The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

No Better Days Than These......

Yesterday I was getting ready to read over the 
visiting teaching message for the month 
when I remembered I had recently let my Ensign 
subscription lapse.
Next months is on its way now, 
but I was in a hurry and needed to scrounge up an
old issue fast.
I grabbed the first one I stumbled upon....
January 2011.
I stuffed it in my bag and the kids and I headed to church for scouts.
Once everyone was settled, I sat down to flip through
the articles to find one I thought might be applicable 
to our sisters this month.
I quickly chose 
This was such a sweet find.
I guess I skipped it the first go round through the magazine.
Paul V. Johnson is the speaker,
"Your future is not determined by the 
conditions around you.
It is determined by your faith, your choices, and your efforts."

He spoke a lot about the strong examples of
different people and times that have come before us.
He mentions many historical accounts of challenging 
times and circumstances when others lived, and went on 
to fulfill their destinies.
None of these people allowed the challenges they faced
or the conditions of their world to determine the trajectory
of their lives.  They went forward with faith, 
and through the blessings of the Lord, they all
became what they were meant to become.
 Your individual future is either bright or cloudy,
depending on YOU.
I guarantee that you will face challenges.
That is part of mortality.
It is expected.
It is OK.
In fact, it is necessary.
 From Howard W. Hunter - 
"I am here tonight to tell you that despair, doom, 
and discouragement are not an acceptable view
of life for a Latter-day Saint.
Knowing what we know, and living as we are supposed to live,
we really have no place, no excuse, for pessimism and despair.
(love this next part)
I have worked my way through the depression and managed
to go to law school while starting a young family
at the same time. 
I have seen stock markets and world economics go crazy......
So I am frank to say tonight that I hope you won't
believe all the world's difficulties have  been 
wedged into your decade, or that things 
have never been worse than they are for you personally, 
or that they will never get better.
There are no better days than these days,
because "these are your days" (Helaman 7:9)
You are on the earth at this time for a reason.
You have what it takes.
I think I love this so much because -
 A. I know it is true, that thought is comforting, and exciting.
B. It feels like tough love, and I am all for that. 
He is like wake up folks.
Come on....dig in and go for it!!
C. It reminds me of the baby blessing Kevin
gave to McCauley.  The only words I remember of 
any of our four kids blessings he gave are these -
McCauley, this is your time,  this is your turn on Earth.

It's our time.
I hope you go enjoy the full article.
It is definitely worth a second glance and 8 minutes of your time.
Have a wonderful day!

2 comments:

HB said...

"I hope you won't
believe all the world's difficulties have been
wedged into your decade"

Listening to Dad, it sure seems like this is the worst decade ever, but all I have to do is watch 'little house on the prairie' and I might disagree; or listen to a book about the Salem Witch Trials and cry with gratitude that I am not living in such a time.

I agree now is the best time to live...our time.

Like the photos - especially Lawson's hat. Where were you?

Melissa said...

We were at Temple Square and up on top of the conference center....that was a pretty cool tour. Yes, I totally thought of mom and dad while reading that article.