The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Half Way There!!

This morning I had some sweet success with my running.
I ended up running alone at 6:00 a.m.
I will just get straight to the point and say it was a 
FANTASTIC RUN!!!
I nailed it today.
It felt really, really good! 
My goal was to run 11 - 12 miles,
I decided to push through a half because I was so close.

There are countless times that I fall short of my training goals,
I wanted to see what it was like to actually 
exceed them for once.
I beat my fastest Half Marathon by 1 second....
ok, not a lot.
Not really anything....but still.
It did not even occur to me to try until the end,
my plan was just to run steady
.....no stopping.

I ran 13.13 in 2:05
My total mileage was 13:17....
so I also ran farther than I have ever run in one solid clump before.

During the Ragnar I ran more miles within a 24 hour period,
but not in one long run.

Like Ethan said,
So you are excited because it was your longest run ever....
 you ran .04 longer than you have ever run in the past,
and you beat your time by 1 second?
YES!
That counts as my PB=
PERSONAL BEST to date.

 It was in the 60's today so a bit cooler than normal.
I wanted to test out these most excellent stir-up socks as arm warmers.
I half expected to get an armpit rash or something,
but I did not.
They were a delight.
When my arms were warm enough I just slipped off the little hand
bands and let my palms enjoy the cool air.

Finally I had a triumph with my new running system :
which is running only with my Iphone,
no additional Garman, or music.
It is all in one now baby!
I utilized this little homemade fabric bag to put my phone in,
then inserted that into my sports bra pocket.
It was a good tight one so there was no slippage
whatsoever.  
However, in case that ever does pose a problem,
I will just tie the holder to my strap and stop the sliding 
right in its tracks.
 I started my Running Keeper, 
which kept me updated on my pace, mileage, and time every 5 minutes
which I loved very much.
I thought it was just the right amount of time between updates.
I listened to Pandora Radio, my first attempt,
I went with "Foster The People" as my music choice....
my sister Amy has said that she listens to them almost all the 
time when she runs.
Thought I would give them a go.
LOVED!
Perfect tempo, very steady.
What really helped is that I did not fidget with, touch, or look
at my phone the entire run.
I really liked that.

My route:
I ran from our place down past the Sanctuary Gates, 
(4 miles), then back the same way past our street this time and on down
South Patrick Drive, all the way to the end of the running path,
and then back home.
It was very nice. 
I left out the causeway all together.
The thing I liked the most, 
(I only found out because I was forced into it.)
My sports bra had a design hole in the back, 
my water kept slipping through.  
To offset this dilemma  I ran a few miles and left it 
in a strategic location, then grabbed it up on the way back.
Went a few miles past my return turn, dropped, then picked it up on my way back.
Since I knew I would be retracing my steps
it was a great system.

Sorry you had to read every little minute detail.
They were all what made the run great to me.
.... I read that today on Shut Up & Run ...
I really liked not having a single regret today.
...............................
After, the boys ran off with Kevin to do scouting for food.
M and I went to march in the local 
Founders Day Parade with her girl scout troop.
Their troop won a free 2 day camp "Jamboree"
for having 100% participation in a recent service 
opportunity.
So they did a little presentation to award that with the 
TOP girl scout ladies from Orlando.
Wowsa!
The girls had to learn a dance that they performed at the
end of that parade for the judges.
It was fun.

Hope you had a happy successful Saturday as well!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey good lookin! Great to hear how good you are doing! Nothing like making your mom proud as punch!HEHE

HB said...

eh? Is that Ananymous really Mom? hmmm. You are looking good. I noticed a strange phenomenon when I was training for my marathon a loooong time ago. It seemed every other long run I did alternated between powerful good and dragging. Have you noticed that? I used to run to River Dance and Enya...weird, but it was so inspiring to me. I also trained with a tape player...wow - that really was a long time ago!! It is really just around the corner isn't it? Very exciting.

Did Mc miss the memo to wear white? Your family sure stays busy.

Love ya,
HB

Melissa said...

I know HB....not sure if that comment sounds like something mom would actually say. Kinda gave me the heebies. I will have to ask her.

Tape player? Wow. I remember trying to run with a cd player, it would always skip, and stop. Had to run very gently and smoothly to get any music to flow. How ridiculous! Technology has come such a long way. We are spoiled these days aren't we?

Yes, M's mom misread the memo....I thought it said navy and or white. But it worked out ok.

Aubrey said...

Loved this post. Energizing. I need to get that running keeper? app. That would be nice. I also need to get a bra with a pouch. I would love to just run with my phone. Congrats! 2 months from tomorrow!
I think your half mile time is great. I am praying I get somewhere near that but don't know if it will happen. Guess that's a good goal to make.

Melissa said...

Hey Aub, I don't really have a bra with a pouch, I just call it my bra pocket because I use it as such. You know what I mean? Any sports bra will do, I like having my phone in that fabric bag so it doesn't get all sweaty. It stays put a lot better.

Definitely download the Running Keeper. It is great company, and very motivating.

I think a good goal to make is to finish the race with as little pain as possible, no PBs are really necessary when you are coming back from an injury as you are. As for myself, and this being my first marathon.....looking to finish w/out injury. I know you hear me on this one!