The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Monsters, Myths, and Legends alike.....

.....We're Den 7 now go take a hike!!
(cheer credit goes to Braden)
That is the cheer my
Cub Scout Day Camp career will end on.
It has been a good ride.
I have been sitting here trying to figure out how many years
I have been den leader for the boys each summer in June.
6 or more times I think....I can't be sure 
(with my memory and math skills),
but basically each boy can go for four years, 
or more if they want to go participate as den chiefs,
which Ethan and Ryker have both done.
The camp runs from 8:30am - 4:00pm each day 
for five days.
Every year there is a different theme -
We have done Indians, forest animals, Adventure,
Books (the best year IMHO), Theatre (the worst in 
EVERYONES OPINION, the boys are not into working
on making plays during the day, and then
putting them on in 100 degree weather....lesson 
learned), this year was....you may have
guessed, Monsters, Myths, and Legends.

We start each day, and end it with the flag ceremony,
including the pledge of allegiance.
"HATS OFF"!
I don't think there was one time in all the 
years of going to day camp that I was able
to complete the pledge without getting teared up.
I feel so proud when I hear all those boys (and girls) 
standing with the scout salute, 
or at least trying to in the blistering heat,
sweat and dirt covering their bodies,
burnt cheeks, exhausted from another day of fun,
giving their pledge to our flag and country.

Every year there are several things that we do each 
day at camp in addition to the pledge.
B-B shooting
Archery
Swimming
Crafts
Lunch 
Canoe and Snorkel on alternate days
Then there is always one or two unique (theme focused)
activities added to the mix each day.
It is amazing to see the quick progress and improvement
the boys make with their shooting.
They love the weapon activities.  
I save all of their targets and put their names on them and 
bundle them up to take home with their camp packs.
They are always anxious about showing their families their 
Bulls Eyes...you can see Shad's famous 
reverse end bullseye above.

I got in on a little more of the action this year.
Usually at day camp there is one - three adult volunteers 
there with me.  For the past several years
our den has joined with the Viera Ward's den at camp
and we have been able to travel together and combine forces.
This year we had to go on different weeks.
I was unable to get any other parents to come volunteer with
me for the week, due to legit work obstacles, 
family obligations, 
girls camp, etc.
At first this was a big downer, and I was pretty bummed.
Sometimes having the other moms there to talk, 
laugh, and commiserate with was just the thing to make it through 
another long day.
But it worked out just fine.
I enjoyed working with our exceptional den chief Peter.
Plus we ended up having extra youth help on the first 
three days of camp, two older sisters of one of our 
boys, and so on.
They were all wonderful.
Carolyn came and spent a few hours one day and
offered to stay on, but we had such a good den of
18 boys, the help was really taken care of.
Tina filled in with
one of the dads when I needed to come late so I could
teach my class, etc.
So this year, 
since I wasn't involved in my own "adult" conversations
I had the opportunity to 
L-I-S-T-E-N
I loved hearing the boys be boys.
Talking about the times of giant alligators, and dinosaurs.
Wondering and pondering the things of the world.
Coming up with cheers.
Hiding in their fort....until it was made off limits.
Strategizing for water day on Friday and so forth.
PLUS
I went through all my cooking magazines
and tore out all the recipes I am interested in trying.
Sweet!
 It was hard to narrow down the pictures to my favs,
but I think you will get a pretty good idea of our time at camp.
Lunch was the best, it was a trading bonanza.
Fruit roll ups, Doritos, and cheese Whales held the highest value.
Squeeze applesauce, nuts, and raisins were pretty much 
worthless.  The owner was stuck with those items.  
This guy was from GatorLand and he was AWESOME!
 One extra sweet bonus this year was that McCauley got to be 
in Girl Patrol.
This is exactly like the cub scouts, except they are girls.
They do all the same fun stuff.
She had a blast.
I was very happy because their den was right by ours, 
just behind a big clump of trees.
We saw each other many times throughout the days.
There are some special little guys out there.
Who knows what they will become?
Their future is very bright!
This picture of Lawson is the perfect summation 
of Day Camp!
This kid looks pretty joyful.
Caroline invited us all over for dinner and a swim party 
on Friday (so YUMMY!),
they have three little boys, two went to day camp.
It was Noahs first time,
I asked how he liked camp,
He said, "It was only like the best week of my Life!!"

5 comments:

HB said...

That looks like a TON of fun for the kids. It is great that you choose to participate in the experience with them. Lawson and McCauley can look back at this written memory and remember their own experience through your eyes.

I remember bits and peices of each camp experience from my youth, but not a whole lot, and I don't think I have pictures of any of it. I love all the pictures you shared - especially the one of Lawson joyfully leaping into the water...sweet times.

Melissa said...

Hi HB, thanks for the comment. Question: does the music for my blog come on automatically when you come to my page still? Mine used to, but now will not play unless I go down and push the play button. Not sure what I changed, wondered if it changed for everyone. I am sure some would like this better.....I added that song I told you about in your comments yesterday. Be sure and take a listen, it is a good one.

HB said...

It no longer comes on automatically - I was actually going to ask about it, but decided you must have had a reason to change it.

Melissa said...

Hmmm, I will have to figure that out.

Sandra said...

Hello Melissa! I am a Twilight Camp director in Tennesse and I think we are going to use this theme for our camp in 2012! It looks like you guys had a great time!! Anything you can share would be great, what kind of craft did you do? anything the boys especially loved.
And what is a Girl PatroL???? dyin to know!!