The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

A few books...

1560326
Melissa Christensen's review 
Apr 21, 11  ·  edit

4 of 5 stars

Shelly gave me this book. I really liked it. It was about a family that lived practically homeless their entire life.....and that was exactly how they (at least the parents) wanted it. The parents were dysfunctional on many levels. "The Glass Castle" is a memoir of one of the daughters, who is now a journalist. There were many moments where I was really hating the parents, and then in the next chapter, the dad steps up and does something pretty awesome. I thought the dad came up w/ some ingenious gifts....very creative and convincing man. I liked how the kids stuck together for the most part - they understood that they stood a better chance taking on the world together. They were always there for each other. I was constantly amazed at the situations they were in that they were not killed, assaulted, or worse....what could be worse? It is amazing the things we all take for granted on a daily basis....a bed, a toilet, food, shelter, this was eye opening. These kids were survivors no doubt. Yes, you should read it.
(Tina you can borrow my copy)
1560326
Melissa Christensen's review 
Apr 21, 11  ·  edit

4 of 5 stars

My sister in law recommended this book to me. The first half is a pretty tough read, tough meaning sad and hard to swallow. This book revolves around the jewish round up in Paris France. I was really clueless about all of this part of history (most history). I know basically the "Anne Frank" story, that is about it. Through out the book I kept thinking, along with the girl Sarah, whom the book is about, she kept wondering what made her different from other children, she couldn't imagine why she and all of the other people with her had to be treated that way. WHO HAD DECIDED THIS? AND WHAT FOR? Because they were Jews. But I still don't get it. So what? So you are saying that because they were Jews....Jews that crucified Jesus Christ hundreds, and hundreds of years ago, they were being murdered and tortured? These are supposed believers in Christ doing all of this? It makes no sense. The book was good overall, I did learn a lot about that time period. I would recommend it.

I am starting this book today.
I am quite leery, last night Ethan pulled out a parental permission slip
that required a signature in order for the student to be able to 
read "Speak" along with the class.
RED FLAG.
I got it to read first.
I will report in a few days.

3 comments:

HB said...

How many books do you think you read each month? Just wondering.

Melissa said...

Hug, these are pretty small books, but I volunteer at Our Club for three hours after my class on Thursdays. That is a huge chunk of guilt free reading time. I just man the front desk, it is pretty slow from 9:30 - 12:30. Pretty sweet huh?

HB said...

That is pretty sweet...