The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Friday, September 9, 2011

DANCE JAM Report .....

Today, 
at long last, I taught my first Zumba class....
only, I am not certified, so it was 
called "Dance Jam".
Ha!
This has been in the making for a while.
If you missed the back story,
you can find it HERE.

There is a full time Zumba instructor at Our Club that has
become injured.  She has tendonitis in her foot,
which is apparently quite painful.
She teaches every Wed. and Fri. at 8:30.
I have seen several pleas for help from Maria trying to get subs.
Finally I could take it no longer....
I went for it.
Why shouldn't I?
Do I want to?
Heck YES!
Do I know how to Zumba or dance.....?
well, no, but....
I can do this!!
Maria gave me both days just like that.
Thankfully an actual Zumba instructor threw her hat in the ring
and I "graciously" gave up the Wed. classes to her.
Say Hallelujah!
That took a little pressure off.
This week, starting on Tuesday has been a whirlwind of
preparation and planning,
oh yeah...
and
OBSESSING non stop about the impending dooms day class
barreling down on me.
I worked a little with our resident Zumba Queen Maria....
she gave me some good ideas and great tips at her place.
I was able to hit Wed. Zumba class
and remember what it was like.
Very helpful.

I have been behind closed doors in our office sweating my
brains out every day since.
Oh, sorry kids, moms got to work on her class.
I'll be out in a minute!!
Please, can I just do this alone with out distractions?
L I know it's your birthday today....
I'll hurry as fast as I can, just six more songs....
um....K are you done in here yet...I am pretty sure
this Zumba thing is way more
important than you making a living for our family.
You get the idea.

Skipping to this morning.
Emily filled in for my Sculpt Your ASSetts class
so I could be fresh for the Dance Fest.
Thank you!

I had 13 attendees.
One being male.
This guy has been to every Zumba class I have ever attended.
He stands smack dab in the
front center of the room.
I was always super annoyed with this guy.
Today I couldn't have cared less.
Perv....not a perv?
Whatever dude.
Just make some noise would ya?
Oh yes he will.

I taped my cheat sheet write up onto the mirror.
I loved having it there,
I think the class liked it as well.
I kept them informed about what was up next.
How long we were going to push it for high intensity,
what muscle group we were going to focus in on, etc.

I was honest with the class and let them know that this
was my first experience teaching any type of
dance class.
(man I hate that word - "dance")
But that my goals were to get them sweating...a lot,
and for them to have a great time.
With that in mind I feel like the class was a big success.
As long as I:
 - constantly portrayed having the time of my life....
- steadily Worked the room like a mad dog....
- heartily Handed out high fives, like candy to my kids....
then room was high energy and loving life.

The song that scared me the most was the Salsa song....
so it finally came to me last night,
I think it was inspiration...
FREE STYLE!!
Duh!
This went over pretty well, I forced a few ladies up front,
we followed them for a while,
Geez -
take the pressure off me for 5 minutes.

If you were to come to the class,
having missed my opening speech you would have
thought I had been teaching this bad boy forever.
I projected confidence like I was a total pro....
inside was a whole other story.
Pretty much constant panic....what is next...
what is next....???
More grapevines!!
I heard a few of the ladies talking after,
they said,
man, that was AWESOME wasn't it??
whoohooo!!
(why couldn't they have said it to my face??
....at least I was lucky enough to hear it)


I am on again for next Friday.
I learned some good stuff I will implement into my next class.
i.e. we need a country song.
As I was driving home I realized I left my cheat sheet
taped to the mirror!
No!
I need that.....
Maria was in there now with her
hard core followers....
there was no way I was going to interrupt that show.
You know that's what it is don't you?
It's a performance.
At least that's what it feels like.
The better the entertainer you are the
bigger your fan club and classes become.
Not for our morning class.....but for the club it really feels that way.

After showering I snuck back to retrieve my paper.
I only had to interrupt the seated yoga ladies....
not too embarrassing.
I got home and was totally spent.
E X H A U S T E D.
Every muscle tired and over done.
I ate a massive bowl of white chilly, cut up tomatoes, chips, and guacamole.
Three hard as nails burnt cookies 
(got burnt yesterday while practicing for my class)
and milk.
Showered and went straight to bed.
I plan on doing nothing for the rest of the day, 
sitting and typing yes, 
and attending the talent show tonight.
I am not even making our bed!
Ha!
The mess will be here for me tomorrow.

The hard part is over.
Next week will be a breeze...
 If only I could call it SWEAT FEST....
that would make me so happy!

2 comments:

HB said...

I don't know why you can't call your class "Sweat Fest"...I like it, very catchy. I know my work out is good if my forearms start to glisten, and not from wiping my forehead with them either. I'm pretty sure I couldn't handle any of your classes, but I would sure like to watch one. I bet you are an awesome, energetic teacher.

I am glad you didn't get to keep the Weds class...whatever will Vera, Marge & Dorthy do without you while Marge rehabilitates her pulled muscle...

HB

Shelly Hyde said...

Ahhh meliss. I was thinking about you through out the week and am soooo glad to hear that you rocked it. I would have LOVED to have been there. i bet everyone loved you. Yes it is a shame you couldnt call it sweat fest.