The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

An Unbelievable Scare.....

Last night McCauley and I had a girls night.
The boys were at scouts and baseball practice, Kev was doing his thang.
So M and I wanted to have a little fun.
We delivered a dinner to a family in the ward and 
were off to Ross to try on shoes and clothes.  
M likes to go through the size 5 women's shoes and see what she "fits" into.
Then we both get a load of clothes to try on and head to the fitting rooms.
I focused on new workout gear last night.
I made a purchase, we decided M should hold off because she didn't 
find just the right thing.
Well, after that super fun time we had one last stop to make.
PUBLIX - 
sweet, our favorite store.
I had finished gathering, printing, clipping and organizing my coupons 
and we were ready to get down to business.
It was later than we usually go,
so none of my usual cashiers were working.
No biggie I thought.
Earlier this week my favorite cashier Kathy told me that  they 
had changed their coupon policy...
my heart skipped a beat or two,
I asked her to please fill me in.
She said they no longer permit overage.
Oh, alright....no problem.  Can't blame Publix really for that.
So that was it....I thought.
One of my coupon friends called me the next day saying that
she had gotten roughed up a bit on her latest trip to the store, 
they had not let her use some of her coupons. 
She was frustrated and wondered what was going on.
I said, listen, I will be going to the store tomorrow,
I will let you know how it goes,
hopefully it was an isolated incident.
Back to last night,
after a good bit of time pulling our purchases together
M and I were at the check out.
I went to one of the young men that were checking.
(I won't name names so you don't pass judgement)
As he was ringing our items through he says I notice you have 
coupons, yes, you are correct.
Well, our policy has changed, I will need to have my supervisor 
come go over these with me to make sure they 
are all acceptable.
hmmm?
I said I know you are not allowing overage anymore,
there should be no problem.
Well, I see that you have the razor coupons, and I will not be 
able to accept those coupons.
Why on earth not?
They are manufactures coupons, they are for the exact item 
described.  Publix will get every penny back + .08 extra
for each coupon.
Sorry no.
I say go ahead and ask your super.
He does, well, ok, I guess we can accept them.
Of course.
Well, he scoured each and every coupon, declining one after another.
By this time Jeff, the supervisor was there as well,
he was backing him up.
I won't tell the complete story it is just too long,
but essentially they kept having to dig items out of my bagged up 
cart of groceries and returning them.
It went on, we no longer accept Target coupons....
really, since tonight?
The checker started to get upset and saying that he didn't
know what my problem was,
that they didn't make the rules, why was I questioning everything,
and so forth.
His face was going red and I was looking over at Jeff....
like...really?
Jeff kept telling him to stop it, to settle down, it took 
a few tries for him to settle.
I was in shocksville...
Stuperland.

