The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Friday, September 24, 2010

Close to disappointment.....

Ok....here it is, all of you coupon nay sayers.... here is your chance to gloat a bit. I had a rough time at Publix today. I got put through the ringer. After all was said and done it was a decent trip..... spent $49.48/ Saved $127.36, it did not come easy, and was not the best savings. Here is rundown : I got there, did my shopping, took a little longer than usual, I changed my mind on a few items, blah - deee - blah. By the time I was done wishy washing around I was really ready to get out of there in a flash. Not possible with a hoard of coupons, but just hoping.

I made the mistake of picking a line w/ a new guy....do not make that mistake yourself. After I had all my groceries loaded onto the belt I also realized he is a big time "talker", had a comment, remedy, or handy advice for just about every product that came across the scanner. I know a great deal about his dog now, and what kind of Smart Balance oil he pours on his food each day......and.....and...... So Steve had an associate near by to assist him in his training. I recognized Phil. He is an expert at his job, and takes it very seriously. Maybe a little more so than is necessary. In fact I try and avoid his line if possible because he has been one in the past to turn down certain competitor coupons that other cashiers say are completely fine. So this is not looking good. Too late to realize that now.

Finally we are starting to go through the coupons. By this time I have warned several customers that have come in line behind me. Some try and stick it out and end up leaving. One lady midway through got kinda loud and frustrated and took off. Yep...true story. Tina I understand if you cannot continue reading....I know this is hard to take.

We have crawled through the manufacture coupons, the competitor, the current Publix Qs and I am handing over the expired Store Qs that NEVER EXPIRE AT MY PUBLIX. You have heard me say it a million times. I have been told it time and again. BUT.....Nope, not today.......one of the first coupons does not go through, and I say, that is right, it is expired, you will have to manually enter it. Phil takes it and looks at the date......oooop, nope, it is past 30 days expired, sorry we can't take that. I was taken aback naturally.....hmmmmmm, now when did this change occur? Oh, just recently, we were having coupons come in that were close to a year expired. I was like....well yeah! Sure you were, that is the fantastic beauty of it. I said, well, if I can't use these coupons than I unfortunately will have to return quite a few items. He was like, that's fine. Ummmmm, ok, so me and another checker, Fisher, start digging through my full cart of bags, rifling out 2 packs of batteries, 2 cartons of Smart Balance milk.....and I am starting to get on edge. Phil took a hike up to the front desk and I went over and asked Loretta what in the heck? She said no way, it did not change, Phil is up in the night. I KNEW IT! I go back, Phil brings a manger, the manager says it is perfectly fine.

Me and the poor new guy, that was just trained in every coupon type known to man, as well as on returns, and buy backs, attempted to salvage and finish the transaction. Phil stood by with egg on his face.

OK - was I mortified? Surprisingly no. I knew I was not doing anything wrong, and that someone was just feeling smug and power hungry or something. I was definitely disappointed for the time that was wasted. This was a first for me, and although it was not the least bit enjoyable, I took it in stride. I did the old "Grin and Bear it" and I would do it again. I stand by my savings. I am ALL IN. I like the fact that you don't need to let people intimidate or try and bully you into agreeing w/ something that is not policy. Just stay polite and calm....it will work its way out. Don't be afraid to ask for clarification, and stand your ground when appropriate. I don't make the rules....I just play by them. I am having a hard time stopping w/the sayings and stuff, I am going to force quit right now.

McCauley and I made up for this episode later at the mall.

Part two:

The pair of us took off after school. M had a $10 Claires GC she got for her birthday burning a hole in her pocket. I had a severe hankering to sooth my annoyance from earlier w/ a little Dillards retail shopping therapie. This is what M purchased, a hair piece w/ beads in it. It is strikingly similar to her own hair color. We will take more pictures later, I have no doubt, but this gives you a quick sneak peak. She also bought a sparkly bright pink heart necklace that matches it. SWEET PURCHASE! I fronted her .60 cents.

Here is my score......70% off Gianni Binis - $20....they are super comfy. I will be sporting them on Sunday. McCauley had the best time trying on shoes while I made my mind up on one pair only. (It really was hands down on these though). She is convinced she fits into the ladies size 5's. She was a little bummed that I wouldn't get her the $99 rhinestone pimp pumps she was cruising around in. But then I reminded her that we each already had EXACTLY what we came for.

5 comments:

Shelly Hyde said...

that couponing drama is enough to scare me off. What a rat that Phil is.

Love the hair piece and the shoes. both stylin.

Anonymous said...

Dang! You deserve those darling yellow shoes!

HB said...

I'm with Shelly...I would probably be that lady behind you, late for an appointment wondering what the *#$&*$&@# was going on...Did she sigh loudly, tap her foot, thumb through a magazine, sigh again and put the magazine back more loudly then necessary? Yep...that was me. If she only knew how much money you actually saved she might be enticed to stay around and watch.

Way to stick with your guns, go for the gold, blame it on the rain (what?).

Love the shoes. McCaulley is beautiful...yikes, she is growing up fast!! HB

Mamapierce said...

You are an awesome couponer, girl. Good for you for sticking to your guns! I love coupons!

Sweet shoes and hair piece. :D

mytalkinghead said...

OHHHHHHHHH GEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! where do I begin on this today.. Let's see #1- How lame are chatty cashiers?! I mean I'm all for a nice lil convo and maybe a lil something like how's your day? or nice weather.. but when they insist on blathering on about every single thing you buy I feel that that will buy them one punch in the face from me. #2- Who the bleep does phil think he is?! Good for you for going around him and getting your deals min! He equally deserves a punch in the face IMHO. #3- In my very brief experience w/coupons people get so nasty.. Shoot. Even when I use my cash and take five seconds putting it away I feel peoples nasty looks. #4- well thanks to the fact that your new checker was such a chatty cathy, or maybe chatty chad, it prob made the last bit of your check out a little more enjoyable. other cashiers would be super bleeps. i.e. phil #5- nice hair piece on M, with a gallon of shine spray on her natural hair you won't even be able to tell the difference!;) She really is beautiful! What a pretty lady she is turning into! finally #6- Those shoes are adorable! Maybe you'll be ready for a trade when you come for your visit!! p.s. I've been wearing those red shoes you gave me, they make my feet numb, but I decided that's not really a big enough deal not to wear them! love you, K p.s.s. I love your sayings and puns!