcorn and treats.....
The buffet breakfast and the pancake machine! 
those pancakes were so delish!!
and surprisingly enough this little purple set of stacking cups
were a big hit.
McCauley got them in her kids meal from Wendy's .
We had a major competition of cup stacking.
We all got pretty dang fast....I think 11 seconds was the record.
Are these good times or what?!!!
Jealous of our steller high class vacationing??
Last night Lawson decided he needed another blanket for 
his floor bed, understandable, then Ryker and Ethan
piped up wanting additional pillows...why not?
So we had Ryker call down to the front dest and order
them up.
We were all right there listening.
He calls up and asks for four more pillows and one more blanket.
Then there is silence and a kind of long pause.....
the Ryker says -
6
 OH my Gosh!!!
We are dead!
He says,do you want to talk to my mom?
 hello....?
Would you like to get a rollaway bed?
oh, no, no...we are good, just a few more pillows for fun.
Thank you!
Yikes...
You know what....
after reading over my post I told Tina I kind of didn't want to 
publish it.
I feel like I should be sporting a few less teeth,
and Kev should be traipsing around in wife beater tees.
Well, gosh dang it, 
if the shoe fits wear it.
I guess we are on the white trash side at times.
Many times.  That is ok.
I could have just said we swam w/ manatees 
this past weekend;  that seems pretty classy.
But if that is all I said then you miss the 
meat and potatoes of our fun little family.
The ridiculous details are where all the memories are hidden.
Yep, this is us.

3 comments:

Mamapierce said...

Looks like a fun trip! I so enjoy all the details that you share. :D

Anonymous said...

What are you talking about. . . "white trash"? It sounds like a dream family vacation. Who needs more than a pool, free breakfast and some downtime together away from all of the responsibilities of home. Sounds super fun Melissa and I'm so glad you were able to pull off the room heist. Very stressful I know!
Miss you!

HB said...

You ARE Dad!!! I totally remember sneaking into the hotel rooms. That is probably why I never attempt to pull off any kind of sneak...I think it looks like a lot of fun and I bet the kids will look back at 'sleeping on the hotel floor' as a good memory. Sounds like the hotel staff were rockin'...Love the pics. HB