The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Sunday, April 24, 2011

"Speak"






1560326
Melissa Christensen's review 
Apr 24, 11  ·  edit

5 of 5 stars
status: Read from April 21 to 24, 2011

Ethan is in 8th grade at DeLaura Middle School this year. He came home earlier this week with a parental permission slip that needed to be signed in order for him to participate in the reading aloud of "Speak" in his Language Arts class. At first when I read the paper I said, No Way. If you need parental approval it is a definite no go. Nope. No ifs ands or buts. Ethan was like, mom, my teacher said no parent has ever said no. I don't want to sit in another room by myself and do some other assignment on my own. Please look into it. So Kevin and I did. I got online and looked up the parent reviews for this book. Read many. Every review I read was positive and in support of this book. Finally after holding a copy for myself at the library, and Kevin and I going over the contents of the book, and the "Red Flag" topics.... underage drinking, rape, premarital sex, abortion....now this all sounds extremely bad, but these are the topics that we discussed with Ethan that night before signing the paper. We talked about our beliefs and his understanding on what each topic actually meant. Rape = sex without permission. ok...I guess this has come up in school. 
I was anxious to get my book. I was highly skeptical. I was able to pick it up the next day and, have been racing through it. I just finished it this afternoon. I waffled on what rating to give it. This is one of the very few 5 stars I have given. This was a thought provoking book. It was sad and disappointing. This little girl went through so much, but as the book goes on she finally starts to come through the other side of this huge trial. I love the symbolism the author uses throughout the book. How she relates nature to life. This young lady was able to find the strength she had within herself and grow. I do recommend it.....especially for parents to read if your child has been assigned it. You will be able to discuss these issues and talk openly about them with your teen. It was a good opportunity for us to take advantage of. 

1 comment:

HB said...

I think that is a great way to monitor your kids reading, plus it is a great way to read some good books you might never have thought to read. There are SOOOO many books to read and too little time. I am glad you gave Ethan the opportunity to think about these serious issues with his peers in a controlled environment. I think it is so important...and I know it all!! HA - HB