The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Be Courageous and Un-Lazy......


I am behind in my posting.
I have several posts that I have started and never finished.
Thought I would pull one up and finish my thought 
before I forget it forever.

The kids have been pestering Kev and I for months to buy 
the PS3 game Call of Duty - Black Ops
I have said no repeatedly.
Over and over again.
It is rated M - for mature.
NO.
But mom, that is just for violence.
EXACTLY.
The language you can switch to a lower setting so there are
no swear words.
We will play it with no sound.......
etc. etc. etc.
I was sticking to my guns.....
until
Cousin Seth arrived.
He brought along with him a letter to Ethan
from my parents containing 
a congratulatory note for earning his Eagle,
and a $100.
I thought that was great...Ethan will  
be able to put half into paying off the remaining Eagle cost,
and he can use the rest for himself.
He of course had different ideas.
Now comes the onslaught of begging and pleading 
again for the game.
Ethan was going to pay for all of it, and then give me the 
extra like I had wanted for his Eagle Court of Honor.
Finally I was just like 
OK!!
....I guess its fine, but if you all start acting like freaks I 
am going to get rid of it so fast.........yeah, yeah.

I did not feel good about my decision.
At the store I felt uneasy.
Purchasing it I had second thoughts.
On the way out I had buyers remorse.
At home I was constantly making McCauley leave the room.
Finding something for her to do other than watch their game.
I was not happy with the game but just decided it was not that
big of a deal.
A day or two later Lawson had a friend over.
They immediately wanted to play that game.
The big boys were gone and finally it would be L's 
turn to give it a whirl.
I told them no.
They whined and moaned saying that his friend could 
play Halo, another war type game.
I said there was no way unless I got permission from his mom.
I called and spoke with her.
She said, well, in fact her boys were no longer
playing Halo, she had recently read an article
from conference that had changed her perspective on the games.
But she finished by saying,
Melissa, You know I trust your Judgement.
I have heard her words many times in my mind since then.
My answer was no.
It was not ok for her son to play that game.
Not on my watch.
So why was it ok for my own boys?
Could I seriously not stand up to the relentless peer pressure from
my own children?
Did I feel pressure because "all of the other kids get to play"?
Because other kids at church have it?
I wanted to get my hands on that article ASAP!

I cut and pasted my favorite parts,
you can click on it and get the whole talk.

by : Larry R. Lawrence


The Young Men and Young Women Mutual theme for 2010 was taken from the book of Joshua. It begins, “Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid” (Joshua 1:9). This phrase from the scriptures would be a good theme for parents as well. In these last days, what the world really needs is courageous parenting from mothers and fathers who are not afraid to speak up and take a stand.
Imagine for a moment that your daughter was sitting on the railroad tracks and you heard the train whistle blowing. Would you warn her to get off the tracks? Or would you hesitate, worried that she might think you were being overprotective? If she ignored your warning, would you quickly move her to a safe place? Of course you would! Your love for your daughter would override all other considerations. You would value her life more than her temporary goodwill.
Challenges and temptations are coming at our teenagers with the speed and power of a freight train. As we are reminded in the family proclamation, parents are responsible for the protection of their children.1 That means spiritually as well as physically.
Several years ago at general conference, Elder Joe J. Christensen reminded us that “parenting is not a popularity contest.” 2 In the same spirit, Elder Robert D. Hales has observed, “Sometimes we are afraid of our children—afraid to counsel with them for fear of offending them.” 3
Young people understand more than we realize because they too have the gift of the Holy Ghost. They are trying to recognize the Spirit when He speaks, and they are watching our example. From us they learn to pay attention to their promptings—that if they “don’t feel good about something,” it’s best not to pursue it.
Courageous parenting does not always involve saying no. Parents also need courage to say yes to the counsel of modern-day prophets. Our Church leaders have counseled us to establish righteous patterns in our homes. Consider five fundamental practices that have the power to fortify our youth: family prayer, family scripture study, family home evening, family dinner together, and regular one-on-one interviews with each child.
It takes courage to gather children from whatever they’re doing and kneel together as a family. It takes courage to turn off the television and the computer and to guide your family through the pages of the scriptures every day. It takes courage to turn down other invitations on Monday night so that you can reserve that evening for your family. It takes courage and willpower to avoid overscheduling so that your family can be home for dinner.
Try to imagine what the rising generation could become if these five righteous patterns were practiced consistently in every home. Our young people could be like Helaman’s army: invincible (see Alma 57:25--26).
Parenting teenagers in the latter days is a very humbling assignment. Satan and his followers are striving to bring this generation down; the Lord is counting on valiant parents to bring them up. Parents, “Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid” (Joshua 1:9). I know that God hears and will answer your prayers. I testify that the Lord supports and blesses courageous parents. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

I have modified that quote for my own needs:
"Be strong and of good courage; be not afraid and un-lazy"
Sometimes it is so tempting to just say alright already!
I give.
But no, that is not how I am going to roll for my family.
The game is already gone.
I had a talk with the boys the very next day.
I admitted to my mistake.
I made clear that we will not be having an M rated game in our home.
There will be no compromising.
If it is not alright for the entire family to play,
then we will choose another game to enjoy.
There was some brief weeping and whaling.
Some gnashing of teeth, a shout or two of  
"You are ruining my life"!!
and then it was over.
The waters calmed and the kids picked another game.
All is well.
My conscience as a parent is redeemed.
I took the loss on the game, it was a small price to pay for 
the valuable lesson I learned from the experience.
I appreciated the good council from my friend.
.............................
Just today during sharing time I taught the 
primary children about listening to and following
the promptings of the Holy Ghost.
I look back over that experience and can recognize time and
again the promptings that were given to me.
The foreboding feeling. 
The uneasiness I mentioned. 
I won't always get a second chance to fix a bad decision.
I am grateful I was able to make this one right.
I hope I will do better in the future.
............................
Here is our June group for the temple.
I am loving these monthly visits with my sistas!
We will resume in August when I am home from Utah.

8 comments:

HB said...

"M" for mature...half the time I don't know if I am mature myself and I am 37 years old. Whya grow up faster then you have to?? Sometimes it is hard to be the adult...I am proud of you. HB

Anonymous said...

Love this post. Lots of good info for all parents. I'm proud of you too. It is tough to be courageous and even more tough at times to be un lazy. I like that you added that. I know I let my kids watch waaaay to much tv because I am lazy. Yup, I said it. If they are watching tv I can do what I want, like sit around and read your blog:)

Mamapierce said...

Excellent post. It's hard to stand up to my kids when they want something. Great job, Melissa. You are a great mom. :)

laura said...

sometimes i find myself being "lazy" because it's easier in the short run but after reading this, i too, will be "courageous and unlazy!"

Anonymous said...

This post is exactly why I love you! Way to be Melissa!

Aubrey said...

I find myself making compromises like this all the time (but mostly with my husband). It's good info for more than just parent/child relations. Although, I have a feeling I'll be keeping this one close as my kids age because I have a really hard time telling them no.

C and K said...

Totally agree. Just had to say No to my son regarding a sleep over with his very best group of friends from school, even though he knows the "family policy." Of course he asked in front of the friends and parents, so I looked him in the eyes and firmly and clearly had to say "you know the rule. No." It was hard!! I hate the rules as much as they do! But thanks for sharing the article. Gives me courage to continue. You are amazing, and I love reading your blogs!

mytalkinghead said...

hey I left a comment on your blog after this one, just heads up.. I will get back to read this blog and then blog myself!!