The Story Makers.

The Story Makers.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

One of my Favorite sites.....

I really like books. I like holding them in my hands, seeing the different covers, sizes, I enjoy reading. I like the actual book itself. I have no desire to read an IPAD, or a phone, or a Kimble.....I don't even know if I am writing that correctly. I am old school, and I want a book in my hands. Maybe someday I will eat my words on this subject.

Reading makes me feel like I am on a mini vacation, probably because that is how I like to spend big chunks of time whenever we go away. My only complaint with reading is that I cannot stay awake for long stretches of time. It doesn't matter the hour of the day, I have to move, eat, drink....anything to try and stay awake! That is a real bummer, but I seem to make it through each book eventually. (V and I were just talking about this the other day....I know I am not alone with this nuisance).

This is my current basket of books waiting to be read. Many of them came by way of SWAP.COM This is the favorite site I am talking about. Just click on the link. Basically it is a place you can post any dvds, books, and games you have that you want to swap for something else. You just pay to ship your item. I have completed around 10 swaps. So far I have only swapped our dvds...they are really cheap to ship - around $1.75 or less. I in return get the book I have been looking for.
Below is todays stack of books from the library for the kids. I found some sweet new gems today. I am excited to report that I am an "official" library volunteer as of today. Giving back to the community....that is what I am all about.....Ha! I went in for training for a few hours today. I loved it. I will start out in youth services, my job will be to go in before the library opens every Tuesday, from 10 - noon, I will shelve the carts of returned books that have been checked in already, and pull the list of items that have been requested by patrons from other libraries for that day. Whooohooo!!!
One of the funnest things about my first day on the job was that some of my very cute primary kids came in while I was getting to know the Dewey Decimal System better. Little Dek and Izzy, as well as Michelle and Zack....plus I got to visit with their moms....who happen to be a few of my favorite people. So that was a very sweet bonus. At first I was excited that I get to go in before opening time....but after having been there while patrons (very professional language), were there I am wondering if I will like it as well. We shall see. One of the best parts about volunteering is that I get to go in the "OFF LIMITS" areas. Staff ONLY! Bingo....coming through peeps. It is a pretty sweet set up back there, I'm not going to lie.
The delivery that arrived today from my recent trade with SWAP.COM you should try it! Tina I got my book!!!! Mine is waaaaaayyyyyy smaller than yours, and the writing is miniature. Yipes!! Keri, did you ever finish ATLAS SHRUGGED??? What'd you think?

4 comments:

HB said...

I LOVE BOOKS!!! Congrats on the new job...I run into the sleepy problem as well, but try to fight off the snooze for as long as possible every night. Some nights I don't get tired at all...It never seems to matter which book I am reading. I like to be reading 2 or 3 books at a time...do you do that? I know Trav started Atlas Shrugged and he couldn't get through it, but I remember he liked it in the beginning. Let me know what you think about it. HB

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I LOVE that you are WORKING at the library! Finished Atlas Shrugged. Maybe you have to be sick in bed to be able to do it. I LOVED it.

Melissa said...

haha, you enjoyed our company until Z literally blew you away! ;) I'm really excited to get to do this. I've always had a HUGE love for books and wish I could read more. You should do some of the ward book club books with us...I can't get to many discussion meetings but it's fun to read books I'd never think to read again. Have fun with your new finds :)

Liz said...

I found your blog! I am definitely going to try out swap.com!