The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Proud....

This past Sunday I had to go early for Ward Council.
I needed to be there at 8:30.
Now that Ethan is a teacher, he helps with the sacrament set up,
and greets people at the door with the programs,
so he needs to be there at 9:30 (Ryker to).
I have been leaving my meeting early in the past, but finally said no more.
This is ridiculous, we are all going together.
 You kids can set up the primary room while I am at my meeting.
I stayed for the entire meeting that went long.
I was sort of anxious to get down to the primary room and 
see what kind of craziness what going down.
I had determined in my mind that I would not go out 
of my mind if they had resorted to wrestling, 
or being insane on the coveted microphone,
but that I would just help them do better next time.
When I walked in this is what I saw.
I was so dang thrilled with them.
I guess Vanessa also had to be there early for choir,
so four of her kids were in there as well.
I saw Lawson playing at the piano - he wasn't playing a church song,
but his new song for the upcoming recital -
Mission Impossible 
(amazing how quick you can memorize a song
you actually like!)
Ryker and V's older boys were quietly playing hangman,
now I didn't notice if they were using church words....
but I loved it.
McCauley and Izzy were indeed at the mic,
but M had the big Article of Faith poster down and 
was helping Iz memorize number one.
Declan was just milling around, and didn't mind 
posing for a quick picture.
I looked around the room, they had the table cloth on,
chair covers, door magnets up.
It made me feel very happy.

Yesterday I got Ethan out of school and took him to his 
Orthodontist appointment.
We have been hearing about this "Herbst Appliance"
for a while now.  Neither he nor I had any idea what it was they 
kept referring to.
Well.....Ta-daaaaa!
This contraption is massive.
It blew my mind when I saw what they had 
inserted into his mouth.
This will stay in for 10 months!!!
It may be hard for you to see but he has four silver caps on,
these caps help anchor the tube and rod that you see on either side.
These are kind of like shock absorbers.
There is a bar across the bottom and top of the mouth as well.
This appliance will hold his lower jaw in a forward direction,
while at the same time applying pressure to the upper 
jaw in a backward direction.
His cheeks poke out just a little, looks like 
he might be eating.
He has a very difficult time talking,
certainly it will get much better.
Eating is out of the question, I got him a large chocolate shake 
yesterday, made him a "yummy" vita mix this 
morning, and told him I would save the rest in the fridge for 
when he got home.
He tried eating soft scrambled eggs last night.
I was trying not to watch him try and get it down his throat, 
kind of like a pelican.
Supposedly this will also improve w/ time.
He cannot move his jaw from side to side at all.
Man....I don't know about you....
but I would be 
CRYING MY EYES OUT!!
I would be loosing my mind and literally 
going insane!!
I would be a beast!
10 MONTHS OF THIS FREAKING TORTURE!???
Are you kidding me?
I have not seen him cry, but I have.  
secretly.
I have not seen him lash out, or complain.
I feel bad for him.
I guess I should get over it, he is not the first kid that
has had to be uncomfortable w/ their braces.
but still...
How could anyone tolerate such a load of crap in their mouth?
This morning I heard him try and practice talking out in the front room.
I can only imagine how cruel kids can be 
with the whole metal mouth stuff.
We shall see how it goes.
I am proud of that kid.

2 comments:

Mamapierce said...

Wow! What a brave boy!

HB said...

For clarification...are they trying to move his jaw? Not just straighten out his teeth? I hope the kids are not hard on him. It is great to hear how proud you are of all your kids and sweet to see how much you care.

HB