McCauley looked so scared, she said mom this isn't right.
What are they doing?
Why is he taking our groceries out?
Man, it was so mortifying.
Finally, after the checker says, Jeff, you are just going to need to 
void this whole thing out and start over.
I said, no thank you.
Please return my coupons and you can keep your groceries.
I asked Jeff for the managers name and his hours 
for the following day.
I was having an extremely tough time keeping 
from tearing up.
As Jeff was getting a paper and writing down the managers 
name he kept saying I am so sorry this happened.
I said, I just can't believe what you are doing.
I cannot believe what you have done.
I cannot believe this policy.....
(I know waaaaaaay too much drama....like I said....shockville)
Then we turned around and walked out of the store....
I thought we did anyway.
M didn't catch on that we were not taking our cart with us,
she had turned around and snatched our cart and was following 
me with our goods.
She was like mom......our food!!
Ohhhhhh....
honey, we aren't taking that.
I walked it back in as the workers and shoppers looked on.
But mom, what about our buttery syrup, and the
fudge covered oreos that I picked?
Can you say..... Humiliation.
I felt so bad.
...........................................
OK, so I was thrown into deep dispair.
I can not imagine not using coupons,
and not shopping at my Publix.
That is my store.
I love my store. 
I spoke with Tina today,
not looking for sympathy, I knew I would get none 
from her, she does not support or agree w/ my couponing.
She said you will just have to learn to pay full price
like the rest of us.
Sounds like a lifestyle change.
No Never.  I can't.
Sounds like you'll have to.
I won't.
Noooooooo....
Nooooo.
NO.
crying my eyes out.
...................................................
The time came when I was needing to go speak with the manager.
He only works until 5pm today....it was 4:00.
I was so scared.
I was trying to figure out what to wear.
I wanted to look good, but not too good.
Classy, but not like I was trying too hard.
Smart, thrifty, something that gave me confidence.
I chose a simple brown dress with cream crochet trim,
small pearl necklace and stud earrings.
At first I had on heels......over the top,
I put on flip flops.
I felt appropriately dressed for the occasion.
I had pulled together my coupons from the night before
(minus the Target ones)
so I could go over them w/ the manager.
 I brought a note pad to write 
the new policy down and make sure I got it.
The kids were wishing me luck,
Lawson was giving me pointers on what to say,
he actually said he wished he could just go in and 
take care of it.  
I said to please just say a prayer in their hearts that 
everything will go well.
At the front desk I asked to speak with the manger....
Mr. Johnson.
I saw him come out of his office and went to meet him.
I introduced myself and asked if I could take a few minutes of his 
time and talk to him about an experience I had last night.
I wanted to get clarification on the new coupon policy.
He invited me into his office with his business assistant Tara.
The office was no bigger than a postage stamp....
Two chairs, Tara and I were sitting, Mr. Johnson stood.
I began......
I know this is going on....
I will try and cut.....here are just the highlights....
I say so I understand that you no longer take Target coupons - 
yes, we still take them.
So it is my understanding that I can only use one of any coupon
that says "one per customer per purchase",
well, one per item.  You can get as many as you have a coupon for.
So have you taken away the expired store coupons?
No, you can use all you want.
I don't understand what has changed.
He said all my coupons were perfectly fine.

Here is the bottom line - 
there are many dishonest couponers that are using BJ 
Club coupons - ie. using $7 M&M coupon on a .50 bag of M&Ms.
They are robbing them blind.
This is the issue.
Blatant abuse.
The manager is sick to death of it.
He instructed his clerks to LOOK at every coupon.
Read what it says and accept it accordingly.
So, they are just a little over the top and not understanding some 
of the wording.
The meeting was so good.
I said, so I can go out there and use these coupons
and there will be no trouble?
I can keep shopping at the store that I love?
Yes!  Yes...please.
Please tell your friends that everything is fine.
Please continue shopping with us.
I am going to give you a gift card for this experience.....
I was looking like I was going to try and say no...
but he said don't even try to say no because it is happening.
Shop early from now on when one of us is here.
He said Jeff was mortified, I guess 
he emailed them both last night after the incident.
So apparently they knew I would be calling.
I walked out of the office.
I saw Kathy checking at the speedy isle....I didn't get to talk with her.
But she was definitely wondering what went down.
After my small fast shop,
I saw Jeff on my way out.
We greeted each other with Glee...at least that was 
how I greeted him.
He looked very 
relieved after I told him that it was all worked out.  
I still get to shop here!!!
Whoohooo!
life is back to normal.
What a scare.



3 comments:

Aubrey said...

That's crazy! Good to know that we can still shop there. I about died when I heard things might be changing. I'll just have to make sure I go in the mornings too. Crazy!!

Mamapierce said...

SO GLAD that everything worked out in the end. What a relief! :D

HB said...

WOW...Well, first of all I am proud of you for taking that head on. I think it is incredible what you do w/the couponing thing and I wonder how the store makes money when you can walk out with $200 worth of food for $30 bucks, but they must or they wouldn't do it.

I think it is also great that you just walked away from your purchases. I think it was very brave - I would have folded and just paid for them, I know I would have.

I think it is a little funny that you were so worried about what you would wear for your meeting, but it also speaks to how important this was to you.

The other thing you did, that I do all the time, was avoid the difficult call/visit until you HAD to. It is SOOO miserable waiting and stewing about it and then when it is over, such a relief. I am glad you got the outcome you desired.

It is awesome that Lawson was looking out for you...good boy. HB