The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Friday, August 27, 2010

Vita-YUMMMMM!

I thought I would do a short post about the details of our family vita-mix drinks. This is one example of what might end up in a vita mix. I love the colorful mixture, it looks packed full of nutrition and health.
I always include a bunch of spinach, at least fill to half way up the blender. I almost always add two frozen lemon wedges (seeds and rinde included), raisins, flax seed, full sized carrot, a few spoonfuls of juice concentrate, or any sweetener that you prefer, bananas, watermelon (that is all I added in this batch) any berries, yogurt, melon, cucumber, zucchini, pumpkin, THE LIST GOES ON. By the way, any of these items can be frozen, it makes it so easy to keep them on hand.
The most important ingredient is ICE...LOTS OF IT. I continue to add as it blends up. Taking tastes until it is just so.
The left overs store magnificent in the fridge for 24 hours. I don't like them much older than that. This is a great healthy snack or fast breakfast, lunch, or dinner. If you are in my extended family you know I am very attached to my Vita-mix blender. I take it with us when we go home to Utah. This brings loads of persecution from the in-laws, and my own brothers, but who cares?.....let them wallow in their own unhealth if they want. My sisters and I will continue to sip away. My kids get these on a regular basis, almost every day. They still try to complain and whine, but they drink them down. Kevin on the other hand...fights it tooth and nail. The kids ask all the time why I don't "make him drink them"? I wish I could, unfortunately he gets to choose for himself wether or not to be healthy. When they are grown and on their own they will also get that privilege. I will not try and push this off as a weight loss help, I had a startling realization a few weeks back. Not sure what my deal was, but I slacked off one week and pretty much replaced my daily vita mix for dishes of BREYERS ICECREAM!!! DISHES. I just didn't care. I went all in with the ice cream. I ate with out care or concern. I knew what I was doing and I did it anyway. At the end of the week, I got on my trusty scale....knowing what I was going to see, and being ok with that. It was well worth this little set back. So to my utter amazement, and bewilderment, I had lost 3 pounds. What? As delighted as I was, I was also a little disappointed to realize that ice cream seems to be a better dieting aide than my healthy - most nutritious thing I eat all day my VITAMIX. Hmmmmm. Maybe it was just a fluke. That is how I choose to look at it. In my mind though, and I may try this soon, I wonder what would happen if I did the same thing with LOW FAT ICECREAM??????

2 comments:

Mamapierce said...

Uhhhh, what exactly IS that?

Melissa said...

Jill, I am going to try and post a link later, but it is basically just a supper powerful blender. Like a blendtek....but my preferred brand is a Vita Mix. I LOVE IT!!!