The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Monday, June 20, 2011

Old School FHE......

We have my nephew Seth visiting for the entire 
month of June.
We are loving having him here.
The older boys and Seth spent the last week at 
camp LaNoche with Kevin.
We have stepped up going to the beach, and swimming, 
in addition to other 
numerous challenges and adventures I have tossed in as well.
Adventures of my own making.
Activities that build character and creativity -
(post soon to follow)
I have been happily surprised with Seth's willing attitude.
He has not complained to much about anything I have
thrown their way.

This morning I assigned Ethan and Seth 
Family Home Evening for the night.
They complained just a little, and then accepted the idea.
They kind of procrastinated until late afternoon but then
I saw them looking up their lesson on the LDS
web site, assigning parts to the other kids, etc.
Seth welcomed everyone and was the spokes person
for getting the ball rolling.
Their lesson was on Satan and Jesus,
a comparison of the two.
They had us read in Moses as well as in 3 Nephi 17 
They had an object lesson w/ a bowl of salt and sugar.
They had a game during, and then we 
played the rousing push game with each other afterwords.
(HB I am certain you recall this game)

I was really proud of the kids.
It was fun having them take charge and put some 
effort into doing a good job.
All of the kids were involved and had a part to play.
It was another reminder of why we are counseled to hold 
regular FHE.
So many times during the busy baseball season,
and soccer practices, it is easy to resort to 
"going to Lowes for Family Night".
It is a cop out,
and will certainly happen countless more times,
but it always feels so good when we make the 
effort, and take the time to learn about the 
gospel together, being taught by 
one another.
They don't think I can tell....
but I know they enjoyed doing it just as much 
as the rest of us enjoyed participating and watching.

4 comments:

HB said...

Remember how Mom commented on how Jason used to stand during Soccer games? Take a look at Seth in the photo...More and more I see Jason in Seth - I love it. I do wonder what the lesson involving Salt and Vinegar was all about...shouldn't it have been sugar and vinegar? What was the comparison?

HB said...

HA!!! Don't know what I was looking at when I said Salt and Vinegar...DUR!!! It says Salt and SUGAR. That makes total sense now...Kind of like a wolf in sheeps clothing, yes?

Melissa said...

Well, yes, that is a good one to Hug. They compared Jesus to the sugar which we all tasted and loved, Satan to the salt which we also had to taste and did not enjoy. They taught us about how Jesus teaches w/ love, heals the sick and comforts. Satan tries to force, or trick us into sinning. Making good look evil, and vice/versa. That is bitter and we do not want that in our lives, we want the sweet.

HB said...

P.S. Forgot to mention I love the song and have listened to it multiple times. You pick really good music.