The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Friday, November 18, 2011

Run YOUR race.

Each Thursday after I teach my class at Our Club
I volunteer at the front desk for three hours.
I really like my time there because I get to sit and catch up on my 
magazine reading, plan future workouts, or just enjoy the 
three hours of guilt free time reading my current book.....
in between welcoming guests, intermittent chit-chatting, 
and answering few phone calls.
Yesterday I read an article I thought was worth sharing called,
Way to Run!
The author Stephanie Young, is a "middle aged" runner.  
She had always jogged, 
but it wasn't until she was 47
that she tackled her first Half Marathon.
Since that time she has run several more half's, and fulls.
 At age 51 she qualified for the Boston Marathon and ran it well.

What I find so inspiring is that she continues improve, 
and push herself to new heights.

 Here are some snippets I really liked from her article -

I have never let my calendar define me, and it turns out, I shouldn't
have to.  The majority of aging symptoms are actually signs of muscle 
disuse.  If you stop using a muscle or putting a joint through its
range of motion, you get weaker, more limited body movements.

She says Life, or at least the way you think about it changes 
radically after 40.
oh my....REALLY?
You have the mindset of a confident woman.
I stopped worrying about achieving some sort of perfect body and
learned to love what I had:
Sturdy thighs, a muscular bottom, long legs with
strength and stamina.

Instead of wasting energy obsessing about my appearance or 
letting less-than-perfect thighs prevent me from participating,
I just showed up and ran. 
And when I did, I saw some of the younger women at the start lines
fidgeting with their spandex and Lycra and looking around as if they were
onstage for spectators to scrutinize.
Meanwhile, women of my vintage simply seemed happy to be there.

Some of her Running Tips:

  • Keep torso upright, joints aligned to be a speedier, more efficient runner.  Over long distances, the fewer extraneous movements you make, the fresher you'll stay.
  • Stop judging your training on miles, instead focus on form, speed and endurance, with plenty of recovery time.
  • Include 3 types of running in preparing for longer runs: long runs - for stamina, mile repeats (Mile repeats are just what they sound like - running one mile multiple times with a short break in between. It is best to have some rest time between each interval. While you may be tempted to sit or stand around, it is best that you keep moving. It is recommended that for every mile you perform at a high level, you follow it up by slowly jogging half a mile. This way you have enough time to rest yet keep your body active and prepared for the next interval.) -  for speed, and tempo runs - run comfortable, then speed up for 3 - 5 mins.  
  • Unclench the tension you may be holding in your body.  Do you clench or tighten anything when you run?  I find I need to shake my hands out frequently.  Periodically check with your tight spots and relax your muscles.  Let your butt hang.  You will run faster, and not waste much-needed energy.
  • USE EVERY MENTAL MUSCLE.  For the first 20 or so miles your body is doing the driving.  During the last 6 it's your head in the driver's seat, overriding messages about how tired your legs are, how numb, how cramped.  IT IS YOUR BRAIN THAT GETS YOU ACROSS THE FINISH LINE.  You need serious mental fortification.
  • Don't sprint to get around someone, just keep running until you pass them.
  • Concentrate on running smart.
  • Stop for water early, it takes a while for the water to be absorbed.  
  • Run tangents (the straight line between two points) instead of following every curve on the course.
Lastly,
I don't run the race,
I run MY race!


I am so close to 40 I can taste it.
I am happy and excited to be gaining on this 
exciting "vintage" time 
in my life.
It feels good to be more relaxed and self assured.
To have come to the realization that others opinions or judgements of me 
(even if they are just perceived by the insecure me)
really don't amount to beans. 

I enjoy reading and learning about women like Stephanie Young....
she inspires me to reach out and grab life with both hands.
To push and excel and see what I am 
capable of becoming and doing.

Is it obvious I am trying to psych myself up for 
my 16 mile run tomorrow??
I am attempting to build "my Mental Muscles"!!!




1 comment:

HB said...

I hope your run went well yesterday. It is so great to find inspiration when you most want/need it.

Do you have any big celebraton plans for your 40th? I am sure your girl friends will take good care of you, but do you have any idea how you and Kev will celebrate yet?

HB