The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Turkey Day yesterday.....


Another year starting our 
Thanksgiving Day out right with the Suntree Turkey Trot. 
We've added a new runner this year for the Christensen Family,
Miss M.
This little lady and I partnered up for the 5K.
She H E L D her own.
I was so tickled with her effort.
This girl is serious about giving her all.
She ran the entire 3 miles.....
less a few very short walking breaks
at the very end when I was worried she may pass out on me.
She has kind of been limping around since the run.
Her calves are pretty sore.
K is also complaining of soreness.....I love it.
Ethan is finally stepping up the pace.
I thank Satellite High's Baseball conditioning for that.
They really work those boys hard.....
it is fantastic!!
After seeing M through the finish line I went on to join 
the girls for the 10K.
 Here is a few of the crew.
Tina took care of Aubrey and I by outfitting us in matching sox-
Loved it!!
I am pretty sure excellent outfits make me run much better.
If you know you have something eye catching on....
you are going to be catching eyes,
better be rocking the bling.
 Loved this Thanksgiving Day.

M and I jumped the gun by one day and started in 
on the Christmas decorating.
We thought it would be fun to relax and enjoy the beauty
of our efforts on Thanksgiving....rather than hustling around
doing the work on T day.
I had Ryker out in the garage with us, 
tossing down boxes,
clambering up on top of the fridge, over on the washer 
trying to get to stuff.
Scaled piles of chain, tools, duffle bags, etc.
to get to the ladder, 
which was amazingly - inconveniently put away up high for once.
Convinced Ryker to dig the tree out of the attic,
eww
but at least I caught it coming down.

Kev made it home in a nick of time....around midnight the night before.
Lots to be grateful for!
One of the highlights of our feast was the gravy!!
I mastered it for the first time!!
We practically wanted to drink the stuff....
it was that good!
I followed a step by step guide with pictures.
It helped that I finally purchased a roasting pan this year.
It was a pleasure to use.
I even made a stock out of the giblets and neck to enhance 
the flavor of the gravy.
I had to google which blubbery part was the liver so I could 
remove it first.
I know this is old hat and "duh" for most of you.....
it feels like a big success for me.
I am super proud.
(you would understand if you had tasted my previous efforts)
I just never thought I would be saying that my 
gravy was the star of the meal.
I just don't want to stop bragging about it.....
GRAVY, GRAVY, GRAVY!
Bomb. HA! YEAH!

Next year we all agreed, 
I need to take up making homemade rolls.
OK - goal has been set.
Homemade rolls!
I have a year to master these little guys.
Would love you a whole bunch more if you offered me 
your ultimate favorite roll recipe....
I am looking for one with at least partial whole wheat.

Here is the other thing I really love -
makes me feel like an amazing pioneer woman
homemade turkey stock from the carcass.
I used to just chuck the whole mess in the trash.
Good Day Sir.
We are done here.

But no more, 
starting last year I found the recipe below.
Last night it smelled soooooo good simmering away.
I have three large pitchers of the best smelling broth ever.
After I make a giant caldron of soup
I am going to figure out what to freeze this stuff in. 

(No Brainer)Turkey Stock Recipe
                1 turkey carcass, practically picked clean
                2 bay leaves
                2 onions, peeled and quartered
                2 carrots
                1 sprig thyme
Directions:
1.             Toss everything into a large stockpot.
2.              Add enough water to cover.
3.             Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer.
4.              Simmer for 1 hour.
5.              Strain.




2 comments:

HB said...

Wow - busy fun filled day for the Christensen's. Did Lawson also run? I don't see his number. Does Kev do a lot of running? You all look so good. I loved picturing Ryker crawling around for you in the garage and attic. It reminds me how grown up your kids are now. I am interested to know how you made your gravy - what was different? What was the ah ha part for you? My gravy is not bad, but it could be better. Doesn't a roasting pan make ALL the difference?

I got your package today...will let you know how it all goes.

Love ya,
HB

Mamapierce said...

Great job on the gravy! Here is my favorite roll recipe:

http://warriorkitchen.blogspot.com/2010/02/my-favorite-roll-recipe.html