The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

11th DAY OF THE 9th MONTH

After church the kids and I always take out the papers.
I divy out the two sports pages to 
Ethan and Ryker.
Lawson and McCauley each get one of the comics.
I get all the guts... ads, coupons, and such.
M usually asks me to read a comic or two to her.
Today she asked me to read this one....
at first glance I was like, 
awwww, geez McCauley,
why this one?
(It was not her typical choice, usually she chooses the ones
with girls and cute kids)
I started reading....






I got quite, 
and had to stop on a few occasions because I got
choked up.
At the end M said she didn't really catch what was funny 
about it.
It caught me off guard to.
I appreciated it.

M said excitedly.....
Ohhhhhh, so that's what 9/11 is!
While I was in the hall with one of the older
girls today she asked me if I knew what 9/11 was.
I said I didn't, 
but then she walked away without telling me.
Then when we were singing I asked my friend 
why she was wearing the american flag today.
She said she didn't know,
her mom just gave it to her.
Now I get it!!
It was to remember 9/11.
We talked more about it.
I explained the words she didn't understand like terrorists.
It got me finally thinking back on that day.
I remember I was ironing,
I never iron.
I had the t.v. on in the day....
I never have the t.v. on in the day time.
I remember watching it unfold in disbelief.
The boys have football on now.
M and I keep running in to watch the 
commemoration tributes that are going on in-between
the playing of the game. 
I am grateful that others remember,
so that I cannot forget.


2 comments:

HB said...

It was strange for me today as well because I couldn't figure out why it was SOOO Big this year - then I realized it is the 10 year anniversary. I was at home with Travis getting ready for work when the first plane flew into the first tower. I did go to work that day, but we all huddled around the radio listening together, crying and wondering how it was going to change our lives. We did end up leaving early to go home to be with our families. One of the games today had a HUGE flag stretched over the football field and an Eagle was released that flew around the stadium while the Star Spangled Banner was sung - the best part was the roar of the crowd as the eagle flew by in a salute to America - it was like a wave...very special.

Anonymous said...

Thank Goodness for the Comics! I could go on but I won't.