The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Today's A New Day...the first, only 179 to go....

Good Grief.
Do all moms go through painful withdrawals on the first day?
Guilt.
Joy.
Sadness.
Potential.
Worthlessness.
A severe need for chocolate?
PS - there is none in the house!!  No chocolate chips even....I had to steal a 
mini Almond Joy out of McCauley's school survival kit.
I figure it was for someones survival anyway...plus she doesn't like coconut or nuts.
normal?
I remember last year....
it was very similar, but maybe worse.

The kids are gone.
They are off learning....I am very excited for them.
Man, they were so pumped last night.
Checking and double checking times,
schedules, and supplies.
Lawson especially.
We met he and McCauley's teachers last night.
He was sooooooo relieved to find that his home room teacher,
Mrs. Iocano does not specialize in Math,
but rather Science.
He admitted that he pretty much lucked out this year.
Not a bad attitude to start with.

I biked all the kids to school this morning :
Lawson 5th / McCauley 1st -  Surfside Elementary - 8:15 - 2:45
Ethan 9th - Satellite High - 8:45 - 3:30
Ryker 7th - DeLaura Middle School - 9:30 - 4:15

Pretty Amazing that they are all within biking distance!!
What a bonus that is.

 Here we go!
I love M's teacher's theme this year...
Camp IWANNALEARNALOTTA!
Her whole room is decked out....even down to the little camp fire
they sit around for story time, etc.

Lawson really takes this school business serious.
He really got into his new school clothes also.
(He is the only one of the 3 brothers that will wear a collared shirt to school, 
I still need to remind him to undo the top button.)
We had fun shopping together....
I never would have guessed it,
but that kid has a fun style all his own.
After we dropped M at her class, she is attending a "mixed"
class this year - 1st and 2nd graders....just two from her Kindergarten class got
picked for this opportunity, 
she and the "smartest kid" in her kindergarten class.

L and I were walking over to his room,
I reached for his hand, 
he withdrew his.
I was like, hey sir, we are Mother and Son...
we still get to hold hands mister.
He relinquished his hand to me.
(Sorry, but not yet my friend.
The older two never did really hold hands with me
....I've got to hang on to it as long as I can).
 This kid is in High School.
What? no. Yes really.
He said I didn't have to ride with him to school...
but what the heck?
Why wouldn't I?.....I will keep out of sight, leave before anyone cool
might see me.  
I just wanted to see the route he was going to take....
make sure he could find the building for his first class...
you know.
Ryker was gnawing at the bit to leave.
He is the straggler, the late starter like Ethan was last year.
He played us a few hymns to calm our nerves and
set the tone for the day.
I really used to love it when Ethan would practice his piano before school
last year.  Looks like I will get a repeat.
 There he goes.......look at him go.
 now here i am.

I have been wanting to try these rollers I got at Ross's for forever.  
Well, today is my lucky day.
I have all the time in the world.
No interruptions.
No one to need my attention.
Look, I made an amazing spinach, bean, egg, barbecued chicken salad
for lunch.....or brunch anyway.
I ate at 10:45.
I can eat when I want....no ones schedule to mind but my own.

 Hey....four eggs...why 4?  
I only needed one....just me, myself, and I.

I know I will enjoy my time and be productive....
give me a few days.
I need to get past all my...
"would-a, could-a, should-a's"

What-a-day!
How did your first day go?


3 comments:

Mamapierce said...

How did the curlers work? I spent my day trying to get tons of cleaning done. I hope to catch up soon so I can play during the day! :D

HB said...

1st - Lawson really does look sharp.

2nd - why is Ryker's back pack so loaded up on the first day? Do they get their books before the first day? I can't remember.

3rd - poor M...Post a picture of your curls - I bet they were tight. "tight" as in REALLY curly and permy...

4th - the first day of school was always one of the very best days of the year. Do you miss home schooling?

5th - What could you possibly be feeling guilty about on the first day of school??

Love ya,
HB

Melissa said...

HB - R's pack is loaded w/ class supplies....tissue box, paper towel roll, hand sanitizer.....donations that the kids are asked to bring.

Jill, Some of my curls were tight ringlets, others were still damp.....it was definitely a good learning experience and I will know what to do differently next time. But heck yeah, I will use those bad boys again.

The first day was a huge success for everyone. They all came back w/ fun, positive reports. We are off to a wonderful start.

Yes, today, looking back, maybe my feelings were a bit over the top. When all of your kids are taking off for nine months you have a tendency (or at least I do) to question your efforts as a mom. It is hard to explain.....but honestly the day turned out great.

I am taking Jill's route.....getting caught up on all the cleaning and odds and ends so I can create a schedule like last year. I am going to make a few additions and changes. I will keep you posted.