The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Heedless WASTING....

Flagrant gluttony.  I have been documenting different incidents for a week or two in preparation for this post.  We have a problem here at our home.....it stems from the man I love.  With all his wonderful and redeeming qualities, he has one that really gets me down.  He wastes.  All the time.  He does not give a thought to excess......which I in turn am the opposite.  I realize I am fighting a loosing battle.  We are who we are.  He likes what he likes.  He does not like running out of pizza, or crescents, or Chocolate Ice cream........or, or, or.......He will always ere on the side of excess.  

I take after my Grandma Strong, she was alive during the depression.  She was a saver to the EXTREME.  My sisters will have to correct me if I am wrong, but if my memory serves me correctly (which I highly doubt), she would only chew a fourth of a piece of gum at one time.  If we asked for a piece of gum, that is what we would get.....try it out.  It is hard to keep track of that little guy.  I believe she would also separate the plys of t.p.  am I making this up????  I am honestly not sure.....but how would I think of something that insane on my own?  My point is,  yes, I take after her....and I am proud of that fact.  But I am NOT extreme in any way.  Just practical.  NOT gluttonous....except for maybe on extra special GNOs or holidays, etc.  

If you look at the first picture below of the pizza,  the left side is actually what is left after all members of our family have gorged themselves as much as possible.   The picture to the right is the wasted crust that is thoughtlessly thrown into one of the many empty boxes.  This is the way K orders.  When he is away I will order just enough.  None of us go hungry, but no extra either (there is no reason we need to be eating pizza for three days straight), plus, since we can all see there is not going to be a limitless supply of pizza slices to dive into, we also choose to eat our crust.  WIN - WIN.


 This next photo is another example of excess......K demands that we make TWO tubes of crescents when I bake these up for a "special" accent to a meal.  My thoughts are, this is NOT THE MEAL....it is a little "extra" that  enhances the meal.  No one needs 2, 3, or more crescents to eat with a meal.  If that were the case, the meal would not get eaten at all.
 OK, this just happened a week ago....apparently K HAS TO HAVE CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM IN THE HOME AT ALL TIMES, and AT ANY PRICE. (news to me)  Mind you....we had chocolate ice cream available here in the freezer for several weeks prior to him DYING for some.  He asked me to get some, I said sure, I will see if it goes on sale next week.  I will stock up.  Well, that was not going to cut it....he tried to make me go get some, but when that failed to happen immediately he took matters into his own hands and went to Walgreens at like 9:55pm.  He spent pretty much what I would spend on a weeks worth of groceries for what you see here.  PLUS....to top it off, he thought he got MINT Ice cream.....look closely.....you can see he actually got Pistachio Almond.  Not one single person in our home except for me will touch that ice cream with a ten foot pole.  Thank you so very much.  Now I am forced to waste my fat and calories on this crap....that I did not choose.  There is no way it is going to waste.......except for the obvious one that is on top of my hips.

PS - his emergency crisis is over and the chocolate ice cream still sits almost full in the freezer.  The Pistachio is almost gone, thanks to me.
 The thing that actually got this started in my mind was this shot below.  K wastes olive oil like you cannot believe.  These eggs are covered.  WHO would do this???  I cannot choke down his eggs anymore.  Sure they taste fine...but come on, it is soooooo dripping w/ oil.  I will take a pass thanks.




I love a handsome man in an apron!

On the flip side to all of this waste.....Kevin is one of the most GENEROUS people I know.  He would give you the shirt off his back.  He is generous with his time, very generous with his interesting gifts.  He is a sweet and wonderful husband and father, and a smart savvy business man.  With all the running of my mouth.... the bottom line is that it is ok that we are different on this issue.  K is my man and I love him in excess!

9 comments:

Aubrey said...

I could NOT eat those eggs either!! haha.
I think our husbands are living out of the same play book though. Everything you wrote sounds EXACTLY like Brent.
I also think that sometimes they do that because the couponing thing makes them feel like you think they don't make enough to support their family. More than one coupon friend has told me that her hubby feels that way when we hoard our inserts & print endless coupons. I think that the occasional splurge from them to make themselves feel better is okay.
Gotta love those guys!

HB said...

As Keri might say...HAAAAHHAHAHHAHAHAAAAHAHHAHAAAHHAHAHAHHAHA. I hate to say it, but I might be more with Kev on this one. NOT that I think it is a good thing, but as someone likes to point out to me "mirror, mirror on the wall, I am my Mother after all". You know how Mom always over cooks (makes too much food) so she doesn't run out? I am that same way. I also LOVE left overs. Travis doesn't dig them as much, but he has begged me to run to the store for ice cream. The difference here is I usually cave in. It does seem like you guys balance each other out. Tell Kev Hi for us. HB

Anonymous said...

You are such a great writer M! Loved this post. I'll help you polish off that Pistachio Almond! :)

Mamapierce said...

Your posts are so entertaining to read, Melissa.

Those eggs are DRENCHED in oil, oh, my, goodness!

I like pizza, crescents, & chocolate ice cream, too. Talk about comfort food. ;)

mytalkinghead said...

bahahaaaaaa! hug got it right. I haven't stopped laughing since I read this min, and I had to take a break to go cut abbie's hair before I had time to leave a comment.. So man, where do I begin, again.. First, I am the same as hug and mom. I HATE running out of food! I would much rather have left overs as to run out. I have been known in times past to be an over excess-er.. It helps to be one when you have the extra money to blow. I will say that my ways have changed a bit since my currant situation has changed a bit... I do love and appreciate using left overs now, and I absolutely cannot stand buying things at the market just to throw them away when they go bad. That really drives me crazy!.. As for cravings.. I get it. That's why coupons don't work for me so well. When you want it right now, it's hard to wait til it's on sale... I must say to kev, YIKES!!!! That much olive oil on the eggs, well, to each their own... And yes, grandma strong used to spend the whole drive to AZ separating the tissues into one ply! Oh and for our birthday, she would send us a half a stick of gum in our bday card.. I guess that was an extra splurge for her!.. Min, I love that you take pics so we can really get the full story, Thanks for that!!! LOVE YOU, Ker

mytalkinghead said...

OH, I left out that I really admire you and your ability/discipline to wait until your getting a screaming deal! I think that yes there is a time when you can maybe make an exception, and since having a child I feel that life is about making money.. and spending it.. sometimes on things that we really don't want to, like diapies and formula, but really there is a a great thing called balance... and you and kev are a perfect example!!

mytalkinghead said...

p.s. I know I said currant instead of current (please don't make hug give me the definition):) a thousand apologies!

Anonymous said...

I heart Kevin! You can tell him that. He will be very happy that I am siding with him on something. And he looks great in an apron too:)

And as you well know I am Kevin and YOU are Derek. And he makes me crazy always asking why we don't eat the last of everything on our plates... "UH cause we don't want to!!!"

Melissa said...

Okkkkeeeedoooookie, let me just say I actually LOVE leftovers as well. K has a hard time eating them. Don't picture every meal as me having us scrimping by, scraping the bowl or something. NOT SO. It is just the pizza that I would prefer not to have loafing around for days. Kev enjoyed your comments....me to!